Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock new 22 round mags?

TacticalReload

So I noticed that Glock has started releasing a new factory 22 round mag in .40. Has anyone tried using these mags with one of the various mag extensions? If so, are they reliable? How many rounds can you get into them? Are they the correct length to be in Open? (that last question is probably the most important)

So I noticed that Glock has started releasing a new factory 22 round mag in .40. Has anyone tried using these mags with one of the various mag extensions? If so, are they reliable? How many rounds can you get into them? Are they the correct length to be in Open? (that last question is probably the most important)

The factory Glock 22 rnd mags are already close to the 170mm limit. You can't get an extended basepad on them and still be legal.

Best bet for .40 Glock Open is to use 15 rnd mags with a Dawson or Taylor Freelance basepad, which should give you about 20 rnds.

For a big-stick mag, use a 15 rnd mag with a Taylor Freelance +8 extension. You can actually get +9 in them, for a total of 24 rnds.

Edited by Parallax3D

The factory Glock 22 rnd mags are already close to the 170mm limit. You can't get an extended basepad on them and still be legal.

Best bet for .40 Glock Open is to use 15 rnd mags with a Dawson or Taylor Freelance basepad, which should give you about 20 rnds.

For a big-stick mag, use a 15 rnd mag with a Taylor Freelance +8 extension. You can actually get +9 in them, for a total of 24 rnds.

My Limited mags are the 15 rounders plus Dawson extensions. I haven't handled a 22 rounder... I was hoping swapping the Dawsons onto them would make an easy / cheap fix to getting 170mm mags without having to buy a bunch of $50 extensions. Every time I think I might shoot Open, I eventually have to come to grips with the fact that I can't afford it. :angry2:

How about a 22 rounder and a +2? Is that longer than 170mm? Of course, now that I do the math, a 15 and a +8 Taylor is only 23 rounds so the loss of one round is probably not that big a deal if I just wanted to run 22 rounders. I suppose the addition of a weighted baseplate to a 22 rounder is probably not that bad an option.

Plus that will stop the all-to-frequent occurrence of the smashing of my pinky between the mag extensions and my magwell. :surprise:

Edited by TacticalReload

The Glock +2 extension will get you 24 rounds, but it won't be legal. Too long.

Like I said, the Glock 22 rnd mag is pretty much at the limit of the 170mm rule. ANY extension will put it over the limit.

BTW - The Taylor +8 extension will actually give you +9, for a total of 24 rnds!

The Glock +2 extension will get you 24 rounds, but it won't be legal. Too long.

Like I said, the Glock 22 rnd mag is pretty much at the limit of the 170mm rule. ANY extension will put it over the limit.

BTW - The Taylor +8 extension will actually give you +9, for a total of 24 rnds!

My Taylor's are holding 24 but they don't want to stay in except at slide lock. So the 22 rounders would be cheap way to gain 7 rounds over a standard mag. Afterall using a 40 almost always means you are going to do more reloads than a 9 major.