Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz decocker acting up

motosapiens

I recently put a lighter spring kit and new hammer in my cz75 bd. The gun shoots awesome. However I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the install, or if the following behavior is normal and I just never noticed it before.

1. If i press the decocker, but manually hold the hammer from falling, then let up the decocker, then manually let the hammer finish falling to the half-cock position, then pulling the trigger skips on something (doesn't catch) and instead of rising and then falling, the hammer just falls gently to the fully uncocked position. Why would I do this? I was trying to duplicate an issue that happened once or twice at the range (#2).

2. if just flick at the decocker, basically trying to press and release it as fast as I possibly can, I am sometimes able to get the gun into the same situation, where it's at half-cock, but the trigger doesn't catch.

3. if i press the decocker like a normal person, it works normally.

I don't have another unmodified cz to fondle, so I'm wondering if I could have messed up something (and if so, what), or if the behavior in #1 is normal.

sounds like the disconnector ( L shaped part connected to the hammer ) is not resetting onto the triggerbar positively. and the triggerbar is slipping off.

possibly a burr on the trigger bar or disconnector wing.

pull it and using a stone or fine diamond hone and take one swipe on the vertical face of the wing. it sounds like you are close and it doesn't need much at all.

after closer examination, it looks like the disconnector has a teensy bit of up and down wiggle, and if it's wiggled in the up position, it doesn't catch the trigger bar from half-cock. if it's in the down position, it catches fine. If i turn the gun upside down when it's at half cock and give it a little shake, it doesn't catch.

It works fine from fully cocked and from all the way down.

after even closer-er examination, it looks like it may just be a case of tolerance stacking and my gun is at the far end. Working with david from cgw for ideas on what to check, I pulled it all apart again (MUCH easier than the first time), and close examined what was happening. Looks like the disconnector is milled just a smidgen too much to be happy in my particular gun, at least from half cock, so it slips of the trigger bar early, like right away (if you get lucky and it's positioned 'just so'. It works 95% of the time just fine, but if you turn the gun upside down and give it a little shake, it works 0% of the time.

i put the stock disconnector back in just to verify, and that solves the problem. From what I read, it shouldn't really work with the recut hammer, but perhaps that's another indication that my gun is one end of the tolerance spectrum. i dry fired it extensively after reassembly in d/a, d/a from half cock and S/A, and it seems to work just great with the oem connector and the recut hammer.

looking forward to working with cgw to figure out exactly what the best solution is. Hopefully david will learn something from my gun, and I have learned a tremendous amount, and had fun, and I feel like I know my gun alot better now. Starting from fully assembled, I can have the hammer out in 10-15 mins. Maybe less if all goes well. the hardest part is seeing the little spring i need to lift up to get the decocker out.

Note to self, btw, my next cz will have a safety, for a variety of reasons.