Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you think of the thumb safety?

cas

I plan on picking up an M&P 45 in the near future. No real need, just something to play with. Maybe shoot it in IDPA or local 3 gun for fun. I've shot a number of them in 9 & 40 of various lengths, but none of them had the safety.

When I first saw them with safeties I thought "Well I sure don't need or want one of those." But recently I started to wonder. I shoot thumbs forward on everything including DA revolvers, high thumb riding the safety on my 1911's, CZ & Tanfogilo.

I was starting to wondering if maybe the safety model would be a good idea, if for no other reason than a place to put my thumb.

Anyone have any ideas/input on this or the thumb safety models? I've never actually seen one in person.

You will hear plenty of opinions both for and against manual thumb safeties on M&P's. One thing you have to realize is the TS on an M&P is a pretty wimpy affair; it can easily be unintentionally knocked on or off. There are ways to firm it up but to me it will never as positive as a 1911 safety.

After that it comes down to personal preference. I know people like to rest a thumb on the safety and I just don't understand that practice. Does your thumb get tired? ;)

I bought my 45C with the TS and after owning it for a while I started to not like it. Good news is it can be removed. Remove the lever, install $6 worth of frame plugs and the gun is converted to a non-TS model.

No but I was thinking it might help keep it off the slide lock, which I have a tendency to hold down on a lot of guns.

I don't have enough trigger time on the M&P to know if it's an issue or not.