Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 40 S&W doublestack 5" build question

titandriver

I've been shooting a 6" Brazos SC and am going to sell it & go back to a 5 inch gun. My question for those of you who have done so: would you build on a long frame or a standard length frame? I'm leaning toward standard length but have never shot one; can anyone give me pros & cons?

Thanks!

Rich

I always thought the middle weight of the Tactical frame with the slide lightened would be a good combo. At first if you used a tungsten guide rod the weight might be close to an Edge. Then you could subtract weight as you became better.

C'mon Kyle, I'm tryin' to forget about that G20! It's relegated to pretty much just packin' duties now!

If you go with the light gun, shoot it for a good while (to get over any honeymoon feelings :) ), then break out the G20 and put them head to head. I'd be curious on your perspective.

I have a Brazo's SC long dust cover limited gun that I have been shooting for about 2 years. I got a back up built from parts won from STI Contigency and Jim Anglin b uilt it for me, it is a short dust cover gun with bull barrel.

When I first got the Anglin gun it was way too snappy and did not shoot anywhere near as flat as the Brazo's gun with the same load.

The slide on the Anglin build gun weighs 13.1oz, the slide on the Brazo's gun weighs 13oz, however the Anglin built gun does not have any lightening holes, the weight is reduced with ball cuts running the length of the entire slide, and it has weight removed on the razorback style top of slide serrations.

I added a tungston guide rod and stainless mainspring housing and stainless magwell to try and flatting out the way the gun shot, I ended up taking the stainless magwell off and have a dawson ice on there now.

With the same load both guns shot very close to the same, I am using 12 pound recoil springs in both and shoot 165gr or 170gr loads (I like the quick snap of the lighter load)

If I were going to order a gun I would would just have Bob build me another Semi Custom

Thanks for the info guys! So Jake, you said with the same loads the guns shot close to the same. I'm assuming this was after you got used to it a bit? Have you shot any matches with your backup pistol? If so, did your opinion of it change? My favorite Open pistol was a Dawson Mini-Stroker cuz it smacked my "dead" hands a fair amount, unlike the two softest ones I've ever owned, a Briley and an EGW. So I don't think I'd mind the "smack" of the SDC in my hands, in fact, it may force me to use a stronger grip with these arthritis stricken hands!

Kyle - I have actually been shooting my G20 a little bit, with 220's in 10mm cases, and that's what got me to thinking about a SDC Limited pistol. My six incher feels pretty heavy and ungainly right now, just wanted to get opinions of those who've been there. If I do get a SDC I will act upon your suggestion.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the info guys! So Jake, you said with the same loads the guns shot close to the same. I'm assuming this was after you got used to it a bit? Have you shot any matches with your backup pistol? If so, did your opinion of it change? My favorite Open pistol was a Dawson Mini-Stroker cuz it smacked my "dead" hands a fair amount, unlike the two softest ones I've ever owned, a Briley and an EGW. So I don't think I'd mind the "smack" of the SDC in my hands, in fact, it may force me to use a stronger grip with these arthritis stricken hands!

Kyle - I have actually been shooting my G20 a little bit, with 220's in 10mm cases, and that's what got me to thinking about a SDC Limited pistol. My six incher feels pretty heavy and ungainly right now, just wanted to get opinions of those who've been there. If I do get a SDC I will act upon your suggestion.

Thanks again guys!

Yes, the slide on the Brazo's cracked and had to be sent back and replaced, so I ended up using the Anglin built gun to finish out the season a year ago. Then once a got the Brazo's back at the beginning of this season I switched back and really noticed very little difference.

But that was after adding the additional weight to the Anglin short dust cover gun. It is not a smack that I notice in my hands, but when I first got the short dust cover gun the felt recoil and muzzle rise was very noticable, and not just to me, but to several fellow shooters that tried it out. Just putting the tungston guide rod changed it quite a bit, but then adding the weight in the grip with the stainless SVI mainspring really balanced it more. The stainless magwell was over kill.

That's what I wanted to hear Jake - thanks! I do have a Tungsten guide rod on hand as well as several steel mainspring housings, so no problems there. I don't think I'd opt for a heavy magwell though, so thanks for "testing" it out for me! Would you happen to have any match videos of you shooting both the LDC & the SDC? Sure would appreciate seein' 'em if you do!

Thanks!

Eric -- I currently shoot a Brazos SC 6 inch, bushing barrel. Difference in sight radius doesn't seem to matter much to these 61 year old eyes since I wear reading classes when shooting and can see either length sight radius clear & sharp whilst the target has just a hint of a blur. I can still delineate the scoring perfs out to about 18-20 yards, after that it's a bit more of a challenge!

Thanks!

That's what I wanted to hear Jake - thanks! I do have a Tungsten guide rod on hand as well as several steel mainspring housings, so no problems there. I don't think I'd opt for a heavy magwell though, so thanks for "testing" it out for me! Would you happen to have any match videos of you shooting both the LDC & the SDC? Sure would appreciate seein' 'em if you do!

Thanks!

This past May right after I got the Brazo's back with new slide

April of this year, special classifier match

Thank you very much Jake! Man, you guys must like cast bullets there eh? What weight bullets do you shoot? S&S Cast perhaps? Watching you shoot both your LDC & SDC it certainly didn't look like it slowed you down much, if at all, using the SDC! Looked like maybe a wee bit more flip, but certainly not much! Were your points about the same as when you shoot the LDC?

Thanks again, great vids!

Rich

Thank you very much Jake! Man, you guys must like cast bullets there eh? What weight bullets do you shoot? S&S Cast perhaps? Watching you shoot both your LDC & SDC it certainly didn't look like it slowed you down much, if at all, using the SDC! Looked like maybe a wee bit more flip, but certainly not much! Were your points about the same as when you shoot the LDC?

Thanks again, great vids!

Rich

Actually the first shooter Aron Bright and I am shooting 170gr precision bullets, I am using tightgroup and yes it is very smokey.

During majors I use 165 montana gold or rainier 165 hp.

Hits are the same, and no I shoot both guns the same.

The load that I am using feels pretty the same as the 200gr load I use for single stack, very quick snap, shoots flatter or at least feels flatter, able to track the sights easy, the front sight stays in my focus and does not lift out of it, tracks very easy

• 2 weeks later...

Can you elaborate what it is you don't like a out the 6"? I initially wanted a 5" short dust cover and when I started shopping around and asking questions, Bobby Keigans suggested I go with a 6". I thought about it and read everything I could about 6" guns.. I went ahead and got a 6" bull barrel with spiral fluting. The slide is uber lightened as well.. It is very flat shooting, and cycles very fast. I actually prefer the timing of the gun with major pf ammo over minor. The recoil is very tame as well.