Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro slide won't lock

norton1090

Just got a M&P Pro 9mm and really like the gun but the slide only locks back on an empty mag once in about 10-12 mags. I have tried three different mags (all I have) and they all do it.

Any one else have this problem?

If so, any thing easy or is it on its way back to S&W?

Now that you mention it, the slide did lock back nearly everytime shot from the bags and when my brother shot it.

Thanks for the advice.

New to S&W, just switched from the xd's. The Pro shoots, groups, and points well for me, so I am hoping this isn't a big deal.

Thanks again.

Grip.

Checked today. I guess the fact that it only locks back once in a while means I need to practice more because it seems that 1 out of 10-12 mags my grip changes.

What I really want to know is if there is a little heaver spring for the mag release or if I am going to have to change my grip...or go back to XD's. Which I really don't want to do.

Like the M&P grip and trigger soooo much more.

Thanks guys.

Edited by norton1090

Funny how the ammo questions keep going unanswered. Does the problem persist? Can you pull the slide back and lock it after it fails to do so on it's own? Shooting reloads? Bump the load a tenth or two and see if it goes away.

One more thing if you're still worried about your grip. I'm a very 1911 biased shooter but I really like my M&P for what it is and what Apex parts can make it. In between the slide release and the back of the gun I put a small piece of skate tape for my thumb to make contact with just as if I were riding a 1911 safety. I end up riding the skate tape with my thumb and not the slide release plus it gives a point of reference for my thumb when I draw the gun. Consistency is the key to accuracy.

One more thing if you're still worried about your grip. I'm a very 1911 biased shooter but I really like my M&P for what it is and what Apex parts can make it. In between the slide release and the back of the gun I put a small piece of skate tape for my thumb to make contact with just as if I were riding a 1911 safety. I end up riding the skate tape with my thumb and not the slide release plus it gives a point of reference for my thumb when I draw the gun. Consistency is the key to accuracy.

that is a very good idea, i am going to try that! Thanks T F

Funny how the ammo questions keep going unanswered. Does the problem persist? Can you pull the slide back and lock it after it fails to do so on it's own?

Shooting reloads? Bump the load a tenth or two and see if it goes away.

Hey Top...

Some folks STILL get the Willie's when addressed by a 1st Sgt... 'Best cure for that is to try & disappear, maybe that's the case... :roflol:

Eric

(USA-SSgt/ USCG-GMC ) :cheers:

(I did shoot w/ SW M&P Pro's for 6 months and never had a single prob w/ the 9 or .40.. I'd guess it to be an operator error

but who knows..)

Edited by gunfixer

Now that I'm shooting my 9Pro a bit more I've started to have this happen. In recent practice sessions I've worked on my grip, improving how firmly I hold the gun. I suspect I'm thumbing the release too. This only happens during rapid fire at a match and never happens when slow firing in practice or firing off a bag on the bench. Gotta figure out how to get my thumb off the release.

• 2 years later...

Old thread that I am reviving

I've have had the same issue with the slide not locking back. Has been happening much more frequently lately - almost every time now.

Could partially be grip but I haven't changed my grip in the past few months.

Any other possible issues? I only shoot factory and it happens with all brands.

Could it be a spring? Gun has probably 6000 rounds.

Anyone tried the fix JohnRodriguez described above?

Old thread that I am reviving

I've have had the same issue with the slide not locking back. Has been happening much more frequently lately - almost every time now.

Could partially be grip but I haven't changed my grip in the past few months.

Any other possible issues? I only shoot factory and it happens with all brands.

Could it be a spring? Gun has probably 6000 rounds.

Anyone tried the fix JohnRodriguez described above?

Besides the grip aspect, try changing out the slide stop assembly. They are considered wear items in M&P's. Some wear out faster than others.

I didn't think about changing out the slide stop assembly. Good idea. It sure does take a beating.

BUT, I have a Burwell trigger job and I think there is some material welded to the slide stop assembly that helps the trigger take-up.

I'll have to look agin and verify.