Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou Bullets Load Data for 9mm

Darrell

Here is a pdf I created with all my test data for the Bayou Bullets in various 9mm pistols. Some polymer pistols tested good in the Ransom Rest, but the XDM didn't. I'll be doing some more test with new bench rest and merit optical device on my glasses so I can compare my old reading to my new ones. Enjoy and remember YMMV.

Darrell,

In your opinion, what is the best Shadow, Bayou bullet, Any powder you've tested combo for accuracy and the USPSA game? Smoke, manageable recoil, etc...

Just curious.

That is a TON of work on that sheet! Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I mimicked your 135 BB w/ Titegroup in a CZ5.

How is the smoke issue using TG with these bullets? If you can, say compared to TG and Lead?

Never shot TG and lead. For the bayous there is probably some smoke, but not enough to notice while shooting.

• 2 months later...
Great work up. I've been very happy with BBs in 9 and 45. I find the 147 gr. 9mm to be a pretty soft shooter and very accurate out of my Glock (using WSF).

+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Here is a pdf I created with all my test data for the Bayou Bullets in various 9mm pistols. Some polymer pistols tested good in the Ransom Rest, but the XDM didn't. I'll be doing some more test with new bench rest and merit optical device on my glasses so I can compare my old reading to my new ones. Enjoy and remember YMMV.

Darrell,In your opinion, what is the best Shadow, Bayou bullet, Any powder you've tested combo for accuracy and the USPSA game? Smoke, manageable recoil, etc...Just curious.That is a TON of work on that sheet! Thanks for sharing!

I prefer bayou 135's with aa2 in my Shadow, best accuracy was 124 JHP's but the power factor was over 145

• 2 months later...

After following this post and many others, here is my first reload of Bayou after a good friend got me into a Dillon this week. Thank you all for the help.

All rounds through a stock Glock 34.

Box: Blue 1 row 1-2
Date: 8/23/13
Gun type: Pistol
Caliber: 9mm
Bullet: 147 gr Bayou bullet
Powder: 2.8 gr Tightgroup
Primer: CCI Small Pistol
Wad: N/A
OAL: 1.135 in
Box Notes:

--Performance Data for:
Box Blue 1 row 1-2 - Session 8/25/13 12:55 AM

Load data at the time of the session:
9mm / Pistol
2.8 gr Tightgroup / 147 gr Bayou bullet / 1.135 in

Range / Event: Palmetto gun club
Weather: 87 º F
Wind: 0 - 3 mph
Sighting Optics: Open
Sight Settings:
Stance: Standing
Round Count: 20
Distance to Target: 20 yd
Velocity: 879 fps
Session Notes: Pf=128
Sd=8.0
Es=25

Image Notes:

Box: Blue 1 row 3-4
Powder: 3 gr Tightgroup
Box Notes:

--Performance Data for:
Box Blue 1 row 3-4 - Session 8/27/13 9:08 PM

9mm / Pistol
3 gr Tightgroup / 147 gr Bayou bullet / 1.135 in

Wind: 0 - 3 mph
Sight Settings:
Round Count: 10
Velocity: 903 fps
Session Notes: Pf=129.4
Sd=12.6
Es=44

Image Notes:

Box: Blue 1 row 5-6
Powder: 3.2 gr Tightgroup
Box Notes:

--Performance Data for:
Box Blue 1 row 5-6 - Session 8/27/13 9:11 PM

9mm / Pistol
3.2 gr Tightgroup / 147 gr Bayou bullet / 1.135 in

Wind:
Sight Settings:
Velocity: 913 fps
Session Notes: Pf=134.3
Sd=12.8
Es=53

Image Notes:

Box: Blue 1 row 7-8
Powder: 3.4 gr Tightgroup
Box Notes:

--Performance Data for:
Box Blue 1 row 7-8 - Session 8/27/13 9:13 PM

9mm / Pistol
3.4 gr Tightgroup / 147 gr Bayou bullet / 1.135 in

Wind:
Sight Settings:
Velocity: 961 fps
Session Notes: Pf=144
Sd=11.1
Es=41

Image Notes:

Emailed from AmmoTracker

Edited by Rokihsa

• 1 year later...

No smoke with TG and Bayou's

Get some smoke from Any hi-tek bullet at major near the end of the stage or if I'm doing repeated drills wit out stops in between. So barrel is hot at that point, I'll see some smoking.

Generally I've gone to using Bayou's for everyting

• 1 year later...

Bayou is also pretty smoke-free with TG, in both 9mm and .40 major/minor. They also come in several colors now. BBI are good bullets also. Mainly a personal preference, at this point.

hello I am New to this type of reload game excuse me for not knowing . could be so kind as to explain(major/minor)does this have to do with bullet weight or powder charge or both?.

If shooting USPSA matches the best description of power factor is given in the Rule Book: http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

Go to page 72 and look at paragraph 36 (in appendix C2).

Each division has a power factor description in appendix D, but basically >165 power factor = Major, 125 to 165 power factor = Minor, and < 125 means you are shooting the match for no score as you didn't make the minimum power factor to compete.

Edited by Bamboo

• 4 weeks later...

My experience with 147 gr Bayous loaded to about 129 pf using Titegroup is that the loads were among the more accurate that I have tested so far. I didn't notice any extra smoke outdoors, but when I shot it at the indoor range they came down and asked if I was trying for a civil war re-enactment! There is noticeably less smoke indoors with Titegroup with my 124 gr fmj load vs the bayous. Both are smokier than factory ammo, and may be a factor of TG loaded to low PF's.

Still very happy with the bullets, but currently working up loads of vv320 and vv340 using 124 gr fmj, 135 blue bullet, and 147 bayou to see how they compare. I have about 6k of the fmj' son hand, but plan to shoot heavier coated bullets for any competition I shoot.

Please credit any spelling mistakes to the crappy iPad autocorrect!

Found interesting results w/Blue Bullets 135TC ,loaded a bunch of them with 5.2gr HS-6 and 100 - 4.8gr HS-6 ,both to 1.140ish , Findings were absolute 4.8gr shot bug holes PF130 And 5.2gr shot loose really opened up,pissed me of as I foolishly made 700 5.2gr thinking it would be as good

Nite and day .4grains make. besides that 135 are great bullet loaded right. Same test I took 50 124 Montana Gold CMJ loaded with 6.2gr HS-6 shot bug hole but 15 shot group was horizontal spanning 2.25" with vertical deviation of less than 1/3". Means it just needs tweaked a little bit.hope that help someone

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk