Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5th Annual Houghton Memorial 2-Gun Challenge, 3/31/12-4/1/12

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started bleeding on stage 6 after crawling. Then bleeding from another spot after stage 7 from the Uzi, but I'm not sure if it was from seating the mag too hard or racking the bolt.

Out of curiosity how many of us were bleeding after stage 7? I still don't know what got me, I know we kept the medic busy.

It sure was fun though!

Stage 7 hell, I was bleeding after the first stage. It seemed our squad did better with the Uzi than the MP5, was that typical?

Any word on when the results will be ready?

Stage #6 I think, the tunnel.

I head butted a 2x4, knocked off my hat messed up my ear muffs.

Had to crawl back thru the tunnel to get my stinking hat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-Th3X1hes

And I hit the stupid box with the grenade but I guess it just rolled out.

The Medic was laughing pretty hard when I asked if I was the first one bitten by the UZI.

He was almost out of Band-Aids.

I thought about doing a tac-ti-cool front roll and then engaging the star when exiting the tunnel as I was tumbling already!

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

I'm real surprised I finished as well as I did, especially with my semi crash and burn on stage 1 and many stupid mistakes scattered about.

The scores look a bit like last year in reverse, good weather day vs bad weather day.

This was my first Houghton Match and first time shooting a rifle in competition. However, despite the cold rain, I had a great time and look forward to next year's match. My biggest problem was shooting prone with the pack on my back. Of course, forgetting to extend the stock in that stage didn't help either.

The cadets were amazing!

I know Stage 1 had a lot of folks grumbling. I don't know if any video of that one is floating around.

Stage one cost me big in the overall finish. My inability to shoot accurately weak hand cost me big in the overall finish.

I don't have any video of that stage.

After some thought, this match tested both speed and accuracy with pistol and rifle with a slight bias towards pistol accuracy (my opinion). Those with a good mix of both did well.

The fact that some shooters did OK/well on stage 1 means to me it was doable and I was just not up to the task. Weak hand accuracy/hand gun accuracy at distance added to my practice list.

30 rounds at a paper plate close up, definitely an equipment and reload test. The varying times/results indicate it was a challenge for some.

David E.

^ I did the equipment part great. And then when I eventually remembered the reload part I did that okay as well. lol But by that time....

Stage 1. Ugh. Cold hands, cold gun, cold skills. I swear I fired 3/4's of my weak hand shots by accident. You know, breaking too early. An "oopsie". I think I had a whole magazine worth all total (until I gave up and ran away). And on the wall well... me and colors dont get along. I was so lost I just I dropped and did the prone ones skipping two others. Ended up with 3 FTN.

To critique some of it here instead of on the form;

A lot of people bitched about stage 8. Despite my brain fart I really liked it. Had they been allowed to use the plate rack as I believe was originally planed in would have been perfect.

The paper plates provided little feedback. Had I been shooting .45 I wouldn't have minded as much.

It was kind of a waste of ammo but I didn't mind stage 3 realy. Probably the only time I'll ever do a full 30 round semi auto mag dump.

I would say I have two complaints and a minor gripe.

The complaints are a personal issue not effecting the majority. The colorblind thing. On stage 6 the only two colors I could be sure of were blue and white. Yellow and green on the star looked exactly the same to me. And I still dont know if the green plates were the same shade of green as on the star or not (?). That aside I loved the stage. Target size and distance were perfect.

The other color issue was stage 1. If I stood in the middle and looked careful I could tell the red one from the brown one (was it brown or green?) "right red" was how I kept it straight adding another thing to remember.

The minor gripe would be that stage two this year and last year were so similar, but that's only if I go looking for things to grumble about. While I searching for complaints... make the prone shooting boxes a bit larger for us tall folks. ;)