Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are SSP shooters afraid of making modifications?

GlockCanMan

If I want to shoot in ESP I'll use my ESP gun (9mm 1911). Otherwise my Glock 34 is staying "stock".

To each his own. I'm not worried about whether someone is shooting SSP or ESP...I compare my scores to everyone in the "11 rounds at the buzzer" divisions. I ain't skeered.

Who says we are scared? Maybe some of us don't need a bunch of modifications to win matches? :P

Seriously though I find I don't need many changes to a stock Glock to make me happy. New sights, grip tape and a bit of a polish internally, maybe swap out a couple of springs. Grip tape instead of stippling allows me to shoot either SSP or ESP.

In some cases the SSP shooter uses the same firearm for carry/protection that he or she uses for IDPA. There may be strong reluctance to modifying their carry or duty weapon.

Carry guns and duty weapons have no place in IDPA!

I think that the competition is usually a little tougher in ESP also. At any given match, half of the shooters in any class in ESP, have already been bumped up to the next highest classification in SSP (much of ESP EX is populated with SSP MAs). YMMV, but it seems to be a pretty common theme.

I think that the competition is usually a little tougher in ESP also. At any given match, half of the shooters in any class in ESP, have already been bumped up to the next highest classification in SSP (much of ESP EX is populated with SSP MAs). YMMV, but it seems to be a pretty common theme.

+1 I made SSP MA fairly quickly but spent a year or two in ESP EX before I made MA.

I think it goes like this:

Attain SSP MA. Celebrate! :cheers:

Shoot ESP EX and kick everyones ass until there are four other SSP MA's doing the same thing. :angry:

Shoote ESP EX at a major and get a bump. Celebrate! :cheers:

Shoot CDP SS...er...okay EX and kick everyones ass until there are four other SSP/ESP MA's doing the same thing. :angry: :angry:

Shoot CPD EX at a major and get a bump. Celebrate!

Shoot SSR...LOL!...Oh now that's funny! Just kidding. Who does that? Revolver??? :roflol:

Buy Limited gun and start shooting USPSA.

Huh, I got bumped to SSP/MA with my G17 plus Sevigny sights and turned arund at the next major match a month later and got bumped to ESP/MA using the same gun.... in my part of the woods there seems to be more competition in SSP but I guess it depends on where you shoot.

Matt

In some cases the SSP shooter uses the same firearm for carry/protection that he or she uses for IDPA. There may be strong reluctance to modifying their carry or duty weapon.

Carry guns and duty weapons have no place in IDPA!

Aw, crap. I guess I really *should* modify my Glock tongue.gif In all seriousness, I compete with what i carry. I want to make myself as good a shooter as I can be with what I have before I look to modifications that are supposed to make me into a "better" or more competitive shooter. I already have a lot of fundamentals and techniques to improve on.

When my skill level plateaus -- and it's a slow going process -- then I'll think about making a dedicated competition gun.