Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Happy 650 Discoveries

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago when I got a new 650. You guys were really helpful, so I wanted to share a couple of things I found:

1. I asked what could be done to stop the endless procession of primers into (and off of) the ski jump when first trying to set up and dial in all the dies on a toolhead. The LnL doesn't replace a new primer with yet another new primer until the first one is inserted into a case--and I was very accustomed to this feature. When trying to run just one case through all the 650 stations to set everything up, the five escaping primers were bugging me. I figured out how to stop that. All you need to do is remove the large black sloping plastic piece on the very front of the machine that causes the primer feed to advance. It functions a lot like the large cam block on the casefeed. One screw removes it quickly. Just remember to screw it back in when you want primers to start up again. :)

2. Similarly, if you're trying to run just one case through all the stations, you don't really want cases to keep flowing from the case feeder. I noticed on one of the Ultimate Reloader videos that Gavin had a special metal clip that keeps the pivoting case bushing shelf from moving. I made one myself out of a piece of stiff wire coat hanger. It looks like a gigantic staple. One end fits into the case bushing itself, and the other end sits on the outside of the press to keep the unit from returning back under the tube to fetch a new case.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there....

Alternatively, I just put my largest allen wrench in the case feed bushing, which keeps it from swinging over to pick up a new case. It is especially convenient if you have Dillon's tool rack right there, bolted to your press.

-Steve

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago when I got a new 650. You guys were really helpful, so I wanted to share a couple of things I found:

1. I asked what could be done to stop the endless procession of primers into (and off of) the ski jump when first trying to set up and dial in all the dies on a toolhead. The LnL doesn't replace a new primer with yet another new primer until the first one is inserted into a case--and I was very accustomed to this feature. When trying to run just one case through all the 650 stations to set everything up, the five escaping primers were bugging me. I figured out how to stop that. All you need to do is remove the large black sloping plastic piece on the very front of the machine that causes the primer feed to advance. It functions a lot like the large cam block on the casefeed. One screw removes it quickly. Just remember to screw it back in when you want primers to start up again. :)

2. Similarly, if you're trying to run just one case through all the stations, you don't really want cases to keep flowing from the case feeder. I noticed on one of the Ultimate Reloader videos that Gavin had a special metal clip that keeps the pivoting case bushing shelf from moving. I made one myself out of a piece of stiff wire coat hanger. It looks like a gigantic staple. One end fits into the case bushing itself, and the other end sits on the outside of the press to keep the unit from returning back under the tube to fetch a new case.

He is what I use for these issues.

dsc04420c.jpg

dsc04418hj.jpg

dsc04422k.jpg

casefeedstop1.jpg

casefeedstop2.jpg

casefeedstop3.jpg

I use one fired unprimed .38 special peice of brass instead of a coat hanger wire, a perfect fit.

That is a good idea too. I also like the idea of the allen wrench, I just picked up the allen wrench kit/mount because I got tired of all my wrenches laying on the bench. Lots of good ideas here - on my wire I hang it from the holes in the strong mount, so its always a easy reach, and doesnt clutter up the work bench.

The primer advance system is one thing that I think Dillon didnt do right, LnL & Loadmaster both cheaper presses dont advance primers until a case is present. I made that little piece of metal and it works well and takes seconds to put in and out. Its made out of shim stock, and the bend is so you can get it in there better with your fingers.

Edited by ScottyPotty

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I do my setup different i guess. I hand feed in a case to set the powder, etc. Make a dummy for seating depth and crimp.

No primers or cases in the machine yet.

Then put in cases, pull the hamdle til one is over the primer station, remove case, put primers in the tube, advance by hand until a primer is at the station, insert case, push forward and all is in sync.

there is a pretty good video on you tube on how to disable both of these issuses.

Check this guy out :

these are the methods that I use and they work well. I will say that for load development the LNL is a little easier mainly for the 2 above issues but in every other way as far as I can tell the dillon 650 is superior.

there is a pretty good video on you tube on how to disable both of these issuses.

Check this guy out :

these are the methods that I use and they work well. I will say that for load development the LNL is a little easier mainly for the 2 above issues but in every other way as far as I can tell the dillon 650 is superior.

That was too painful to watch... :surprise: