Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you were the SO...

reichebrown

What is there to call? Am I missing something? :blink:

I would first remove my ridiculous red hat and then ask that remaining SO's to remove theirs as well. I would also use the proper range commands.

Edited by sirveyr

Yeah, I knew what the OP was asking. :lol: It **appears** that he may want to start another, "I would'a gave 'im a FTDR fer dumpin'!" thread.

No...no, really...no,seriously...you would not have even thought of issuing a FTDR. <_< That rule is retarded and is impossible to enforce.

Yeah, I knew what the OP was asking. :lol: It **appears** that he may want to start another, "I would'a gave 'im a FTDR fer dumpin'!" thread.

No...no, really...no,seriously...you would not have even thought of issuing a FTDR. <_< That rule is retarded and is impossible to enforce.

I just wish our USPSA club had a couple of those movers. Looks like a real blast.

Bill

Dumping...WTH is that ?? I usually do that between stages or after the match !!!

Sometimes I get the nervous dumps before I shoot...

Aww Man.... I know exactly what you mean !!! Ever have a scare pee come on when its your turn to shoot ??

What's everyone's opinion on double tapping a rearwards falling popper? I have heard rumblings at matches that one should not do that, as frags can be angled back uprange due to the backwards angle as the steel falls.

What's everyone's opinion on double tapping a rearwards falling popper? I have heard rumblings at matches that one should not do that, as frags can be angled back uprange due to the backwards angle as the steel falls.

I will hammer a popper with 2-3 rounds if it is really slow to fall and activate a moving target. Since IDPA forces everyone to shoot the same stage plan, it is important to gain any advantage possible. Typically, a popper/mover combo must be shot in the same sequence by all competitors, thus forcing somewhat similar stage times. Therefore, if I can drive the steel activator a split second faster, I am going to do it.

Also, most of us are not waiting for the PING! If my shot looked sketchy, I am going to shoot at it again as fast as possible. Sometimes that results in two hits.

Some ranges have a rule against double tapping steel because, due to their location, hits on a falling popper could leave the range. In that case it's commonsense to follow their rule. But, if that rule is not in place... as Chad noted... driving steel down can speed the activation of a target the popper is supposed to activate. It can save a second or so, and it's a good tactic if you have the ammo available.

As for Round Dumping.... The Rule Book says ya can't dump rounds... yet the Rule book also says that in a Vickers Stage a shooter may shoot as many rounds as they want. Those rules contradict each other. Another Rule comes into play in that regard that says "under all circumstances the competitor will be given the benefit of the doubt".

When you put all that together there is no way to consistently and farly call a shooter for "round dumping". One rule says ya can't, another says ya can, and another says the shooter gets the benefit of the doubt. How do you call round dumping?

More examples of why I haven't started shooting IDPA, yet. I know that the rules are under revision right now, so when they get it all straightened out, I will give IDPA a shot.

As for double taps on steel, I understand the purpose, and have done it myself. I'm just asking for opinions on whether or not you should for safety reasons. Not to change the subject, but we have all shot at some pretty unsafe steel out on stages, too...but what's your option to not shoot it and not be penalized? Garnering an FTE for choosing not to shoot at pock-marked and cratered steel targets is not quite reasonable, either.

Understood...but since I'm still relatively new to this, it's intimidating to be "that new guy" that screwed up the match or stage because he was scared of a piece of steel that has been shot at by everyone for dozens of matches for years. :unsure:

Understood...but since I'm still relatively new to this, it's intimidating to be "that new guy" that screwed up the match or stage because he was scared of a piece of steel that has been shot at by everyone for dozens of matches for years. :unsure:

I know what you mean about being the new guy. That being said, I was at a match just a few months ago as an observer and saw some SERIOUSLY cratered steel. I was helping to set up and thought it looked really banged up. I didn't say anything and sure enough 2 people (the shooter and her SO) caught some spray from the steel. The SO took some a couple inches from his junk and doubled over. The guy was a pro though. He held the timer up so someone else could take it. :D The lady doing the shooting also took some lead hard enough to go through her shorts and end up under her skin. The lead was stuck deep enough that even the "pimple poppin" strategy didn't get the lead out. I decided then that I'd rather not shoot the match than eat some lead. I'll bring it up. If it's not removed or replaced I'll find some place else to shoot. Safety first. :D

If I were the SO, I would send my own ass home for not doing my job! This SO is watching the hits down range when his ONLY focus should be the gun. My pet peeve.

Pat

+1 to that..

ZzlLaX

Edited by GmanCdp