Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Marking reloaded ammo

diversmith

I mark the head stamp of all my brass that I take to a match with some weird colored Sharpie. If it's marked, people are good about giving it back to you. Also at the end of the shoot, all brass is picked up still on course and easy to spot when they pour it out which ones are mind.

I mark the head stamp of all my brass that I take to a match with some weird colored Sharpie. If it's marked, people are good about giving it back to you. Also at the end of the shoot, all brass is picked up still on course and easy to spot when they pour it out which ones are mind.

Edited by BBQDawg

I use a sharpie on the headstamp but think about more than a straight line. I use an odd number of black marks, always get my brass back and no one else goes to the same trouble. Also easy to see quickly in a pile of brass at the end of the match.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always marked my brass with colored markers. Just line 'em up in their boxes and stripe the bases

No Mark/Stripe - Factory once fired

Black Stripe - Twice fired

Red Stripe - Three firings

Green Stripe - four firings

Blue Stripe - five firings

Orange Stripe - six firings.....if I ever get this far.

The stripes do make it easy to ID your rounds at the range.

• 3 weeks later...

I mark mine but for a totally different reason. After working up a bunch of loads in 0.3 gr increments for my 300 win mag I was at the range with the trusty Chrono and organizing my shooting bench. In the process I knocked over the ammo box and now had a mix of all my loads with no way to tell the difference. Totally wasted time and effort. Now I color code them by marking the primers with colored sharpies based on the loads. I can also pick up the brass and look for pressure signs and now exactly what load that was from even out of my AR's.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started reloading 9mm Major, to keep it sepaerte from the rest of my 9mm I put black ring around the middle of the case. I use a plastic tray from a box of .380 and just hold the marker to the tray and spin it. Im sure there are faster ways but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

When I shoot my AR's I use a brass catcher attached, all the others I use a Caldwell brass trap, you can lay it on the bench or you can attach it to a tripod, I picked it up at Cabelas for $40 ( employee discount), works great and keeps the brass hogs away!

I've been shooting open for the past 1.5 yrs and supercomp brass is pretty hard to come by.

I had been marking my brass with a manual marker which makes it 100x easier to spot after shooting a stage or in practice.

A local guy came up with this and I bought one to try.

http://www.mrshooter.com/mrshooterbrassmarker.html

I can pretty much mark all my brass for a match and practice and not have black/red fingers from the pens. It's super fast and makes marking a lot easier. I'm not affiliated with him and don't get anything from this but just wanted to share what works for me.

It's definitely payed itself off by the brass I've saved.

I've been shooting open for the past 1.5 yrs and supercomp brass is pretty hard to come by.

I had been marking my brass with a manual marker which makes it 100x easier to spot after shooting a stage or in practice.

A local guy came up with this and I bought one to try.

http://www.mrshooter.com/mrshooterbrassmarker.html

I can pretty much mark all my brass for a match and practice and not have black/red fingers from the pens. It's super fast and makes marking a lot easier. I'm not affiliated with him and don't get anything from this but just wanted to share what works for me.

It's definitely payed itself off by the brass I've saved.

That's the brass marker I use. It does make it easy to spot your brass in a hurry. Most brass are lying on their side and it's difficult to see the markings on the headstamp. You can spot them in a hurry with my red & blue lines on the sides. People even bring me the brass I missed because they know they're mine since I'm the only one in our area using it.