Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Problem w/ CMore STS

BoyGlock

Two days ago, I was in the middle of the BEnos transition drill when I started to hit low. I repeated the drill and the more my hits gone below A. After another run, I wasnt hitting paper anymore. I thought I was flinching terribly so I stopped and shot slow precise shots. Its when I noticed my muzzle was pointing on the ground already while the dot was on A.

I took a close look on my gun if anything had gone loose. Found none, I notice the glass lens of the STS was askew and facing downwards. I touched the glass and it moved, its dislodged from its frame.

Theres an upcoming match on the weekend so I was very disturbed by this. I immediately emailed CMore that day but havent got any reply yet. I shipped the unit to them yesterday and again emailed them today to notify me upon receipt of the unit and what their findings be. Im not in the US so I expect this to be a long wait for any service/repair or what will happen to my STS in their hands. In the meantime. a well-meaning friend sold me his new STS for an immediate replacement for Sunday's match.

Anybody had any similar experience?

Btw, its on carver mount on a Glock 17, shooting 9mm maj. It was previously slide mounted, but after a lot of info about the durability of a slide mounted optics, I decided to frame-mount it. My guesstimate roundcount would be less than 2T rounds w/ it. 1T+ on slide mount, 300+ on frame mount.

Update:

Cmore replied w/ instruction to ship the unit to them for evaluation. I already did, 1 day ahead of their email. W/ this, my apprehensions were assuaged by a great deal.

I'm sure they replied because you posted here . I'm still waiting for an email reply for about ummmmmmmmmmmm a month.

I'm sure they replied because you posted here . I'm still waiting for an email reply for about ummmmmmmmmmmm a month.

I've never known anybody from Cmore to hang out here. And, we most definitely don't want the forum being used for customer service issues.

- Admin.

I've been thinking how or what caused this problem.

It could be the slide-mount set up where the slide speeding to the rear and suddenly bumping in the frame to a stop, causing the inertia force to repeatedly impact on the glass lens pushing it rearwards out of its frame. It could have already weakened and dislodged the glass lens when I mounted it on the frame via a carver. So although it gave way on a frame mount, the initial damaged must have been done already and just a small amount of rounds fired w/ the frame mount, it gave way.

Does it make sense?

My guess is it was just a mfg defect.

They design and build these things with the full knowledge that they will be slide mounted on guns shooting major power factor loads.

I'm pretty confident they tested them on such guns for many thousands of rounds and tweaked the design to ensure a life longer than 3K.

BTW, I think the frame mount is the way to go.

My guess is it was just a mfg defect.

BTW, I think the frame mount is the way to go.

I hope they will see it that way,

Slide mount is simplier and less bulky but if my logic is correct, frame mount is the best option as long as the mounting doesnt block the ejection path for utmost reliability. W/ my STS on frame w/ a carver mount now, I dont have reliability issues that demand any tuning of the ejection and the dot is still close to the bore that I dont compensate when shooting close and far targets. I got the best of both worlds.:cheers:

• 1 month later...

update:

First the Good news: after receiving the unit in mid Jan cmore advised that they will replace my STS w/ a new one and that they will ship it in 6-8 weeks. That should be sometime in March. Thanks a heap!

Now the Bad news: while waiting for the replacement unit, my second unit of STS is down after only 2,000 rnds of 9maj. The dot wont turn on in Auto mode, but will do on in Manual mode only. This means its brightness is in max and fixed in whatever ambient light, w/c is not good in most shooting conditions. But whatever it is, its down. I acquired this one unused and brand new. I intend to send it back to cmore asap but that means purchasing another STS so I could continue shooting my pistol, but that will also be my third STS in just a few thousand rounds! I notified cmore a few days ago and havent got any reply yet.

am I in a streak of bad luck or....?