Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some advice on USPSA gear

joz00

Hi all,

Been shooting uspsa for 2 years now and figured it's finally time to spend some money on some gear. I have a few questions from those who know what works and what doesn't.

I was looking for a mag well for my Gen4 G22 but all of the mag wells have a disclaimer stating they don't fit the Gen4. I was particularly interested in the Dawson Precision Ice but alas they haven't yet made one for the Gen 4's. Does anyone know of anyone making them right now?

Also was looking at a CR speed belt and noticed they have the older style and a newer style for $10 more. Is the new one worth the extra money?

I'm also looking at the Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, but they have different heights and I can't get my calipers exactly on the factor front to measure it. It looks like its .170 but I'm not sure how much of a difference .01 inches is going to make (comes in .170 or .160 height). I was planning on keeping the stock rears for now to see how I like them before buying a rear sight. Any thoughts on this set up?

And finally I'd like to get a few magazine holders that are adjustable in cant, but they all seem to be around $30+. Should I just bite the bullet and go for something like the CR speed or blade tech holders?

Thanks for your time and help!

-Jung

Edited by joz00

Jung,

1. SJC Customs makes 4th generation magwells I think.

2. I have that 10 dollar more belt...not worth it, just get the normal one and you'll be fine.

3. Not sure about this one, someone purchased a pretty cheap fiber optic front from MidwayUSA a while back. It worked very well. That being said, I would highly recommend getting a competition two piece (front and rear) and be done with it.

4. Are you trying to get into Limited division? You could try submitting a "WTB" request on the classifieds. Maybe someone wants to get rid of their CR Speed/Bladetech rig. I use Safariland mag holders and those work great too.

Diana

I'm assuming you're getting into Limited as you're finding a magwell for your Gen4 G22. I agree with gaminggoddess with the SJC magwells, really nice, and with the CR Speed belt. I use the regular CR Speed belts (not the super hi-torque). After using a DAA belt, I like belts that are not super thick and stiff. Makes it easier to install your mags and holster. Definately change your rear sight along with your front sight. I use Warren/Sevigny competition with the 0.215 fiber optic front. I have the same sights on my G17, 34, 35. Dawsons are nice too but I stick with the same sights for all my Glocks.

Hi all,

Been shooting uspsa for 2 years now and figured it's finally time to spend some money on some gear. I have a few questions from those who know what works and what doesn't.

I was looking for a mag well for my Gen4 G22 but all of the mag wells have a disclaimer stating they don't fit the Gen4. I was particularly interested in the Dawson Precision Ice but alas they haven't yet made one for the Gen 4's. Does anyone know of anyone making them right now?

Also was looking at a CR speed belt and noticed they have the older style and a newer style for $10 more. Is the new one worth the extra money?

I'm also looking at the Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight, but they have different heights and I can't get my calipers exactly on the factor front to measure it. It looks like its .170 but I'm not sure how much of a difference .01 inches is going to make (comes in .170 or .160 height). I was planning on keeping the stock rears for now to see how I like them before buying a rear sight. Any thoughts on this set up?

And finally I'd like to get a few magazine holders that are adjustable in cant, but they all seem to be around $30+. Should I just bite the bullet and go for something like the CR speed or blade tech holders?

Thanks for your time and help!

-Jung

I know nothing about the Gen 4 issue as I've pretty much got my gear setup for Gen 3 and I shoot 2011 in Limited, but SJC makes good stuff and is what is on my G35.

CR Speed Belt - unless you care about blinginess (I think the more expensive one also has piping colors around it) Stick with the basic. As an alternative, the guys from Tac-grip make a super rigid system that some people around here are playing with. It costs more, but is much stiffer (if you can believe that) than the CR Speed system. http://www.tac-grip.com/

If you are looking at replacing the front sight, I'd highly recommend biting the bullet and replacing the rear with a warren/sevigny competition combo. They're matched as far as height and size and to me afford a much better sight picture. Might even be cheaper in the combo kit but I'm not sure - it's not infront of me right now. I wouldn't want to see you spend the money and then in a couple months spend more to get the same thing you could have right now. Also - think about this - if you buy the front site that sized for the factory sight - and you then determine you want to switch to the sevigny sight, and they're different (not sure if they are or not), then you could end up having to buy it again!!! :angry2:

I run CR Speed pouches and have little experiences in other equipment here - all I DO know is that CR Speed seems very affordable compared to the others I've heard.

Good Luck.

Edited by aztecdriver

Thanks for all of the advice/help! I have been shooting limited for the last two years and just scraped the funds together to get some gear that I've been wanting.

I think I will go for the older style of the CR belt, and buy a set of sights like suggested. All three of you pretty much said the same thing so I think there is a consensus that you buy once, cry once :). Thanks again, I'm looking forward to the spring when our matches start up again.

-Jung

Thanks for all of the advice/help! I have been shooting limited for the last two years and just scraped the funds together to get some gear that I've been wanting.

I think I will go for the older style of the CR belt, and buy a set of sights like suggested. All three of you pretty much said the same thing so I think there is a consensus that you buy once, cry once :). Thanks again, I'm looking forward to the spring when our matches start up again.

-Jung

Once you get your post count up the classifieds they have great deals on gear as well. I bought all my stuff from shootersconnection.com they have a CR Speed double pouch for 45.00 that fits well 2 mags and you can adjust the cant on them as well.

Just jump in and buy once and cry once. I know the feeling if needing to buy a piece here or there but it's so much easier to buy and get it over with.

Get the Sevigny Comp sight set they are very nice and crisp.

Add a trigger set up. I use the lone wolf ultimate trigger stop, lone wolf connector, wolf 6# return spring, glockworks ultimate trigger bar, jäger striker and factory striker spring (-) 3 coils

full length tungsten rod w/ red 14# spring

ZEV heavy magwell... Course mine is G3 don't like the G4s

arredondo mag extentions

and of course the WSM2 holster comp setup for Glock that comes with holster, both inner/outer belts, and 3 mag pouches.

Shoots and works great