Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it legal to activate a mover with a magazine?

perjohn

Saw a video of the 2011 limited nats, and on stage 1 Manny Bragg used a magazine to activate a mover after the beep. He threw it onto the beartrap to activate the mover as he went by to engage another array, and when he came back to the port the swinger was already slowing down. I assume that's legal? I've looked at the rulebook, but didn't really come up with anything. Thought it was pretty cool, might be something to keep in the back of my mind.

Saw a video of the 2011 limited nats, and on stage 1 Manny Bragg used a magazine to activate a mover after the beep. He threw it onto the beartrap to activate the mover as he went by to engage another array, and when he came back to the port the swinger was already slowing down. I assume that's legal? I've looked at the rulebook, but didn't really come up with anything. Thought it was pretty cool, might be something to keep in the back of my mind.

unless it says it in the stage discription, you can do it. Blake Miguez did it also, about 4 or 5 years ago at area 4, i am sure there is a video somewhere here of it here floating around

Depends.

If the activating mechanism is a pressure pad, or opening a port, then I see using a magazine as legal if it used to activate the pressure pad or knocking the port open.

Now, if you threw the magazine at the stick that is holding up the swinger's weight, or at the "trigger" of a clamshell, or at a popper, I would stop you for REF.

Depends.

If the activating mechanism is a pressure pad, or opening a port, then I see using a magazine as legal if it used to activate the pressure pad or knocking the port open.

Now, if you threw the magazine at the stick that is holding up the swinger's weight, or at the "trigger" of a clamshell, or at a popper, I would stop you for REF.

:closedeyes:

Depends.

:closedeyes:

:blink: Whats your point?

Mark was just pointing out my "far out there" scenario. :lol:

I don't have enough magazines on my belt to be throwing them around a COF - and bending over to pick them up sucks. I probably could not even hit the pressure pad with one - aka, basketball - Area 6 - 2011... <_<

ItIt was hard throwing a $130 mag.

Let me add a little twist to this thread. Does it have to be a magazine? Not trying to be a lawyer here but let's think outside the box for a second.

How about a POS beater magazine that one may keep in his range bag for such occasions.

Yeah I know, I just got called the "G" word... gamer.:devil:

Pat

Let me add a little twist to this thread. Does it have to be a magazine? Not trying to be a lawyer here but let's think outside the box for a second.

How about a POS beater magazine that one may keep in his range bag for such occasions.

Pat

One better, POS mag, filled with Lead. not the bullet kind.

Pat

One better, POS mag, filled with Lead. not the bullet kind.

Yeah, then the range management will expect you to pay for the activator you just cratered.:roflol:

Pat

unless it says it in the stage discription, you can do it. Blake Miguez did it also, about 4 or 5 years ago at area 4, i am sure there is a video somewhere here of it here floating around

Blake did it at A3 this year. Couple guys on the squad used a mag. Don't remember who but one guy missed the pad, a glancing blow that didn't trip it... Stop... Throw another mag! Second one got it. Gotta stick with the plan.

In regards to this subject, why does it have to be a mag? Can't you have a water bottle or a rock tucked on your belt for this use? Might you even be holding the water bottle or rock in your hand? Or might it be "mistaken" for an aiming device?

In regards to this subject, why does it have to be a mag? Can't you have a water bottle or a rock tucked on your belt for this use? Might you even be holding the water bottle or rock in your hand? Or might it be "mistaken" for an aiming device?

I don't think I'll be starting you with anything other than a stage prop in your hands.....

I had a stage once where a guy used the stage prop to knock down a target activator. Of course it was a big wood sword and the prop was a dummy 10 feet away. Right as he threw it he screamed "FREEDOM!!!" Nobody dinged him for it since we were all crying from laughter.

Having it in your hand I have to admit would be stretching the rules but how about having a bottle of water or tool on your belt?

Not trying to argue the point but I did search the rules under competitor equipment and did not see any rule that stated what I could or could not have on my person, other than no BUG.

I don't think I'll be starting you with anything other than a stage prop in your hands.....

What rule would you cite?

This is the closest one, 8.2.3. I don't think a water bottle is a "handgun, loading device, or ammunition."

In fact, if it was, you couldn't allow a competitor to hold a stage prop without violating this rule.

A course of fire must never require or allow a competitor to touch or

hold a handgun, loading device or ammunition after the “Standby”

command and before the “Start Signal” (except for unavoidable touching

with the lower arms).

This is the closest one, 8.2.3. I don't think a water bottle is a "handgun, loading device, or ammunition."

In fact, if it was, you couldn't allow a competitor to hold a stage prop without violating this rule.

with the lower arms).

Tim,

give me a break. Do we really need to start writing "hands empty" as part of the stage description?

I'd cite 8.2.2, and call it a day......

Now if you want to pull something out of a pocket, or off your belt, o.k.....

Having it in your hand I have to admit would be stretching the rules but how about having a bottle of water or tool on your belt?

Not trying to argue the point but I did search the rules under competitor equipment and did not see any rule that stated what I could or could not have on my person, other than no BUG.

Off your belt, or out of your pocket would be fine in my estimation....

with the lower arms).

Tim,

give me a break. Do we really need to start writing "hands empty" as part of the stage description?

I'd cite 8.2.2, and call it a day......

Now if you want to pull something out of a pocket, or off your belt, o.k.....

Yes, if you want to penalize a competitor, you need a basis in the rules.

If that means it needs to be in the WSB, so be it.

They're not suggestions, and they ain't hard....