Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm 5.25 9MM mag issues

Aglifter

I have 2 pistols, and 12 mags. 1 mag never locks back, occasinally stovepipes, and rattles, another mag never locks back, and 3 don't lock back on an intermittent basis.

The remaining 7 work quite well and are much harder to load.

Any suggestions?

I'll ask you what Springfield asked me about my XD9 4" a few years ago.

Does the issue happen when shooting left-handed/weak hand?

Does the issue happen with factory ammo or just reloads?

They emailed a FedEx label, 9mm sent in, weeks later sent back after they called me.

"We found nothing wrong."

I sold the firearm to a friend who knew all about the slide lock and mag issues. It happened to him with factory ammo and reloads. Eventually he sold it to a friend looking for a winter project.

Edited by YamaLink

I have 2 pistols, and 12 mags. 1 mag never locks back, occasinally stovepipes, and rattles, another mag never locks back, and 3 don't lock back on an intermittent basis.

The remaining 7 work quite well and are much harder to load.

Any suggestions?

Keep the seven functioning magazines and replace the ones that don't function properly.

Aside from the one which seems to stovepipe on occasion, it's just locking back. What worries me is that these are all, fairly, new mags. Some of them I haven't used at all, some of them might have had 200 rounds through them - I bought my XDms in November, and have fired about 700 rounds through the pair of them.

I called SA, and they insisted there was only one design of mag spring, and no differences, etc - which is odd. (The functional mags are, mostly, the ones I received as from the promo, the soft ones came w. the guns.)

Is anyone making an aftermarket spring for these yet? As far as I can tell, SA must have some different springs.

We have a bunch of police shooters here with 9mm xdm's and a lot of the guns have weak mag spring problems. Springfield was very helpful and sent us magazines for replacement. The new mags seem to have stronger springs, but to be sure we will have to give them a little time. They didn't have replacement springs and only Springer makes aftermarket springs. One of our guys got those, but to be frank, they fatigued faster than the stock ones.

From looking around, it does seem to be a fairly common problem - I don't see how I could have a problem, repeatedly, w. the same mags - they do feel noticeably softer than the reliable ones.

I'll try to contact SA again - maybe I can find someone a little more savvy than the last person I talked to. I'll get some springs from Springer to try as well.

FYI. I love my XDm Competition. All works great. I will tell you that the mags that came with my XD ARE different on the bottom then my mags I received in the Gear Up promotion. Each group of mags lock the base plate differently. One set of mags have a small 'V' bent into the last turn of the spring. The other set of springs don't have the 'V', but use a small ramp inside the baseplate. I found all this out when I took them apart and some of the baseplates didn't lock into place.

Edited by bobert1

From looking around, it does seem to be a fairly common problem - I don't see how I could have a problem, repeatedly, w. the same mags - they do feel noticeably softer than the reliable ones.

I'll try to contact SA again - maybe I can find someone a little more savvy than the last person I talked to. I'll get some springs from Springer to try as well.

Call Springfield Armory and tell them your having problems with some mags, and ask for an exchange. I found thier customer service to be excellent. If the customer service rep you talk to isn't helpful, ask for a supervisor. In other words, bug the crap out of them until they help you. Just make sure that you tell them exactly what you want to do...exhange the magazines.