Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 PMAG problem

Buruli

I had trouble in a 3 gun match yesterday with a PMAG inserting too far on an open bolt. I inserted the mag and it went in too far so I couldn't close the bolt. It wedged in tight and I had to pull hard and wiggle it to get it out. If I insert the PMAGS gently they go in fine and also drop free, but if I push them in hard they jam. It does it on most of my PMAGS and on both my lower receivers. It does not do it on steel mags. I’ve had this problem now in several matches.

What’s going on?? Are ALL my PMAGS out of spec? Are BOTH my lowers out of spec. I do tend to jam it in pretty hard, but seems to me it shouldn't be a matter of getting the right “touch.” Any ideas on what's going on? Anybody had this problem?

Are the mags seating past the mag catch?

If so, I would tighten up my mag catch/release a couple of turns and see if you were just not getting enough engagement with the magazine. See if that helps.

I have several p-mags, procured variuos ways, and they all have worked w/o issue.

What kind of lowers are they? Are you using "P"mags or "E"mags?

With my lowers and PMags short of a sledge hammer that's not happening.

If you've got EMags or the mag well has been opened up/billet lower with a flared mag well I could see it going further.

Whatever the case I wouldn't worry about it too much, my STI's do the same thing. My first plan is don't run completely dry, backup plan is don't gorilla the mag in during the reload if I do.

JD Machine lowers. PMAGS

I'm a lefty and have a Troy left side mag release. Just tried tightening it up and it seems to be working. Thanks all for the advice. Need to get some time on the gun to be sure fully resolved but seems better.

Not all mag catch springs are created equal. A good quality spring properly installed will take a tremendous amont of effort to overseat a mag. Much more than the reasonable amount of force needed to seat one under most circumstances. And if you are jamming it in so hard as to force a P-mag too far in your lower, I would question the undue wear and tear the metal mags are imparting to the mag catch. Bottom line is if you are forcing them in that hard, you aint doin it right.