Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

$2000 for a single stack gun (uspsa)

Punished

This will be a little bit different then what I can search for.

I currently shoot a Trojan in 9mm for single stack minor. I am going to sell this gun along with my dawson mags and my Dan Wesson CBOB in 45. Regardless of what I fetch on these being sold, I will have $2,000 to play with.

This will be in 40S&W. (I currently do not reload) I am leaning on 40S&W as my other guns are same caliber. This would actually have me running 40S&W only for handguns. I will buy a future limited gun as well, so it just makes sense for that caliber.

Option 1: Buy higher end in 40s&w / gunsmith build. If Cheely wasn't $2700 I'd know my answer! :goof:

Option 2: Buy a Trojan again, have Dawson or Tripp tune it to run properly, use remaining money on a reloading starter kit. I would pull my dawson magwell and transfer it to new trojan, have trigger job done and call it a day.

Option 3: Buy other 40S&W, remaining money on reloading starter kit. (STI Spartan is not an option)

I like the idea of a higher end gun, reasoning is I am consolidating my guns to just what I use. 1 AR, 1 FN SLP, 1 SS, and 1 Limited 2011/3gun use.

Thanks for the input!

Gosh, Id have a hard time selling my 9mm Trojan. LOVE the gun for limited steel.

My opinion? Get another Trojan in .40 unless you have any qualms with your 9mm. You already know the gun, they run great, and for a competition single stack I dont think spending more money gets you and more performance. Get Dawson to tune it up, do the trigger job, slap your well on it and shoot. Spend the rest on ammo/reloading equip.

in the immortal words of my dear Uncle,..

"Don't buy the horse if you can't afford the oats.."

remember you will have to feed this animal,.. so the option would be 2. or 3. if you don't already reload,.. a set of dies and conversion plates aren't that much which brings a possibility of a "slightly delayed" 1. back into the picture..

regardless of who builds the gun,.. you are basically buying a frame and slide all the guts will be replaced a few times before those wear out so go for a reliable accurate pistol and down the road have ( insert gunsmith name here ) rebuild it..

my 5" has its 3rd. set of internals and second top end

my 10mm has its 4th. set of internals

my .38 Super has its second set of internals

my Dillon RL450 has outlived them all :roflol:.

if that CBOB was in 10mm and I was in shape to purchase,.. I could help but my addiction is in financial remission

Don't get me wrong here, I am not looking to save money. Just finding multiple ways to spend it!

At some point I will begin reloading, Option 2 & 3 just make it happen in short time, Option 1 pushes it back a couple extra months.

As for my Trojan in 9mm. I love the gun, but if I replace it with another 1911 it would never see range time again. So why bother to have it, when someone else can love it. I put 1200 rounds through it, every one was flawless. Just I found I loved the SS division more than I thought and the way I have shot both of my 2 qualifiers (better than expected) I want to bump to Major.

How soon do you want to be shooting your custom 1911? A custom build is going to be a few month or longer

Tuned Trojan, mags

and get a SBD (find used for $250-$275) and start reloading

The down the road get a new slide, barrel and used the frame from your Trojan to have a custom built on

(STI Contingency)

How soon do you want to be shooting your custom 1911? A custom build is going to be a few month or longer

Tuned Trojan, mags

and get a SBD (find used for $250-$275) and start reloading

The down the road get a new slide, barrel and used the frame from your Trojan to have a custom built on

(STI Contingency)

I am not able to shoot Feb-April. So the wait period for a custom build does not bother me. If I didn't have this forced gap then a custom build would never be an option.

I am leaning towards Option 2 right now.

Keep your Trojan 9mm. Get a top-end in 40 S&W built for it and fitted to your existing 9mm Trojan frame. Cost about $1,300.00. Spend the rest on reloading equipment and components. Now you have 2 guns to shoot just by changing top-ends & mags. Best of both worlds. And you can start reloading immediately.

Edited by 40S&W

Keep your Trojan 9mm. Get a top-end in 40 S&W built for it and fitted to your existing 9mm Trojan frame. Cost about $1,300.00. Spend the rest on reloading equipment and components. Now you have 2 guns to shoot just by changing top-ends & mags. Best of both worlds. And you can start reloading immediately.

That is an idea that did not cross my mind.

I voted STI Trojan .40sw because that is exactly what I just did. I bought mine from somewhere else but it is sweet out of the box and I put 200 rounds of my current reloads through it without a single hiccup. Mine came with the dp fiber optic front sight and a s/a magwell and one mag. I don't think you can go wrong with the Trojan and definitely save up for a reloader either way you go.

I voted STI Trojan .40sw because that is exactly what I just did. I bought mine from somewhere else but it is sweet out of the box and I put 200 rounds of my current reloads through it without a single hiccup. Mine came with the dp fiber optic front sight and a s/a magwell and one mag. I don't think you can go wrong with the Trojan and definitely save up for a reloader either way you go.

I agree about the Trojan, my 9mm has been flawless and quite attention getting. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again as my 40s&w. Just need to figure out if I want to go the custom route this time.

If I won the lottery.. I'd have SVI build me a Single Stack

Personally: I would build a 45, not a 40.. 45s just seem to run better, better mags, etc

I was originally going to go that route, and the thread of 40vs45 for single stack and loading 1 caliber brought me to the 40s&w

D. Hayden:

I have to disagree. 40 S&W can run as well or better than a 45 ACP. Just depends who does the gunsmithing and you start out with a good gun. As far as mags my Custom 40 S&W works with Tripp 9 rounders, Shooting Star 10 rounders, and Mec-Gar 8 rounders. I only had 3 failures to chamber out of 13,231 rounds fired and all three were due to me not checking my reloads, they did not drop fit the gauge (my error & not the gun). But that's my gun & can't speak for any other guns.

I haven't found the price difference between the lowest end 1911 with the right mods and a high end custom 1911 to be justified.

I shoot a Spartan that has had some work done to it....a lot of it cosmetic only.

Dawson front sight

Techwell mag well and grips

Trigger job

Front strap checkering

Controls replaced with stainless

Rear sight filed to a custom shape that I like

Nitro bond finish

It is a 45 so it runs. It is as tight as you could ask for and 100% reliable. It likes Wilson mags that don't cost a fortune. It can out shoot me by a long shot. Yes, customs are slicker and they are probably a little better looking, but as far as shootability, I think you would be hard pressed to beat it.

I have a gun for every division and I always come back to open, but I do really really like shooting ss with this gun.

All that being said, I thing if I were in the market for a new gun, I would have to give a long hard look at Akai custom. I have spoken with Shay a few times and have been really impressed with him and his work.

If I won the lottery.. I'd have SVI build me a Single Stack

Personally: I would build a 45, not a 40.. 45s just seem to run better, better mags, etc

I agree on the lottery part. I have an SV limited gun that I bought used. That just made me want to spend the 3-4k on a single stack build from them.

<<45s just seem to run better>>

A .40 runing with 10mm mags and loaded to the same OAL as a .45 runs just as good if not better than the .45. I can run 180's or 165's in the .40 which are about 20% to 25% less cost than the 230g 45's I used to run. A little more snap, a little less push. 40 brass runs a little less as well. I try and shoot at least 1k rounds a month on average and 25% less cost is nice.

I have a Trojan in 45 ACP. Tripp built my 40 S&W. Kodiak Precision built my SVI SS.

I already have a 1050.

Reloading equipment is more important (IMO) than anything else right at the moment for you. Invest in a Dillon 650. This is a workhorse machine with easy caliber changes available.

I pretty much will not buy another STI SS gun. Don't get me wrong, They are nice guns and very popular with the BE members, almost to a cult following. I would buy a Nowlin (if he still makes 'em), SA, Wilson, even a Les Baer (although I do not think he makes a 40 slide ala carte) anything but an STI SS. You will end up replacing/upgrading most of the parts eventually. IMO it is better to start with the best parts available and save spending twice for the same part.

Buy a Caspian slide, Nowlin/Kart barrel, McLearn extended firing pin, EGW firing pin stop, Aftec, and some decent sights. This is a great way to go. Have a good gunsmith fit it to your frame--try Matt McLearn.

Spend the remaining balance on VV320, Zero bullets from Angus, and primers.

Later, when you can afford it buy a full house custom gun. Make it an heirloom and shoot the heck out of it.

It is pure BS about 40S&W not being as reliable as a 45 ACP. Tripp mags are awesome. Look to TGO's post in the XD about the mags he uses. Wilson mags work great. My Tripp guns digests factory or long OAL rounds without any problems. And it is not because Virgil is a member of the pistolsmith guild but because he built it right.

Edited by pjb45