Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now I need a LImited gun!

Ssanders224

Ok, so I'm still new at competition pistol shooting, but I don't think I can fight the urge much longer. I want a Limited gun!! So, I'm hoping to get some opinions from you guys that have experience with the division.

What I want:

An EDGE. Have Dawson Precision tune it up, do the trigger job, and install a FO sight when I order it. Then, Koenig hammer, some radical slide lightening cuts/ tri-topped, an SVI sight tracker barrel (maybe), Tungsten rod, Flat trigger, Stippled grip, Dawson Big ICE magwell.

What I REALLY want:

5" Infinity build... Pretty much exactly like this one, only with full dust cover.. http://www.sviguns.com/largepics/194.jpg

But yea, thats not gonna happen right now.

What I will probably do:

Get an EDGE from Dawson's with FO sight, trigger job, and ICE magwell, and just shoot the crap out of it for a while. Modify it later, or as I have the time/ money.

Mags:

IDK? prob just 4 or 5 STI mags with Dawson basepads?? But which spring/follower combo is the best?

Anyways, Would like to hear yalls thoughts. Thanks!

sounds like you want a .40. starting out with a tuned Edge from Dawson or Brazos is a great way to dive in to Limited. a tuned Edge will definitely not hold you back. shoot the crap out of it, then as your skill improves you can sell it or modify it. as I got more time behind the Edge I had I got a feel for what I wanted. eventually I moved to a lighter custom 6". as for mags STI tubes with Grams springs/followers and a Dawson SNL basepad should get you 19 rounds. tuned mags will get you more capacity but cost more. good luck

Ok, so I'm still new at competition pistol shooting, but I don't think I can fight the urge much longer. I want a Limited gun!! So, I'm hoping to get some opinions from you guys that have experience with the division.

What I want:

An EDGE. Have Dawson Precision tune it up, do the trigger job, and install a FO sight when I order it. Then, Koenig hammer, some radical slide lightening cuts/ tri-topped, an SVI sight tracker barrel (maybe), Tungsten rod, Flat trigger, Stippled grip, Dawson Big ICE magwell.

What I REALLY want:

5" Infinity build... Pretty much exactly like this one, only with full dust cover.. http://www.sviguns.com/largepics/194.jpg

But yea, thats not gonna happen right now.

What I will probably do:

Get an EDGE from Dawson's with FO sight, trigger job, and ICE magwell, and just shoot the crap out of it for a while. Modify it later, or as I have the time/ money.

Mags:

IDK? prob just 4 or 5 STI mags with Dawson basepads?? But which spring/follower combo is the best?

Anyways, Would like to hear yalls thoughts. Thanks!

You already know what you want, so get it. By the time you buy the Edge and modify it the way you want to, you're really not that far from a full custom Infinity.

Edited by SV-COP

I would say go with Bobby at Freedom Gunworks. He can put a SV grip on it if you want one. When you buy a Edge and do all that its going to be the same price as a custom. Or you can buy a used edge with the finish worn off for a good price.

Slow down and take a deep breath. Think about what you seriously want and can really afford. Good reliable 40 limited guns are not cheap and neither are the mags. What you don't want to do is just spend and then have headaches. Good running reliable Limited 40's are not cheap. What you want is a gun that shoots accurately with no or an infrequent hitch. What you don't want are problems & headaches and be sorry you rushed into a purchase without due consideration. A limited 40 is an investment so make a good and valued judgement.

Edited by 40S&W

Slow down and take a deep breath. Think about what you seriously want and can really afford. Good reliable 40 limited guns are not cheap and neither are the mags. What you don't want to do is just spend and then have headaches. Good running reliable Limited 40's are not cheap. What you want is a gun that shoots accurately with no or an infrequent hitch. What you don't want are problems & headaches and be sorry you rushed into a purchase without due consideration. A limited 40 is an investment so make a good and valued judgement.

Although a little confusing to me, he is exactly right.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

After spending the most of last night researching and reading the advice given here, I've come a lot closer to deciding which direction I'm going to go.

Yes, I would love an Infinity build, but over 3K is more than I'm willing to spend on my first Limited gun. Plus, I plan on shooting the division before 2013 ha.

I realize that the chrome wheels do not make the car go faster, but I do think subconsciously we feel more confident with a gun that is personalized, cosmetically pleasing to us, and built to our own specs. I believe that confidence CAN have an impact on your shooting.

That being said, I'm looking very hard at having a custom gun built by either Freedom Gunworks, or another custom builder I have access to. After researching, the price point will not be a whole ton higher than a Dawson tuned EDGE when said and done. And lead times are considerably less than an Infinity build.

SO, I think that is probably the direction I will go for now, and maybe one day I can retire it to backup position and order that Infinity. :cheers:

How many matches have you shot?

USPSA? One, LOL.

But honestly, that does not really matter to me. I'm hooked. Even if I was never going to shoot another USPSA match, I would still want a nice Limited gun.

I'm moving over to pistol shooting from several years of competitive shotgunning. I learned from that ( and other sports/hobbies ) that I end up spending more money in the long run by purchasing entry level gear, and then trying to upgrade after a short period of time. I realize that over time, and as you mature in the sport, your tastes and preferences change, but I will deal with that if and when it happens.

I like the Brazos limited guns, and that is another option I'm considering.

Thanks again for the advice guys!

This is a great Forum.

Hello: Go to your next match and ask if you could try some of the other shooters limited pistols for a couple of rounds. Then you can see what is out there. I have done that a bunch of times :cheers: Most guys will let you do that as long as you use there ammo. You may decide you like a 6" pistol better :devil: Thanks, Eric

This sport is cheap compared to the shotgun sports.

You are right!!! Its pretty easy to tie up 5-6 grand in a shotgun with a full tube set..... and WAY more if you want a K gun.

Anyways, as an update, I'm starting to look real hard at a Cameron Custom. I shot a fellow shooters 5" built by Camerons custom guns some this past weekend, and wow its nice.

Plus his guns are dead sexy, very clean and clasic.

Still looking around, but Camerons Customs is definitely in top contention.

How many matches have you shot?

USPSA? One, LOL.

But honestly, that does not really matter to me. I'm hooked.

Like others have suggested, get some time in behind the trigger of a few guns.

And, pay attention at matches. Everybody thinks (then says) that their guns run great...but they often don't. Find out what works and what doesn't. And, find out why...it could be ammo, mags, etc.

Having worked chrono at a few major matches, I'd see whole squads come through wearing the shirts featuring their local gunsmithing hero. They were fans, but their guns were...iffy.