Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-Gun Shotgun for a "Lightweight"

Amanda

So, I am looking for an entry shotgun suitable for 3-gun. I know that semi-auto tends to be more popular with the more established folks; however, I am a little concerned that my size and stature (I am a small female- 5'6",110 lbs. tops) will cause problems in cycling with the semi-autos. I was also trying to find something on a budget since I am new, and so I am kind of steering towards a 12 gauge pump, maybe an 870 or something.

I guess I am wondering if any smaller folks out there have had issues or trouble with semi-auto shotguns, and/or anyone who has experience with pump in 3-gun or recommendations. Thanks!

Katie Harris runs a Benelli (m2, I assume?) and she's not much bigger than you, if any. If there's a local match around you somewhere, show up with some ammo and see if folks will let you try their shotguns out, I'd betcha they will. :)

As long as it's gas operated, or a benelli, you should be good. Definitely shoot samples of both though. Gas operated shotguns will usually recoil less, and the gun functions basically independently of you. It would work well for you, since you can't "push back" as much as a heavier shooter.

+1 on a gas gun over the benelli if recoil is a concern. Also, you do not need super heavy loads in the gun. Stance and technique help alot with handeling the shotgun. I use to shoot skeet in college and there were a couple younger ladies that shot and were not very big at all yet could move a 9-10 pound shotgun better than alot of the men out there. On the shotgun lean into the gun and put the weight more on your leading food. Lock your arms tight and move the gun wit your body. If you have trouble with the gun weight I would work up to it with practicing mounting and moving the gun with the correct form till you adjust to it just dont sacrafice form ie lean back to handle the gun weight. Gun weight is a double edged sword if your not use to it. a lighter gun is easier to hold up at first till you get use to it but is gonna recoil harder than a heavier one. I would go a 12 ga gas gun and try some 1oz loads.