Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is my holster legal for uspsa ss?

carlosa

Hard to say without seeing it, the rulebook allows the holster to be cut 1/2" below the front of the ejection port. Any more than that and you're bumped to Open.

Appendix D5 - Item 20

May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, 1/2” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

If you're still unsure, post a picture if you can.

It's .56 :(

Just bearly over

Autoparts store... bondo.... buy...

If you do this, do a good job. I "fixed" a bladetech ice by epoxying a piece of kydex over the hole. It is not technically legal. I was warned about it and changed rather than risk getting booted to open (I shoot SS Nats every year, if it was just locals I might have just gambled). My repair was really obvious and ugly. Had I done a better job I might have got away with it.

It's silly, but the rule states:

May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

If you fix it, it is still manufactured lower than 1/2. I debated sticking with it and arguing that I manufactured the holster in my basement, but you can get a safariland for $30...

It's .56 :(

Just bearly over

Autoparts store... bondo.... buy...

If you do this, do a good job. I "fixed" a bladetech ice by epoxying a piece of kydex over the hole. It is not technically legal. I was warned about it and changed rather than risk getting booted to open (I shoot SS Nats every year, if it was just locals I might have just gambled). My repair was really obvious and ugly. Had I done a better job I might have got away with it.

It's silly, but the rule states:

May not be manufactured or cut lower than, and must cover the slide up to, ½” below the ejection port (belt slide “Yaqui” type holster exempt).

If you fix it, it is still manufactured lower than 1/2. I debated sticking with it and arguing that I manufactured the holster in my basement, but you can get a safariland for $30...

1. You need to do a good job regardless... the method I'm talking about should just build up a little bit in the area and be painted.

2. I'd fight that tooth and nail. After I take and modify a holster, I'm the manufacturer and I manufactured it the way I want. Also, the word "or" is in there. If it's not cut lower than 1/2 inch, it passes in my book. As a match official - I'm not nor do I see someone going to ask for proof that the specific original design had the slide cut there. I'm going to look at the coverage of the slide to the ejection port and go "good to go"

Hey Carlos, speak to the holster manufacturer. I know of cases where the manufacturer would swap or repair a holster if it didn't fit the requirements for a division.

This happened with the BT Black Ice holsters that first came out. They sold it as a ready to compete holster but there were a few of the techs making the holsters that took a few liberties while shaping the kydex near the ejection port. BT replaced those holsters for the owners with a new one that fit the division rules.

Nice job with the class win at 2011 WSSSC.

If I had it to do over I'd have mailed the holster back.

1. You need to do a good job regardless... the method I'm talking about should just build up a little bit in the area and be painted.

2. I'd fight that tooth and nail. After I take and modify a holster, I'm the manufacturer and I manufactured it the way I want. Also, the word "or" is in there. If it's not cut lower than 1/2 inch, it passes in my book. As a match official - I'm not nor do I see someone going to ask for proof that the specific original design had the slide cut there. I'm going to look at the coverage of the slide to the ejection port and go "good to go"

Pictures of my holster were emailed around to NROI (I could name them, but I don't think it matters) who deemed my holster illegal. Enough RO's were involved with my holster that were involved with RO'ing SS nats that there was no way I could've shot the match without being kicked to open.

"fighting tooth and nail" about a holster is not what I want to be doing at nationals, it's enough of a problem for me to just try and shoot.

The "or" is there because if it wasn't, you could buy a holster that was manufactured with less than a 1/2" inch and then cut it.

If I had bothered to read the rule instead of just skimming for the 1/2", I'd have known not to bother.

If you can make it look good enough it shouldn't be an issue, but I'd just send it back and get something legal.

Edited by bofe954

Hey Carlos, speak to the holster manufacturer. I know of cases where the manufacturer would swap or repair a holster if it didn't fit the requirements for a division.

This happened with the BT Black Ice holsters that first came out. They sold it as a ready to compete holster but there were a few of the techs making the holsters that took a few liberties while shaping the kydex near the ejection port. BT replaced those holsters for the owners with a new one that fit the division rules.

Nice job with the class win at 2011 WSSSC.

Thanks!

You shooting it this year?

Pictures of my holster were emailed around to NROI (I could name them, but I don't think it matters) who deemed my holster illegal. Enough RO's were involved with my holster that were involved with RO'ing SS nats that there was no way I could've shot the match without being kicked to open.

"fighting tooth and nail" about a holster is not what I want to be doing at nationals, it's enough of a problem for me to just try and shoot.

The "or" is there because if it wasn't, you could buy a holster that was manufactured with less than a 1/2" inch and then cut it.

If I had bothered to read the rule instead of just skimming for the 1/2", I'd have known not to bother.

If you can make it look good enough it shouldn't be an issue, but I'd just send it back and get something legal.

I understand you not wanting to make a stink at a match, but if everyone allows such rulings to pass without challenge, then it will never be fixed. I agree with your original sentiment that it's silly. I should be able to start with a holster than has the function I desire and modify it to meet division requirements. We can do this with a gun, but not a holster?! How much sense does that make...

Maybe it was something about using kydex and epoxy and took the easy way out and make a word argument about manufacture. In either case, an AD would need to explain to me the logic behind this and have it addressed.

Carlos - call the vendor up and ask them to take it back and buy one from the predescribed vendors that provide holsters to USPSA specifications, despite the fact that matches aren't supposed to require a specific holster.....

Not this year, I'm staying focused on Production. If I can land a slot for Nationals, I'll be there. Perhaps Area 1 as well, we'll see how the finances look before deciding. Good luck with the holster, it's sucks to go through so much hassle over 1/8".

Not this year, I'm staying focused on Production. If I can land a slot for Nationals, I'll be there. Perhaps Area 1 as well, we'll see how the finances look before deciding. Good luck with the holster, it's sucks to go through so much hassle over 1/8".

I think you'll find out A1 is already sold out and has a wait list ... Sorry.

I think you'll find out A1 is already sold out and has a wait list ... Sorry.

Doh, was thinking Area 2 but typed Area 1. My bad, sorry for the thread tangent.

• 2 weeks later...

No, you're not the manufacturer, you're the modifier...major difference. When you start with a sheet of kydex, heat it, molde it, and trim it, then you're the manufacturer. Ford is a manufacturer, Chip Foose is a customizer/modifier.