Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where's My Ammo

de03x7

Could you look this stage over and give any suggestions on it. This is one of my first attempts at stage design so if it is beyond help fell free to let me know. I have 4-5 months to get it to something that can be used because we won't be able to shoot outdoors before April. I need to send a thanks to gino_aki for the stage design files from his Lazy Man's match thread.

The no-shoot targets on the right side will be covering drop turners to prevent shooting them before activating them. Placement and how many will be determined when it is set up. The Star and Plate rack will be angled so that you need to be up range of them to prevent breaking the 180. I may even have to place some no shoots or maybe a wall along the sides to help prevent this.Thanks for any help you can give me to make this work.

Where\'s my ammo.doc

The stage itself looks fine and I wish we had a bay big enough to set it up. However the score sheet is a little off, you only need one line for the steel not four. Steel is always just listed as steel not as separate arrays of steel.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

The stage itself looks fine and I wish we had a bay big enough to set it up. However the score sheet is a little off, you only need one line for the steel not four. Steel is always just listed as steel not as separate arrays of steel.

Brian

I know that the score sheets are always made with only one line for steel and that seems to work fine if you can see all the steel from any location. I thought that having the steel scored by array instead of in total may speed up resetting the stage as the squad could start resetting from which ever side the RO started scoring from instead of waiting for them to go all the way through the course to call the total number of steel hit. That would be an easy change to make if need be. The range we shoot at is one bay,around 50-60 yards wide and we usually set up two stages at a time. One squad will shoot one stage then the other squad will shoot the other one then both squads will go downrange to score and reset at the same time. We could look at setting up a second long narrow stage or maybe two shorter stages for the second squad to shoot along with this one so as to not have one squad always waiting for the other to get reset. The other option is to take it to the other club I shoot at where we shoot a USPSA Mini match after a 4 stage steel match. We have one stage which is a classifer and the other stage is usually a long field course each set up in their own bays. There are usually 15-20 shooters there and 6-8 will start the field course while the others start the classifer. As people finish the classifer they head to the field course and the first ones on the field course go to the classifer when enough people have rotated over to keep it moving. The only problem with going to the second place is there is no plate rack but subbing in plates would not be a problem.

Got a question: Are the 2 drop turners disappearing targets? If so, you should have a column of boxes on the scoresheet for NPM's. Nothing slows stats more than having to double check a scoresheet to see which misses are non-penalty misses and which ones aren't. (One person said they would rather enter scoresheets with 3-4 strings than deal with scoresheets with NPM's without proper NPM boxes.)

Looks like a fun stage, specially for the limited capacity divisions. I like it!

For Open and Limited, though, I can almost see the 3 position COF: run to on spot to load and shoot one side, grab a mag leaving the spot and run to it's mirror on the otherside, shoot other side standing or moving depending on skill level, and then run to center wall to shoot last 3 paper. Stage a backup mag on a barrel on the way to the center paper just in case.

If you tweak the stage just a bit more with a couple walls or barrels, I think you force more than the 3 positions.

Oh, one more thing: beware of placing steel uprange and at angles not parallel to the back berm. Splatter and ricochets may go to the peanut gallery. After the first time I screwed that up, I've since taken to placing a wooden wall on the uprange side of the steel to try to catch as much of the splatter/shrapnel as possible. It's not as visually appealing for spectators because they can't see all the steel, but I'd rather keep spectators safe.

Edited by Skydiver

I've only been shooting this game for a little over a year and haven't grasped all of the rules for setting things up. Our club is planning an RO class this spring which I plan to take but I knew that I could count on the people here to help me out until then. I made a few changes based on LPatterson's and Skydiver's comments.I added the hammer down for the start. Would it be better to take all of that out and just say according to rule 8.1? My plan is to leave the drop turners available after they have been activated but to have them covered before. I also know that I will need to watch where the second arrays on each side are set to prevent being able to engage them from the same place as the plate rack and star. I may need to put in a baricade to hide them. I may need to put in a couple more walls to make sure the plate rack and star cannot be engaged any place except from the front ends but I will figure that out when it is put up.@ Shadowrider, we have a couple people who shoot those funny looking guns with the big wheel on them so they were in mind as I put this together. My daughter, who shoots a Ruger SR9 loaded to 17 rounds looked at the stage a told me I was a dick for making it too easy for the revolvers but to hard for her with 5 17 round mags. My wife and I usually shoot in L-10 or production with our XDM 9s or 45s. I have been kicking the idea of picking up a Range Officer and playing in Single Stack.

Where\'s my ammo.doc

The second version looks good. Definitely forces more movement and flow through the stage. Nice!

Personally, I like the first version better, but that's just personal preference. To me, it's because although there is only one or two optimal ways to shoot the stage depending on the shooters division, it looks like there are more than just those optimal ways in the first version. The second version seems to trim down the options.

Any which way, both stages are good. If I find a bay deep enough and wide enough at home range, I'll probably borrow this stage in the future.