Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Recoil Spring Weight

spearogun

I have three questions for you guys.

I have a M&P Pro 5" with an Apex Comp kit in it. I have been using the gun for IDPA/USPSA and 3 gun. So far I have only been running factory ammo and the gun runs 100%. I really like the gun and I shoot it much better than I did with Glocks.

I used to reload for my Glock and I messed with a steel guide rod and different spring weights. The gun was never that reliable for me.

I'm going to start reloading again and I'm thinking about using different recoil springs to get the gun running smooth.

What weight spring does the M&P come with from the factory?

What spring weights are you guys using?

What advantages and disadvatages are you guys having with shooting lower power factor ammo and using lighter springs?

Thanks

Factory recoil spring weight for the gun (in 9mm or .40S&W) is 16 lbs.

I've never had any issues with mine with factory ammo. With some light 115gr handloads I had trouble cycling with the factory spring. I tried a 14 lb Wolf spring in mine which got those cycling good, but the pistol had trouble returning to battery. I ended up moving up to 124gr bullets and adjusting my handloads until I got them to cycle reliably in the gun.

FWIW, a lot of people seem to have no issues running down to a 13 lb spring in the gun. It may be gun specific, or possibly spring-brand specific (I tried Wolff in the gun, but not ISMI). I do have a 15 lb ISMI spring to try out, but it has to be used with a captured guide rod and I haven't gotten up the motivation to swap it with my stock one yet :).

Edited by MGMorden

Posters in other threads on this forum have suggested that leaving the stock spring in the gun and adjusting your load to run well is a better approach for this gun. That's what I'm doing and I haven't had any reload related problems with it.

Stock spring is 16# as mentioned. If you are shooting factory ammo or handloads at factory ammo bullet weight and velocities, leave the 16# spring in. If you start loading significantly lower velocity and pressure rounds and the slide doesn't fully cycle, use a 13# spring.

In other words, don't change the recoil spring for the sake of changing it. You only change it to balance the equation after you have changed something else.

I just dropped a (worn in) 15lb on a Jager rod (used to be in a Glock) into my 9 Pro today, and put 800 rounds through it without a hiccup at all.

That said, the factory rod and spring weren't giving me problems, but this configuration shoots MUCH flatter. The difference in tension is like night and day, and my factory spring was in the realm of 2k before the swap.

• 3 weeks later...

Speed Shooter Specialties is a good source for M&P springs but my guess is using a 11# spring and shooting 124GN bullet at 1,000+fps will cause problems returning to battery and/or you will be beating up the gun on recoil. The factory spring should work fine.

Speed Shooter Specialties is a good source for M&P springs but my guess is using a 11# spring and shooting 124GN bullet at 1,000+fps will cause problems returning to battery and/or you will be beating up the gun on recoil. The factory spring should work fine.

I will look around on Speed Shooters Specialties to see what recoil spring they carry for the M&P. What going to use the factory spring, it is too heavy for 130000/132000 PF loads.

I have three questions for you guys.

I have a M&P Pro 5" with an Apex Comp kit in it. I have been using the gun for IDPA/USPSA and 3 gun. So far I have only been running factory ammo and the gun runs 100%. I really like the gun and I shoot it much better than I did with Glocks.

I used to reload for my Glock and I messed with a steel guide rod and different spring weights. The gun was never that reliable for me.

I'm going to start reloading again and I'm thinking about using different recoil springs to get the gun running smooth.

What weight spring does the M&P come with from the factory?

What spring weights are you guys using?

What advantages and disadvatages are you guys having with shooting lower power factor ammo and using lighter springs?

Thanks

I use an 11lb spring with PD 124 JHP bullets loaded to 1010 fps. I like the recoil and have had no problems with FTEs or FTFs. I had to recude the striker spring weight a bit, however. You'll have to experiment.

• 7 years later...