Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 650

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See if this helps Kevin (from my 650 notes)

Use front 2 holes on the Strong Mount - align the bottom hole in the bracket with the bottom hole on the Strong Mount, then the top one will line up.

What's confusing, is that, when you look at it from the left side, the top part of the bracket is not level.

Which is how it's supposed to be, because the back side of the Bullet Tray is higher than the front edge.

See if this helps Kevin (from my 650 notes)

Use front 2 holes on the Strong Mount - align the bottom hole in the bracket with the bottom hole on the Strong Mount, then the top one will line up.

What's confusing, is that, when you look at it from the left side, the top part of the bracket is not level.

Which is how it's supposed to be, because the back side of the Bullet Tray is higher than the front edge.

I finally got it on. What was throwing me off was my bracket has 5 holes. 3 small and 2 larger. I used the small holes on the 550 which were a perfect fit for the mounting screws. I ended up matching the lowest small hole with the bottom hole in the strongmount. I was able to match one of the larger holes up with the top hole in the SM. I figured the larger holes were for something else but it worked out fine. It's tight and not going anywhere.

Next thing I found out: It's not a press issue at all. But when the case feeder runs and brass passes the switch my fluorescent lights flicker. The lights are plugged into the outlets so I guess it's surging somehow. Any ideas on how to eliminate or reduce the effect?

Got the press pretty much set up. Got the dies in but still need to adjust them all. With the tool head being a tad thicker than the 550 my Udie had to have the nut on the bottom. It was only grabbing a thread or two when on top.

The loaded round bin bracket(Chute) was bent and was hanging up in the case feeder works. Had to take it off and bend it a few different ways to get it to clear everything. Good to go now.

The press came with grease fittings which I guess is a nice touch. I'll have to see if my little SNAP ON grease gun will work somehow.

Fired up the casefeeder and ran a few hundred through it into an empty bin. Everything worked as advertised. No upside down cases, etc. Pretty nice setup.

The shell plate really does snap quite a bit. I have the bearing kit for it so I guess I'll drop some powder this weekend and see if it snaps too much for my 9MAJOR loads.

Heck of a lot bigger than a 550, that's for sure!

Sarge, a cheap UPS system should stop that. A plus side to the UPS is that if you lose power, you'll have a few minutes to settle everything before the lights go totally out. I bought one a month or so back...I think it was around $50 and gives me 20 minutes of time after the power goes out....Totally stops all surges....

Sarge, a cheap UPS system should stop that. A plus side to the UPS is that if you lose power, you'll have a few minutes to settle everything before the lights go totally out. I bought one a month or so back...I think it was around $50 and gives me 20 minutes of time after the power goes out....Totally stops all surges....

I'll have to look into that. The flickering will get old in a hurry. Thanks Grumpy!

The shell plate really does snap quite a bit. I have the bearing kit for it so I guess I'll drop some powder this weekend and see if it snaps too much for my 9MAJOR loads.

Tighten up the shell plate a little bit at a time until if softens the "landing". Watch the primer station and make sure it's stopping centered or you'll bugger up your primers. If it isn't, back off the bolt just bit until you find a good trade off between reduced snapping and stopping centered. After your first 50 rounds and then at 500 rounds, check it again.

Another tip to happy loading is to tighten that darn fail safe rod nut every time you add primers, but DO NOT over tighten as the Powder Measure will stop working, the square piece of plastic will jump out ot the slot. +1 I tighten my shell plate till it has a slight amount of drag to keep from slinging powder everywhere. I do have the bearing kit but I don't run a washer on the bottom, I just let it ride on the shell plate. You do have to bend the eject spring slightly with this arrangment, and it that spring creeps out of the hole, then it will snap and sling powder. And I did cut the detent ball spring.

Best to avoid Crimped Primer cases, I developed a feel for them, I don't see good enough to sort them out. Brail method.

Tighten up the shell plate a little bit at a time until if softens the "landing". Watch the primer station and make sure it's stopping centered or you'll bugger up your primers. If it isn't, back off the bolt just bit until you find a good trade off between reduced snapping and stopping centered. After your first 50 rounds and then at 500 rounds, check it again.

I did the bearing fix and it helped quite a bit, but was still not really perfect, it still loses some.. (I'm loading .40 Major) I then "Clipped" 1 coil off under the ball which improved it more,

but I believe it still needs a bit more removed to be closer to perfect; I'm also training myself to either hold my finger over the case after the powder station, or place my bullet @ that time...

Enjoy it Sarge, I'm crazy about my new 650.. (It may make me crazier though..!) Lol.!

tighten that darn fail safe rod nut every time you add primers

I got rid of the blue nut thingy a long time ago on my 550 because it would always work loose. I use two nuts to make a lock nut once I have it set. I generally tighten it just enough to make the dispenser dip just a little when I push the handle forward.

Best to avoid Crimped Primer cases I have been called crazy but I sort my brass very meticulously This habit should prove helpful with the case feeder. I should know exactly what is going to drop every time and what condition it is in.

Lessons learned today:

I worked on the snapping shell plate and found that clipping the spring worked great for a little while. I had to really tighten the plate down. Too tight for my liking. There was enough drag that no matter how tight I tightened the brass tipped screw the plate would eventually work loose. Also, the plate wanted to back up if I loosened the plate a little. It was much worse at backing up when it picked up a case from the feeder.

My uneducated guess? I cut too much off the spring.

So I put a new spring in and put the bearing with one washer on it and it was pretty smooth. The snap was virtually eliminated. It is a good set up! I only ran one washer so the eject wire seems to still be fully seated and should not need bending. I topped off some 9mm casings with WAC and it was not even close to spilling out when I operated the press at full tilt.

I did my initial die set up and am in the ball park with bell, oal and crimp. I'll fine tune it when I get the plate full.

I did find that my primer cup bracket was pretty much mangled and had to straighten it out so the cup would fit. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to rig up a spent primer contraption of some kind.

So far the case feeder works perfect. It will be nice not having to let go of the handle for a change.

I'll be loading on it soon. Probably Christmas weekend since I am off for three days and we already had our Christmas. Looking forward to a nice lazy weekend!

When I installed the bearing mod on my new 650 it took at least 500 rounds to settle down. Had to adjust 3 to 4 times as it will loosen up as things start to wear in. Touchy adjustment as you already found out. After initial wear in I haven't had to touch it in the last 6000 rounds. A little spot of Slide Glide under the plate will also help.

Worked on powder drop tonight. After getting used to the 550 the 650 powder adjust knob is backwards. It's on the back of the measure. Every time I got close I would turn the knob the wrong way and have to start over!goof.gif

The shell plate started snapping a little after about 50 pulls on the handle. Retightened the shell plate to hopefully settle the bearing a little. And I discovered the powder WILL pop out of my case and they are only 3/4 full. I need to keep working on it.

I still want to clip the spring but I only have one left.

Anyone have a few they will sell me in case I cut this next one too short as well?laugh.gif