Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR load out?

How many of each type of magazine do you load out for 3gun shoots? I am trying to standardize my load out for 3gun shoots this year. Here is my list.

two- GI 20's loaded with 69gr matchkings (long stages).

four- GI 30's with 55gr (these are the ones I keep in my belt for reloads).

two- magpul 30rd's with Nordic extensions.

Thats 256rds. Most of my local shoots are 70-100rds and we generally only have 1 long stage at each match. I like the GI-20's for shooting off a bench or prone.

For the mouse gun, I generally have one Nordic/Pmag, two Pmag 30s coupled, one more Pmag 30 and a couple of Brownells aluminum mags in my bag.

For my AR10, I bring two 25rd mags (plugged to 20, depending on match rules), and three or four 20 round mags. Any magazine that I bring to a match has been proven in the gun I will be using it in at the match.

I generally just bring double the round count of the match in ammunition.

Hurley

I don't load mags till I see the stages at a match. I take 3 30 round single mags, one cinched 30, one cinched 20, a Tripp 52, a Tripp 42 and a Beta mag. I load as required with 55 or 68s depending on the stages.

Doug

What method of coupling your magazines do you prefer?

I only have experience with the 30rd ThermaMold. They worked great however the feed lips on two of these magazines cracked at a recent cold weather 3gun shoot. I dont see them lasting too long beings how it gets pretty chilly here in MN.

What method of coupling your magazines do you prefer?

I only have experience with the 30rd ThermaMold. They worked great however the feed lips on two of these magazines cracked at a recent cold weather 3gun shoot. I dont see them lasting too long beings how it gets pretty chilly here in MN.

I use the Arredondo couplers, and I only use metal mags. either Brownell's aluminum mags or HK steel mags. No Pmags for me at matches after some double feeds.

Doug

Firebird makes a slick Pmag coupler, I don't have one but have seen their couplers at several matches. I have my mags coupled with two pieces of target sticks wrapped in velcro. I put velcro on the sides of the mags, stick the mags and sticks together and then wrap it all in black duct tape. I have been using that setup for three years now. It is almost as rigid as the Firebird, but not as pretty.

Hurley

I haven't found 20-round mags to be a huge advantage on prone/bench stages personally. I have two 30-rd PMags with Arredondo monopod bases; two coupled 30-rd PMags (Firebird coupler); a 20-rd PMag just in case; and I just added a 48-rd PMag (30-rd with +18 Nordic extension). I shoot 69gr Sierra Match, and while I have thought about using 55gr on short-range hoser stages, in practice I just haven't ended up bothering to mix and match ammo at the range. I'll generally show up with my 30-rd mags all loaded up. If I really have time, I'll load extra ammo onto stripper clips, because my StripLula is quickly becoming one of my best range buddies. :)

I have about the same setup as Doug... except I'm going more and more to PMags. Using cinched mags, I see rounds walking on the spare mag more often in the GI mags.

I always use 30 rd mags for prone, unless there's a really low port

But I see more rounds hitting dirt in-front of the shooter, the 30s help a little. If I need more height.. I'll use 44s

I've probably used a 20 rd mag, once in the last 2 years.. but I always bring them

In practice, check that all the mags you do use, can run as a bi-pod or not. I've seen quite a few surprises there as well

I usually don't load mags until I get to the stage.

In my bag, I have:

2 P-Mags w/Nordic extensions

2 P-Mags

2 GI Mags in a coupler

1 20 round P-Mag

I've run into a couple of low ports where the 20 round mag allowed the rifle to remain level, but the 30+ mags required you to rotate the rifle.

Edited by prreed10

I too do not usually load mags ahead of time. I bring about 200 rds each of 75gr and 55gr ammo and the following mags:

6- 30rd p-mags

1- 40rd p-mag I made

2- 20rd p-mags

Almost never use the 20's. Always check the spine area at the top back side of the p-mags.

1 30

2 30's in a coupler

1 20 {carry on the belt as an "oh sh!t" mag.}

I don't carry my 44 rdnd nordic mags to avoid turning my rifle into a destructive device here in Ohio :wacko:

As I don't carry a truck load of mags w/me, I have to top off after every stage {Mag LULA FTW}. I switched to the Lancer L5A translucent mags to aid in topping off and, I like being able to see whats going on inside my mags.

JPD

I typically work the registration table at my local match, so I preload pistol and rifle mags the night before (except for backups). I also carry one more loaded 30 rounder "just in case" of a re-shoot, or if I'm scoring or ROing and forget to top off mags. Here's what's currently in the bag:

2 20 round PMAGS (these aren't pre-loaded, as they're rarely used)

3 loaded 30 round PMAGS

1 unloaded 30 round PMAG (backup or a loaner if necessary)

2 loaded 30 round PMAGS in Brownells/Firebird coupler

1 loaded 48 round PMAG/Nordic

I also have about 120 additional rounds that I take with me. If you've got a cart, might as well fill it, right?

I bring two 48 round Nordic P-mags and two 30 round P-mags.

I used to carry a 20 but like others, I've used it once in two years.

I shoot long range bullets at everything.

Why pay $250 for a match and skimp on 150 rounds of ammo?

I don't like the idea of shooting different loads during the match. Consistency is important. I shoot 55 gr fmj-bt at everything, at every match.

Plus, I have limited time to practice and find zero with various loads.

I also do not couple mags. I just got my first 18 round Nordic extension for a p-mag this week. I borrowed one to shoot stage 6 at FNH and it came in handy to not have to switch mags to shoot 32 rds from one position, but usually I don't see changing 30 rounders from the belt as a disadvantage if it can be done during transition.

one surefire 60rd

3 30 rd pmags

one Firebird pmag coupler

one 20rd pmag

total and done. usually run the 60 with a spare 30 in a back pocket. 20rd stays in the bag so i always have one if i need to shoot off a bench. the Firebird pmag coupler slips on faster that you can pull a Dawson +1 basepad from a S_I mag, so you're always GTG, with a minimum of extra crap in your bag.

I shoot local matches at five different places and I'm not sure I've ever even done a reload with my rifle. One thirty-round mag gets me through pretty much any stage. I envy you guys that need to carry several mags. I've often thought maybe rifle mags should be limited to twenty rounds at matches just to get some reloads in there.

30's kept fully loaded at all times. 3 on my belt and one in pocket to load up with during make ready. I bring about 8 30's to matches and load them all up in the morning then reload ones that were used as required

2 empty GI 20's in my bag just in case.

The only time I have ever really needed GI 20 was a sloped ramp where a 30 was too high. I also use a 20 is for a starting mag if there is a mandatory standing reload like a Presidente type drill, the 20's fly outa' the magwell :-)

I never use 20's prone as they are too low for mono-podding. Low ports, I just cant the rifle on a 30 while mono-podding.