Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dorothy the javelina

Tizzle

That was amazing! I've only seen a very few javelina & they were mostly moving out when they saw me. She looked like a dog waiting for a treat. They also are not usually comfortable being "trapped" like in a tent. I think she would have loaded up in your pickup & gone home with you. Didn't look sick or hurt, either.

Too bad they stink, it might have been fun to take her home & have for a pet, hahaha.

MLM

Has anyone figured out a good way to eat one? I've had 'em smoked and it was ok, has anyone here roasted one in a pit?

The first one I killed that didn't stink horribly got screwed up at the processor so I'm still wondering if it's possible to get one worth eating.

I just bought a spring tag over the counter, lol.

Finding a hog in your bed in nothing new to a drinking man......

Is that talking from experience?

I'm surprised you just saw one, they normally travel in packs. Smelly, half-blind creatures as others have said, and will do everything in their power to kill any dogs they come across.

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: That combination, holy cow!

Has anyone figured out a good way to eat one?

From a distance? :roflol:

I don't recall the details, but I did know people in Texas that would cook them. IIRC, the trick is clean them immediately, avoiding the musk gland. I'm sure you can find details on the InterWeb if you are interested.

I also seem to recall that they would eat anything that didn't eat them first, so their taste could vary significantly. They also have a very thick skull with a tiny brain. I saw a guy shoot one in the head at near point blank range with a shotgun when we where quail hunting. He thought he had killed it, but he had just stunned it for a minute. Fortunately, we were able to get the dogs under control before it staggered up and ran off. You would not want to see what happens when hunting dogs and javalina cross paths.