Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS6 and 38 Super

nhglyn

On the recommendation of a few people I am working up a load to try in my Brazos Pro Sx 38 super using HS6.

A general question regarding HS6. Is it a very dense powder? A 9.5 gr charge seems to only fill about 2/3 of the case and I am used to other powders filling up most of the case at that same weight? I zeroed my scale and yet this is what I get. Is it just a more dense/heavier powder and therefore takes up less space or do I need to see what is wrong with my scale.

Secondly, can anyone with a Brazos Pro Sx that uses the HS6 powder fill me in on what load you have. I use 125 jhp's.

Thanks for the help.

I would never put the stuff in a .38 Super, personally, and certainly not a short gun. It's blasty, dirty, and much higher pressure than you need to make major. Even at old major, one didn't need to run a powder that's relatively that fast to reliably make major...

It's used some in 9mm for Major where the case volume is quite a bit smaller than Super, but....

You got a Brazos call Bob and let him make a recommendation. I'm suprised XRE didn't hint on what he would run. I think you are looking for N105? HS6 goes bang makes major, is sooty dirty, loud, harsh, violent other wise its not bad at all. AutoComp is cleaner and shoots about the same as HS6, as does Silhouette, and TruBlue. IMHO. Beware TrueBlue beyond 8.3gr w/125, spikey.

Cheap barrito gas power powder IMR4756,AA#7, BlueDot, HS7, LoudShot aka long shot, or if you really want to fill the case AA#9, ask some old timers about that one, I think it takes about 13gr.

VV costs more but N350, 3N38, and N105 is good stuff. YMMV for 38Super.

If you're trying to stay in the Hodgdon, Winchester, or IMR powders for super take a look at IMR it may suit your needs for flat and soft in addition to clean.

That is what he is trying to do

What is the recommended load for the new gun

Edited by AWLAZS

If you're trying to stay in the Hodgdon, Winchester, or IMR powders for super take a look at IMR it may suit your needs for flat and soft in addition to clean.

That is what he is trying to do

What is the recommended load for the new gun

AWLAZS:

I dont shoot super anymore. But since I'm sponsored by Hodgdon I used Longshot for 9x23 supercomp and 38 super. I can dig up some loads if he is interested. Honestly, a gun should run dirty or clean and I ran loads so hot it really wasn't bad.

Super flat and soft. I also used HS7 and 6 for super too.

I dont have any IMR loads but it's in the Hodgdon family and I know it's clean so it may be suitable for him. 7625 or 4756

I just bought a lb of HS6, but i was told to use a 115gr bullet to see the full benefit of the gas. gunsmith told me 9.6gr as a starting point and move up from there, my gun has 7 blow holes and akai comp. So I am guessing its going to be more like 9.8-10gr of hs6 when its all said and done.

My previous load was 7.4gr of IMR 7625, with a 124gr bullet, in a factory trubor, with no blow holes.

• 5 months later...

I just bought a lb of HS6, but i was told to use a 115gr bullet to see the full benefit of the gas. gunsmith told me 9.6gr as a starting point and move up from there, my gun has 7 blow holes and akai comp. So I am guessing its going to be more like 9.8-10gr of hs6 when its all said and done.

My previous load was 7.4gr of IMR 7625, with a 124gr bullet, in a factory trubor, with no blow holes.

Sean - Curious how HS6 ended up working for you? What did you settle on for your load? I'm waiting on a Katana right now...

Thanks!

Chris

ctay I am shooting these top ends in 9 and super

545734_10150887757564375_1015326309_n.jpg

9mm major

radical slide lightening

3 holes

9.6 grains hs6

115 gr p delta FMJ

oal 1.165 wolf SRP

AVG 1476

Hi 1452

lo 1452

es 41

sd 13

169 PF

This load was 173-175 pf before the holes

38 super comp shueman hybricomp bbl 4 hole and huge ton of ports comp lol no idea the comp its old

9.6 grains hs6

115 gr p delta FMJ

oal 1.235 wolf SRP

avg 1450

hi 1469

lo 1432

es 37

sd 15

pf 166

both super load and 9 major is very good! soft and flat. I am not going to bump the 9 load back up to 175 it wont make it with the 115 and the holes

the super load I am moving up to 9.9 grains