Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Vs Lone Wolf Glock 35 barrel, a comparison

coyote4x4

I'd just like to share these photos to provide some data points.

My load is:

180 gr Bear Creek Moly bullets

3.3 gr of Clays

OAL 1.130 - 1.140 (still experimenting)

I'm a beginner in all this and just shoot the weekly local steel match where the typical round count is about 120-150 rounds per match.

The first picture is a comparison of the lone wolf barrel and the stock glock barrel. At the time of the pictures, the lone wolf had about 300 rounds through it and the Glock had about 130 rounds through it. I really don't know if the "stuff" in the glock barrel is lead or moly build up.

comparison.jpg

The second picture shows how factory rounds sit in the chamber.

IMG_0906.jpg

The third picture shows the accuracy and precision of the barrels. The left target is the lone wolf and the right target is the stock glock. It was an informal shoot out in the desert so I'm guessing the distance was about 15-20 feet. I was shooting slow and steady for accuracy and off hand; nothing to rest on. Ignore the holes outside the orange targets, those weren't part of the test.

lonewolfebarrel.jpg

I can definitely tell the LW has tighter chamber tolerances than the glock because the bullet doesn't rattle around as much. You can also see this difference in the picture above. I also had the LW chamber lengthened for my rounds because the first time I took it out to the range, the bullet would run into the end of the chamber and kept the gun out of battery.

Great pics, very informative. Quick question, what's the round count you have on the stock barrel and the Lone Wolf barrel?

Thanks.

The LW has about 300 rounds but the stock has about 1500-2000 rounds through it. Funny, I've had the LW for about a year, but just recently got around to giving it to the gunsmith to have him work on it so I've only had it working for about a month.

Based on my own use of moly bullets in Glock barrels I can't say I am suprised. I would say the junk in the Glock barrel is the Moly coating. ... deleted a bunch of stuff the mods wouldn't have wanted me to say. Might help to do a search.

The LW has about 300 rounds but the stock has about 1500-2000 rounds through it. Funny, I've had the LW for about a year, but just recently got around to giving it to the gunsmith to have him work on it so I've only had it working for about a month.

did you have to have it fitted? i thought the were drop in.

did you have to have it fitted? i thought the were drop in.

No, not fitted, but just had the chamber lengthened for my reloads. What happened was the OAL with moly bullets was too long for the chamber and the bullet would run into the end of the chamber, preventing the slide from going all the way home. It would chamber factory copper jacketed bullets just fine, but not the moly bullets for some reason.

If you search around on various forums, you'll see that it's very common for people to send their barrel back to LW with a few dummy reloads and they would rechamber it for free. However, earlier in the year, I emailed them and they must have changed their policy because they said it would cost $20 so I just gave it to the local gunsmith.

I'd just like to share these photos to provide some data points.

My load is:

180 gr Bear Creek Moly bullets

3.3 gr of Clays

OAL 1.130 - 1.140 (still experimenting)

I'm a beginner in all this and just shoot the weekly local steel match where the typical round count is about 120-150 rounds per match.

The first picture is a comparison of the lone wolf barrel and the stock glock barrel. At the time of the pictures, the lone wolf had about 300 rounds through it and the Glock had about 130 rounds through it. I really don't know if the "stuff" in the glock barrel is lead or moly build up.

comparison.jpg

The second picture shows how factory rounds sit in the chamber.

IMG_0906.jpg

The third picture shows the accuracy and precision of the barrels. The left target is the lone wolf and the right target is the stock glock. It was an informal shoot out in the desert so I'm guessing the distance was about 15-20 feet. I was shooting slow and steady for accuracy and off hand; nothing to rest on. Ignore the holes outside the orange targets, those weren't part of the test.

lonewolfebarrel.jpg

I can definitely tell the LW has tighter chamber tolerances than the glock because the bullet doesn't rattle around as much. You can also see this difference in the picture above. I also had the LW chamber lengthened for my rounds because the first time I took it out to the range, the bullet would run into the end of the chamber and kept the gun out of battery.

Thanks for the information. I am currently waiting.. patiently I might add, for my Barsto to come in. My drop in KKM feels better than stock, but I have not put it on paper yet. I will have to give it a try.

I really see this as a bullet comparison. I'm pretty much sure that the factory barrel was designed for jacketed bullets. The factory barrel can be just as accurate as the target on the left using jacketed. I use aftermarket barrels because I shoot lead . Bigger matches, factory/jacketed.

I would put the coated bullets in the lead category .

Edited by BOOST

Great comparison and write up. I also run a LW in my 34 and have found that it has improved the accuracy (but that has also come along with time - it is by no means a fix-it-all accessory). For people considering an LW barrel, I learned the hard way that you need to have the barrel "throated" - polishing the chamber - due to the tighter tolerances of the barrel. Whilst not everyone does this, I recommend it for reliability purposes as my 34 choked up on ammo at a match due to the tight tolerances. However once it was reamed out, I have not experienced the problem since.

Just a question, 3.3gr of Clays under a 180gr moly bullet, seems too little to make major and too much for minor. How did you come to the 3.3gr load? I shoot a 155gr moly over 3.2 gr of Clays. Comes out to about 128.7PF from a stock barrel, I was thinking of getting a LWD barrel. I've got 10K+ thru the original barrel, mostly plated some moly. I think it's time for new barrel.

Definitely too little for major, but the local matches I shoot don't score major or minor so I haven't cared about that. 3.3gr was just something I picked from the low end of the reloading book. One of these days I will shoot a real match so I've been half heartedly trying to decide on a powder to make major.