Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 Limited Class Gun

engnerdan

This project has been months in planning and dreaming but has finally come together. I built up a GLOCK for this same purpose but I just never liked the gun much.

This is what I have into it

XDM 5.25 Bi-tone in 40 S&W

Powder River Precision Ultimate trigger kit (I installed)

Canyon Creek - Stainless mag well ( Modified for the large back strap and to keep from shortening the gun frame)

Canyon Creek - 3/8 Tungsten Guide Rod

Canyon Creek - over sized mag release button

Canyon Creek - 140mm Mag Extensions

Grip tape

Bladetech DOH holster

Still to do

Some custom trigger work in addition to the kit above. More to come, it currently has a very short pre-travel and short crisp break and clean reset. But there is more pre-travel to go and some lightening of the pull. As is it is still the best trigger in a polymer gun I have ever had.

Front sight will be milled down to .100

So far I only have 110 rounds through it. I picked it up Wednesday night put 60 through it to test it. Took it home and tore it apart, put all the parts on it. Thursday (yesterday) I shot it at the first indoor match of 50 rounds. I now need to get a bunch more trigger time in over the next couple weeks. This is such a different animal then the GLOCK.

I was going to share a picture but I guess I am still too new to do that so I will add it when I can.

Edited by engnerdan

So this is why your getting rid of Bruce's Glock!

I might have a buyer for you Glock, talked to a buddy today. Plan on having him take a look at your MNGT add when I see him tonight. He wants to get in to the gun games and I think your Glocks a smoking deal. :cheers:

So this is why your getting rid of Bruce's Glock!

I might have a buyer for you Glock, talked to a buddy today. Plan on having him take a look at your MNGT add when I see him tonight. He wants to get in to the gun games and I think your Glocks a smoking deal. :cheers:

This is why I am selling that gun, I just was not into GLOCK's so I decided to get what I like, instead of what was cheap at the time. Not sure if you saw I added a package deal with almost everything to start shooting limited, add belt and ammo.

I like this gun so much that I just put a check in the mail for a second one in 9mm for an IDPA ESP setup.

-Dan

Edited by engnerdan

Glad you are liking the 5.25. You are gonna love the 9mm, it is at this time my favorite of the XD/XDm's. Lots on these forums about them and plenty of experienced shooters with thousands through them, so you will be getting lots of advice. Keep us posted on your experiences.

Rob

Glad you are liking the 5.25. You are gonna love the 9mm, it is at this time my favorite of the XD/XDm's. Lots on these forums about them and plenty of experienced shooters with thousands through them, so you will be getting lots of advice. Keep us posted on your experiences.

Rob

Rob,

Unfortunately I have not been able to get in more then 110 rounds down range as this morning. But I got several hours in with dry fire now, I will get a couple hours in at the range tonight with the 40. I have a XDM 3.8 9mm for daily carry with thousands of rounds through it shooting IDPA this last summer. There is something about these guns, they are just fun to shoot. I wanted a 5.25 from the day I heard about the 9mm coming out. Then watching some of the video reviews you have on YouTube along with Hickok45 sealed the deal. I had to have one of my own, it just took a while to make it happen. I will keep posting as I get more time with this gun and the 9mm.

-Dan

Edited by engnerdan

How many rounds do you get in your mags...reloadable? Do they need to be tuned?

Richard

I am not sure what a "tuned" mag is or how t do it at this point. But I have 2 that hold 21 and 2 that hold 20. These are running the Grahms followers too.

*** Range Report***

Went last night I got to the range. I brought 225 rounds with, I was allowed to shoot about 75 of them. This gun is simply a pleasure to shoot and is a hell of a tack driver too. My friend who was with me had never shot this gun or anything in 40, I handed her the XDM and she would not give it back. She was shooting the centers out of the targets with it. Now I can not wait until the next match, I am hoping for much better results.

-Dan

Thanks for posting the build specs. I've got a similar one in the making but had a couple questions.

Mine will be a 9mm used for "outlaw" 3Gun with the goals of hi capacity and low recoil. I'll be using the CC 140 extensions for increased capacity, CC stainless mag well and am planning on a tungsten guide rod of some type. Would there be any gain in using a longer guide rod to "fill out" to the end of the slide vs. the standard length and could this be done using one from the XD/XDm .45 acp model GR's? I would also like the ability to change recoil springs as well.

Way of base or is this a workable plan???

Thanks for posting the build specs. I've got a similar one in the making but had a couple questions.

Mine will be a 9mm used for "outlaw" 3Gun with the goals of hi capacity and low recoil. I'll be using the CC 140 extensions for increased capacity, CC stainless mag well and am planning on a tungsten guide rod of some type. Would there be any gain in using a longer guide rod to "fill out" to the end of the slide vs. the standard length and could this be done using one from the XD/XDm .45 acp model GR's? I would also like the ability to change recoil springs as well.

Longer is pointless. Get one from Springer Precision that will allow you to use 1911 springs, lots of weight choices there. That what I run in mine....

I would also like the ability to change recoil springs as well.

The XDM does not use a captured spring. Multiple choices in spring weights and guide rods are available, though it seems that stock or 16lb are the best overall choice. What advantage is it switching to a 1911 diameter guide rod?

I went with the CC guide rod to get the most weight. I am not to Hung up on using 1911 stings as the in battery and lock up length of the spring will never match up with a 1911 perfectly so the spring rates will be off. I just ordered a recoil tuning kit from Wolff. Then I know the spring weights are right and relative to what they should be.

Longer is pointless. Get one from Springer Precision that will allow you to use 1911 springs, lots of weight choices there. That what I run in mine....

To go out to the end of the slide adds 1 more ounce, pointless? A 5/16" rod would add 1/2 ounce plus.

Rich

I would also like the ability to change recoil springs as well.

The XDM does not use a captured spring. Multiple choices in spring weights and guide rods are available, though it seems that stock or 16lb are the best overall choice. What advantage is it switching to a 1911 diameter guide rod?

Since this guns purpose is not weight restricted I thought that the longer GR would not only add weight and fill out the end of the slide it would also allow me to change the recoil springs as well and Rich's reply would seem to confirm that.

Just a quick note, I machined up some "full length guide rods" that are an extra 0.5" longer to fit flush with the end of the slide. It is not possible to get them into the slide in stock configuration. I have a method in mind to do it I will be trying tonight but the rod does not clear the lug on the barrel.

-Dan

Just a quick note, I machined up some "full length guide rods" that are an extra 0.5" longer to fit flush with the end of the slide. It is not possible to get them into the slide in stock configuration. I have a method in mind to do it I will be trying tonight but the rod does not clear the lug on the barrel.

-Dan

Two piece would do it.

I love to tinker with my guns but can't see any benefit to having that .5 extra guide rod. More trouble than its worth.

Edited by mpeltier

-Dan

Dan

Is it possible to compress the GR & spring and insert into the slide before the barrel by retaining it similar to the way that is done on some officer's model 1911's vs. making a 2-piece one?

• 1 month later...