Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloads for Sig 1911 Tacops

Mikethor

Gidday all,

just purchased a sig 1911 tacops here in NZ and plan to use it in single stack here next year. Also have ordered a Dillon RL550b.

Question is what to reload for target work FMJ,LWSC ? 200 grain or 230 ? Ihave never reloaded before so are keen to learn.

Any ideas or feedback would be most appreciated. The sig has a 5 inch barrel and is .45.

for cost you will want lead. topscore, westcast and hawkesbury are all much of a muchness.

200swc or 230rn will be personal choice, try both and see which you like the feel of better.

find someone in your club that reloads and learn everything you can from them.

Edited by wanderer

Since you're in NZ, I presume you'll want to use it in IPSC "Classic Division"?

If so, you might have an issue. Accessory rails are not allowed in "Classic Division" (see item 16, appendix D3 in the 2012 IPSC Handgun rulebook), and all the SIG 1911 Tactical Operations are equipped with accessory rails, as far as I know.

I load 4.2gr of Bullseye with a 230 lead ball. Your gone have problems with swc's. I have trying to load some 201gn swc but my Tac Ops does not like them.

thanks for that info, have ordered 230 gn lrn and have ws231 ordered so I should be able to then find a workable load. How do like the Tac Ops?

No problems at all with my Tac Ops. Other than I shot a little to the left with it. It's my only pistol with night sights and I think I just need to get use to them. I can group better with it than any pistol that I have, just need to pull them a little to the right.

• 2 weeks later...

finally set up the Dillon RL550b yesterday and reloaded my first batch of ammo, quite pleased with myself to be honest.

i had the help of a fellow club member who has shot nothing but .45 and his input was invaluable.

Tested the ammo today in my Sig and shot a three shot group standing at 15 yards and was within 1.5 inch group then went out to the 20 yard mark and finally drilled one right through the centre of the 2 inch square piece of paper. The others were in the A zone but I was working on groups so was only happy with the last shot.

loaded 100 rounds using 4.5 grn winchester 231, federal primers and cases with Best 230 LRN. loading books indicate MV of around 765 but I have yet to chronograph this load. At least I can now afford to keep shooting. Thanks all for your help in my other thread.

The rounds fed without any issues whatsoever.

Edited by Mikethor

• 1 month later...

My SIG TacOps likes Solo 1000. 4.8 gr with a 230 Armscor FMj and 5.1 gr with a Magtech FMJ-SWC both shot 1.5" groups at 20 yards. Average velocity was 772 fps and 832 fps respectively. The best factory load out of my gun was Magtech 230 FMJ (45A). It went into 1.25" with a velocity of 786 fps. SD for those loads was 6, 5 & 9 respectively.