Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.451 or .452 LSWC ?Which one would give more accuracy?

Canuck63

Hi all,

I've got a hundred million bucks question for you!I'm running outta 200grs LSWC and next weekend I'm going to get 10k of them from my supplier.My 1911s (a Les Baer Premier II Super Tac,a Les Baer Concept V and an ADC Custom with a KKM bull) deliver ridicolously tight groups with .451 bullets but I could just as easily have them in .452...would I get more accuracy (just for the sake of it and out of curiosity )with them or I may as well save my friend the hassle of going and get them in the warehouse?

My fave load is a slight variation of the "Wilson Load" that will give me a 175 PF,i.e. a .451 200 grainer over 4,7grs of N310,CCI LP primers and a 1.245 COL.My guns' barrel are virtually new,hence no wear to speak of.

TIA

Manny

If you get "ridiculous tight" groups in all 3 guns w/ .451 why would you even consider .452? Maybe the question is what do you consider a tight group?

Hi Buckaroo,

your reply makes a lot of sense!I consider the average size of several groups shot aiming at a 4"x4" white square at 20yds from a rest(not a Ranson though!)....I can get 1/2" (1" being the widest) single ragged holes in the middle of the square and add to that that I'm a real bad shot!IMO plenty of accuracy for IPSC matches but you never have too much, have you? :D

:cheers:

Manny

Edited by Canuck63

I should add to that that I also used .452 slugs with no evident increase or decrease of accuracy.I had thought to get a few .450 bullets to see if I can decrease felt recoil with them,but,then again,I could easily run into unsufficient sealing and leading!

:cheers:

Manny