Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Western single stack classic/ 230gr--clays

Recon'sHide

Greetings and salutations!

I am traveling up to Mesa AZ for their single stack classic, using 230 gr round nose berrys with clays 4gr/coal is 1.25 out of a trojan 5 inch. Now, with 4 grains I am not making power factor. With the elevation and cool temps I am wondering if I should switch powders to solo 1000 especially since Clays 4 grains is at the top of the charts--dont want to chrono a minor!

So any Mesa boys/girls loading clays/230 grainers @ elevation making PF? If so what bullet, weight and coal are you using to make sure PF is spot on?

Thanks & Happy Holidays!

David

I would never suggest anyone use a load outside published limits but I can tell you that a great many shooters, including me, have to push the published Clays loads by a few tenths of a grain to make major. I ran 4.3 gr Clays with 230 gr MG and Hornady HAP, and run 4 gr Clays with Precision 230s to make pf=175. I have to similarly push the 200 grain loads to make major.

BB

I would never suggest anyone use a load outside published limits but I can tell you that a great many shooters, including me, have to push the published Clays loads by a few tenths of a grain to make major. I ran 4.3 gr Clays with 230 gr MG and Hornady HAP, and run 4 gr Clays with Precision 230s to make pf=175. I have to similarly push the 200 grain loads to make major.

BB

Thanks BB,

Appreciate the heads up...4.0 grains requires a bump...4.2--4.3grains...off to the range tomorrow for the chrono.

Best regards,

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...