Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Vs DAA Race Master Holsters

mioduz

I have been using an old Bianchi Hemisphere that was included with my open gun for about a year now. I just received my first limited gun and want to consolidate gear so that I can run both my open gun and limited gun off the same belt. I have been reading a lot of reviews. I had my mind kind of set on a Ghost holster until I borrowed one to use. The lock is somewhat fidgety to get on. Not a huge concern but it was there. I started looking at other options and I guess I have narrowed it down to the Ghost and the DAA Race Master. Can anyone with experience with both chime in and tell me their thoughts. I searched high and low and could not find any threads directly comparing the two.

I only have experience with the Racemaster. I can tell you that the location of the lock is just about perfect. I ran my first match this past weekend and started every stage with the gun locked in the holster. The switch is in the perfect location to hit on the draw, and the gun is rock solid in the belt with the lock engaged.

There was a young shooter at the same match who got a rope caught between his gun and holster at the match. The gun hit the ground (luckily didn't go off) and he got DQ'd. That wouldn't have happened with the Racemaster.

I used a Ghost with an Open G17 for a while. I have a neuropathy in my hands and never got real comfortable with the Ghost lock either. I peddled off the Ghost when I sold the Glock. New owner says he has no issues with it. Went to a Hogue Power Speed for my Para P16 Limited and it's a fast draw plus it locks up like Ft Knox. Had to whittle on it a bit to clear the oversized mag release but nothing major. Cleared stock mag release w/ no trouble. I use the Race Master for my 625 and 627 revo's and gotta say it's as sweet as a revo holster gets for me. I have Race Master inserts for 1911 and small frame Glock but haven't had a need for either. I'll probably put them up for sale after Christmas. Between the Ghost and Race Master, I prefer the Race Master. :cheers:

Ron

TY63917

Locking the Ghost for me is a 2 handed task but is really easy, I reach behind the locking knob with my weak hand index finger and using the nail flat against the lock I apply a little presure toward the holster (it doesn't take much to depress the spring)and then I flick the lock down with my strong hand index finger. Takes .28 seconds... :cheers:

The DAA Racemaster provides the versatility and flexibility that you may desire in a holster. The lock is positioned in an ideal area, multiple adjustments, the ability of using another insert for other firearms, and retention that is unmatched.

For a few more dollars I would consider the Racemaster.

Thanks,

Robby

I have never seen a DAA up close but I own a Ghost. The lock works two ways, lever up or lever down. I always lock it up between stages because it is almost impossible to hit it and accidentally lose the gun. If I am starting seated, I lock it with the lever down. Your hand while grasping the grip can trip the lever with your middle finger and draw without much added time. Lets face it, in those stages, you usually stand and move so the draw speed is not so important. I just push the locking lever in with my RH thumb then push the lever up by sliding my thumb up. You can do it one handed and is pretty easy once familiar with it. Mioduz, I think you shoot at Gem City, if you are there in Jan. you can try my holster.

I have used both holsters. Never felt comfortable with the Ghost holster after my gun fell out (locked) while taping targets. To me the DAA holster has a better locking system. I am able to turn 180 degrees with the lock off without any problem. Just my 2 cents worth.

Hello: I have used both Ghost holsters and use the DAA Race Master now. The old Ghost with the pin was more secure than the Ghost without the pin. The Race Master is more secure than either of them. These were all used with a STI 2011's in either Open or Limited divison. The new Race Master block is more secure than the first generation also. I would get the Race Master since you can get different blocks to hold different pistols and revolvers. Shooters Connection has them in stock. Thanks, Eric

I have never seen a DAA up close but I own a Ghost. The lock works two ways, lever up or lever down. I always lock it up between stages because it is almost impossible to hit it and accidentally lose the gun. If I am starting seated, I lock it with the lever down. Your hand while grasping the grip can trip the lever with your middle finger and draw without much added time. Lets face it, in those stages, you usually stand and move so the draw speed is not so important. I just push the locking lever in with my RH thumb then push the lever up by sliding my thumb up. You can do it one handed and is pretty easy once familiar with it. Mioduz, I think you shoot at Gem City, if you are there in Jan. you can try my holster.

Yes I do shoot at Gem City. Just started shooting this spring. Trying to work my way up. I will get a lot of practice over winter shooting the Friday night shoots and the normal matches. My dad who shoots with me also has a ghost. I like its retention and its draw and its size. I just didnt care for how the unit locks. His was somewhat hard to get into that locked position. Easiest way took two hands, which is not a deal breaker, but it seams as though the Race Master may be easier, and from what I am hearing have better lockup.

I have to do same decision. Been shooting with CR Speed past two years, but the new gun won't fit. So my choice is between Racemaster and Ghost.

I had Ghost in the past and when you glue down two screws on locking lever it's ok, plus position of the locking lever is adjustable. I've also handling few racemasters, but in the last two the gun was wobbling in them, considering the price that shouldn't happen. Ghost isn't the tight fit also, but you have two screws on top and one inside to fine adjust and eliminate all the wobbling. For Ghost you can also buy a spare block for different gun, at least in Europe we have such an option. Most concerning with Ghost is that you can hear "click" before the gun is fully seated, if you release the gun will fall. Happened to me two times at first (luckily both times empty). After that I was always double checking if the gun is properly seated.

I own both. I used the Ghost (2nd generation) for about two years before trying the Racemaster. The Racemaster is better in all areas. It is definitely much more secure and can be adapted for different guns.

I'll be happy to sell you my used Ghost. :devil:

Edited by XD Niner

I must agree the DAA Race Master holster is great for me I saw one with a friend during the summer. I was surprised of how it did not move at all. I have owned all of them Ghost ,Cr Speed, Safariland and Limcat. When I attempted to move his Open gun I couldn't.All my other holsters similar to the DAA Holster will rotate on the trigger guard. The DAA Race Master Holster does not. The mag pouches are a little high but still worth every penny. I like the metal and magnet idea.Saul Kirsch is a shooter and knew what the best way to manufacture a holster.Congratulations Saul you did a wonderful holster for us competition shooters.

To top it off, Saul Kirch provides excellent customer service is quick to respond to questions here in the dealer forums.

Have used both the Ghost and am now running the RaceMaster. Saul has mailed me replacement parts (yeah, I lost 'em) for no cost. LockTite has now become my friend.... :-)

Saul mailed the replacements from Europe.....

HH

Well as it turns out I ordered the DAA Racemaster last week, and my dad got me a ghost for christmas. Lucky me. I will evaluate both and make a decision. However I think from all the comments here i will be keeping the DAA. Think shooters connection will credit me for the Ghost? I think i would like to pick up a CED 7000 Pro from them.

Just one question, Is any lefties using these holsters? I am wondering if they are easier to work than my CR Speed world shoot. I am leaning more towards the DAA Race master right now.

Thanks,

Mark

I am a lefty using the RM. I was using a Safariland 013 and have tried a Ghost, but I have not tried a CR Speed. My draw is not always straight up and the Safariland would sometimes not release easily. The RM is very fast and I feel it is the best holster I have tried.

When I am trying to draw really fast I can hit the lock down with the middle knuckle of my middle finger. This happens when I am really trying to be fast and only about 1 out of 20 times. For lefties the lock is farther away from the body on the outside of the holster so it is easier to hit accidentally. I have considered changing the shape of the locking lever, but for now I have a piece of velcro on the holster that blocks the locking lever.

Just one question, Is any lefties using these holsters? I am wondering if they are easier to work than my CR Speed world shoot. I am leaning more towards the DAA Race master right now.

Thanks,

Mark

I am a lefty using the RM. I was using a Safariland 013 and have tried a Ghost, but I have not tried a CR Speed. My draw is not always straight up and the Safariland would sometimes not release easily. The RM is very fast and I feel it is the best holster I have tried.

When I am trying to draw really fast I can hit the lock down with the middle knuckle of my middle finger. This happens when I am really trying to be fast and only about 1 out of 20 times. For lefties the lock is farther away from the body on the outside of the holster so it is easier to hit accidentally. I have considered changing the shape of the locking lever, but for now I have a piece of velcro on the holster that blocks the locking lever.

Same here. I found that if I rolled my hand over the top of the grip it could flip the safety on. I practiced some in just doing a straight up and down draw or a snatch draw and have not had any problems since. It may take some practice for you though.

BTW a Race Master wedgie is every bit as uncomfortable as a Ghost wedgie.

To top it off, Saul Kirch provides excellent customer service is quick to respond to questions here in the dealer forums.

Have used both the Ghost and am now running the RaceMaster. Saul has mailed me replacement parts (yeah, I lost 'em) for no cost. LockTite has now become my friend.... :-)

Saul mailed the replacements from Europe.....

HH

I dont have experience the a ghost, but can speak of the excellent customer service from Saul.. I lost my tensioner screw and spring (completely my fault), I contacted Saul and he replied within an hour or two saying the parts were on there way... No charge!

His customer service is really what keeps me coming back, let alone i love the holster. Next i will buy the mag pouches and sell my plastic cr speeds.

No one's said anything about the belt attachments yet? The DAA sure looks like it's gonna dig into your leg like crazy.

I actually mentioned this in a review posted to the CED website and probably here as well.

Saul responded saying that he had not, until then, heard complaints about the vertical bar digging into ones thigh. I still like something shorter like my old Limcat, or something with a thigh pad, but honestly, I think I've gotten used to it and I barely notice it. It's most noticable, but not painful, when doing seated starts or shooting low ports that force a deep squat.

I didn't ask Saul about an add-on thigh pad but someone with some creativity and talent could probably fabricate something.

I like mine (DAA RM).

I've been running the DAA-RM holster for about 6 mo. with the aluminum mag pouches.the best IMHO. The aluminum mag pouches are the only way to go. Very very smooth, lots of adjustments , holds tight and releases when you want like butter. And i would suggest the DAA magnet for mags on table starts. Great stuff!