Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beta test: Unofficial combined overall results

Skydiver

Some people have been asking for combined results for their local matches. I'm putting together a website that does exactly that:

http://combinedresults.info/

This is a beta release. Please help me shake out any bugs.

Current known issues are:

1. The server times out on large matches like the Nationals. I can see the 2010 NC Sectionals, but others can't seem to. I've got a plan for a fix.

2. Non Pistol matches are displaying the wrong Division names. Although multigun seems to work, specific Shotgun and Rifle matches do not.

And if there are any CSS masters out there who wants to improve the display of the results, PM me and we'll see how we can work together.

Edited by Skydiver

EzWinScore produces combined results in a separate file. If you produce the web or email files you won't get them, just go back into EzWIn and save the ALL final and ALL Squads and send them out with your results. We post them to out website. There are a few people that don't understand that there are 'flips' and why they occur, but the majority can get this. We've been doing it for years with no problem.

Some background on Sky Divers work:

- He has "Read" access to the USPSA database, so his data is identical to that on the USPSA site - just analyzed and presented differently. One of the terms of this access was that he agreed to display only first character of the last name, since last name display on uspsa.org is limited to members only (but member number is still included for unambiguous access)

- He is working with the data we already upload. This means that he is not only displaying the combined results, but actually reading all hit factors, figuring a combined high hit factor, and re-calculating results from scratch. The fact that he turned this around in a day has convinced me that is it worth my time to try to recruit him into working on official USPSA projects.

- The site is not supported by USPSA. We are letting a member analyze results and prepare his own reports, but they have no official standing, and nobody should bother USPSA HQ with questions, support issues, etc. on this individual member's site.

- Sometimes, I "just do stuff", and this (granting access) was one of those cases. Access to results data does not imply any decision or policy by USPSA. Any member can read results - I just made it a bit easier for Skydiver.

Taking a closer look at the Divisions for non-pistol only matches, I'm at a loss to come up with a consistent division to display.

1. For true multigun matches with multigun stages, it's easy because the correct division is available.

2. For matches with aggregate scoring, I should display the division registered for in aggregate.

3. For matches without pistol stages, but only rifle or shotgun stages, I should display the division that people shot in.

What happens if there are pistol stages as well as rifle or shotgun stages, should I follow #3 above, unless a shooter didn't shoot rifle or shotgun, in which case use their Pistol division?

I believe that I've come up with the best compromise for the non-pistol matches to try to display the various divisions that a shooter may have registered in. I've updated the website with the new code.

Edited by Skydiver

Just click on the club codes to get the list of matches for each club. Then click on the matches to see the match results. From match results, you can click on shooter's names to see their results, or the stages to see stage results.

• 1 month later...
I don't know how you did it, but this is a great tool!

I'm going to have to take the minority position here. I don't find it useful to compare shooters across divisions. I understand that some people like to be able to say that they shot single stack and beat so-and-so shooting open, but it really doesn't tell you all that much. Also, the flip-flops create some head-scratching and I have never seen a simple one line explanation other than some mathematical black box.

That said, I do send them out with match results knowing that the few people who want them, want them and everyone else probably ignores them.

I have just had my Aha! moment with this. You see we don't post our scores to USPSA very often as in nearly never, we post our scores on our own website. We post the divisions as well as the Unofficial Combined Scores so I kept wondering why all the hoopla. I finally realized that a lot of you post your scores to USPSA and perhaps do not post to your own websites.

Every now and then I wake up, smell the coffee and go back to sleep.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know how you did it, but this is a great tool!

I'm going to have to take the minority position here. I don't find it useful to compare shooters across divisions. I understand that some people like to be able to say that they shot single stack and beat so-and-so shooting open, but it really doesn't tell you all that much. Also, the flip-flops create some head-scratching and I have never seen a simple one line explanation other than some mathematical black box.

That said, I do send them out with match results knowing that the few people who want them, want them and everyone else probably ignores them.

It's fairly helpful. I shot L-10 Minor with my Production rig at a few matches this year and it's nice to compare myself to the Production guys. It's also if you are in an empty division to see how you did against others, ie revolver, SS, L-10

Do we really need the CombinedResults site anymore? With practiscore, results are uploaded to practiscore.com showing real combined results as calculated directly by the app, instead of results data mined and re-calculated from another source.

(We realize we have just resurrected an almost 4 year old topic that started before there WAS such a thing as PS, right?) :)