Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting 3 gun at local club

Myself and a few others are thinking about getting 3 gun matches going at a local club. Do you seasoned guys have any tips to help get this going or to make it easier. The club and club manager are 100% supportive and really want to make this happen.

Is there already an established USPSA or IDPA club running matches out of the same range? If so, recruit volunteers and shooters from the same base of shooters.

Also arrange to borrow their props. Perhaps setup some kind of deal where they can leave some stages up to be torn down later by the 3-gun shooters.

they used to host USPSA but havent in many years so I am sure they dont have any equipment.

No equipment of any kind?

At a minimum, you will need timers and something to shoot at. What kind of areas can you shoot in (berms, field, forrest, etc.)?

Your USPSA director is Area Gary Stevens, Area5@uspsa.org, phone:(606) 255-7281.

I would start with a call there. Ask him who the Section co-ordinator is and see if there is some assistance and help they can provide. My Area Director (A2) and Section Co-ordinator have been very helpful in getting our multi-gun matches up and running. We applied for a grant from NSSF and got thousands of dollars for steel which we bought from MGM, who also gave us a very good deal.

Edited by MarkCO

Why dont you tell us what you DO have as far as equipment, props, and volunteers?

decide on what kind of scoring and rules system you are going to use. I'm getting this same thing going here locally, and I use a slightly modified version of Denise's rules. Also, used excel to print me some dedicated score sheets with clearly defined scoring, cuts down on drama at the match.

Advice: keep your first one simple and see what works and what dont. you've been to bigger matches and you've seen what kind of stages you like shooting... but that dont mean you can pull em off right out off the bat. I kinda failed first time i did this because i didnt anticipate all the variables.

• 3 weeks later...

they used to host USPSA but havent in many years so I am sure they dont have any equipment.

At a minimum, you will need timers and something to shoot at. What kind of areas can you shoot in (berms, field, forrest, etc.)?

Your USPSA director is Area Gary Stevens, Area5@uspsa.org, phone:(606) 255-7281.

I would start with a call there. Ask him who the Section co-ordinator is and see if there is some assistance and help they can provide. My Area Director (A2) and Section Co-ordinator have been very helpful in getting our multi-gun matches up and running. We applied for a grant from NSSF and got thousands of dollars for steel which we bought from MGM, who also gave us a very good deal.

Is there an organization/director in South Carolina that might help with grants. We could sure use some more/better steel.

Is there an organization/director in South Carolina that might help with grants. We could sure use some more/better steel.

Your AD is Linda Chico: area6@uspsa.org

NRA and NSSF are two organizations you should research w.r.t. grants for targets and start up assistance. We just received our final installment from a NSSF grant.

Your AD is Linda Chico: area6@uspsa.org

NRA and NSSF are two organizations you should research w.r.t. grants for targets and start up assistance. We just received our final installment from a NSSF grant.

Thank you very much for the info.

The grant instructions on the NSSF website states that the "Operation and maintenance of equipment and supplies and purchase of new equipment." is NOT eligable for grants. How did you guys manage to use the funds on steel? Have the criteria changed?

Adam,

Not the huge range in Dorr?

Dorr isnt interested in hosting/starting 3 gun matches there, which is a real shame, they have the perfect setup. It is a club on the east side of grand rapids.

The grant instructions on the NSSF website states that the "Operation and maintenance of equipment and supplies and purchase of new equipment." is NOT eligable for grants. How did you guys manage to use the funds on steel? Have the criteria changed?

We applied for purchase of targets necessary to start matches for a new discipline.

We applied for purchase of targets necessary to start matches for a new discipline.

Ok, I'm on the same page now. I guess I'll be writing a grant. Thanks for the help!