Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When a right-handed has to shoot with their left hand

J_maker

hello guys,

a fellow shooter told me recently that I need to practice shooting with my left hand while I am right handed.

Especially when shooting behind a barricade leaning to the left side. So just today that I took part in a level 1 IPSC event, I decided to try it, as when reaching the barricade, there was not much space to step further left, so I decided to swap my pistol to my left hand and shoot a few rounds while holding the barricade with my right hand.

That was not very difficult, but not easy either! I have been told as well that I need to strengthen my wrists, as this is a critical point of shooting with stability and accuracy.

Any tips from experienced shooters on how to shoot with my weak hand? Do I still aim using my dominant eye?

any help and opinions appreciated.

George

J_Maker,

It took me a hundred rounds shooting weak hand only before I felt like there was a chance I could learn to shoot well. I have since shot 2000 rounds left handed only because of shoulder surgery to my strong side right shoulder. It is like starting over shooting--you have to train your trigger finger and get used to lining up the sights with (for me) the right eye. But, you WILL learn to shoot fairly well fairly quickly if you stick with it. I had no choice so I have made good progress. You just have to dedicate some time and ammo to the task, then shoot 30-50 rounds weak hand only each range visit to keep your skill level high, after you have learned.

Joe

dry fire will help you at home by leaning out of a door frame. good shooting starts at your feet. to get around a barricade to right place your right foot way up forward at the boundary line and turn the knee out over the line. =practice that dry fire. to get way around the left side place the left foot forward and turn the knee out to support your body.

95% of the shots in events to left of a barricade can be made right handed tilt the gun slightly & thrusting your knee out over the boundary line. with your toes pointing into the shots.

you can learn allot in dry-fire using door openings

To get more comfortable shooting left hand think about changing your feet to match the way to opposite way your feet set when you shoot right

Edited by AlamoShooter

95% of the shots in events to left of a barricade can be made right handed

+1. In 6 years IPSC, I've Never shot left handed around a barricade.

But, learning to shoot weak hand only is an excellent way to work

on your trigger control (you can't hit Anything left handed if you

don't control your trigger:(

Good luck,

Jack

I have been shooting USPSA for over 25 years and have never found it necessary to shoot LH around a barracade! Might be an advantage but I can't see where taking the time to switch hands would be better.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I appreciate the detailed reply Joe! I will definitely do as you suggest and dedicate some extra time and ammo to my weak hand.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

George

George, a breakthrough for me today. After shooting the SIG 9's (casually) with my son and his brother-in-law today, we stopped at the silhouette range before heading back to the house. I pulled out my 1911 and knocked down 4 steel pigs at 50 yards with 8 shots, no rest, weak (left) hand only. That was good for me. Two weeks ago, I wouldn't even have stopped at the 50 yard silhouettes with my right arm in a sling. This was a good accomplishment for me, especially since I haven't been shooting this gun very often at all. You can learn to shoot left handed, believe me.

Joe