Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extend firing pin?

mshotwell

I didn’t use to till I had my 6in slide crap out on day two of l-10 nationals this year bought an extended firing pin and has no problems. My 5in slide still has the standard on but I have had no problems with it not firing when the hammer drops. The only thing I can think of is there was something out of spec on my 6in that needed the longer firing pin to work.

Jeremy Hardin

To my understanding, it's how the Gun is built.  Anything lighter than a 19# mainspring is sort of a shortcut to achieving a light trigger pull, then may need the use of softer primers and/or extended firing pin.

My STI limited and open trigger breaks at at about 1 3/4 lbs. With the use of 19# mainsprings and Ed Brown firing pins(non-extended). Its the time ,effort,and risk put on the sear and hammer. I use small rifle primers : wolf,magtech,win.  ALL go bang everytime......

I'm not sure, but I think Springfield guns use an odd size firing pin. Does anyone know who makes an extended pin to fit a 2-3 year old Trophy Match? I e-mailed Limcat to see if theirs would fit, no response...

The sub 19pound main springs don't affect the trigger a whole lot. They DO affect how the gun feels when it goes off and how the sights track though

Don't you mean recoil spring?

Nope I mean main spring. The affect on trigger is very mimimal ie not taking pounds off the trigger usually a couple oz. The main spring is compressed when the slide comes back and that affects how the gun feels.

I'm not sure, but I think Springfield guns use an odd size firing pin. Does anyone know who makes an extended pin to fit a 2-3 year old Trophy Match? I e-mailed Limcat to see if theirs would fit, no response...

Use a 9mm pin.

I use extended pins in all my guns. There is no reason not to. It's added insurance for that one time you have a high primer or what not. I run a 17 pound main not for the trigger pull but for the slide cycle feel. My smith can do magic with a 19 also.

One of the first reasons to use an extended firing pin was to prevent primer flow from filling in the firing pin hole on Open guns. It prevents any unwanted debris from interfering with the pin strike on the primer. They give a more positive strike on primers without the risk of a light strike. I've been using Lim Cat firing pins for years, it is the best extended firing pin I have found.

Rich

I'm all for the " insurance " . I have extended tip strikers in my Glocks, it's needed when using light striker springs. My 2011's ? I'll wait for one light strike,then I'll get one.

Mainspring: as far as "feel" ? That's new for me. I'll try a comparison this weekend. My friend has a limited M2i with a 17# mainspring ( he uses ONLY Fed SP primers ).

Something new to learn . That's the fun part .

you would need one with a light main spring 15 or so, a 17 pound spring or higher and well seated quality primers should be no issue.

I had to instal one in a practice gun, back when the only thing to use for primers was wolf................never needed it with federal or winchesters.

Just came back from the range today shooting with my buddy, had a round that did not go bang. I then checked the round there's a dimple. Then tried to fire again still didn't go bang. So I figured after 2 tries must be a dud primer. My buddy took the same round and shot it in his open pistol and it went off. He told me he's using an extended firing pin.

Came home and did search on about extended firing pin, found this topic. I now am convinced, getting one installed in my open gun.