Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAO?

Bosshoss

After messing with and doing basic trigger jobs for several years I can't see any mechanical reason to remove the single action from a revolver unless they are bobbing the hammer and wanting to remove some more weight from the hammer. I don't see that it in anyway affects the double action pull.

Am I missing something here?

I don't see that it in anyway affects the double action pull.

Am I missing something here?

Maybe. I'll just cut and paste from Cunningham's article, "The Case for DAO":

"Without the need to worry about the single action sear, the double action can be tuned far more radically than is otherwise possible. In S&W and Ruger guns, reducing the DA pull to the barest minimum (as some request) will result in an unconscionably light SA pull - often below 32 ounces. Eliminating the SA notches means that this ceases to be a worry."

Cunningham's thoughts may to apply to many competitive wheelgunners, as they like their DA triggers on the light side.

Tom

Bosshoss, you're absolutely correct that whether the gun retains single action capability has no impact whatsoever on the DA trigger pull.

Grant Cunningham is simply saying he's not willing to make your DA pull real light if you also want to keep the SA cocking notch. Apparently, he's all worried about the SA pull going below 2 pounds--he calls that "unconscionably light." That might be a valid issue with a carry/defense gun, but I don't think Cunningham knows his way around our world of competition shooting, where it's not uncommon for shooters to have SA trigger pulls on their 1911/2011s that are a pound or less!