Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VIHTAVUORI N310 vs N320?

Nemesis Lead

I am building a long loaded (1.21 OAL) .40 major load for my SVI 6 inch gun. I will probably shoot 180 grain Montana Gold jacketed bullets.

I am wondering about the differences between VIHTAVUORI N310 and N320.

To anyone that has used both.....

Which is the softer shooter (or how is the recoil different)?

Which is cleaner?

Which is more temperature sensitive?

Which meters better?

Which is cheaper?

Which is more available?

Other differences?

Any sage advice is greatly appreciated!

I am building a long loaded (1.21 OAL) .40 major load for my SVI 6 inch gun. I will probably shoot 180 grain Montana Gold jacketed bullets.

I am wondering about the differences between VIHTAVUORI N310 and N320.

To anyone that has used both.....

Which is cleaner? Same

Which is more temperature sensitive?Same

Which meters better?Same

Which is cheaper?Same

Which is more available?310 because 320 is so popular it sells out all the time

Other differences?

Any sage advice is greatly appreciated!

310 was way more snappy in my 6" gun than 320. 320 is always sold out because everyone uses it. Everyone uses it because it is an awesome powder.

That being said, pick one and shoot a ton of it. You will get used to which ever one you shoot a lot of and then anything else will feel awful.

310 is not even recommended for any 40 load with any bullet. I tried some in a 45 and it was snappy scary with a 230gr Moly. 320 is not even recommended above a 165gr 40 bullet. For a 170gr it is N340, N350 & 3N37. Downloaded the chart 12/8/11.

4.7-5.0gr of N320, is a clean soft accurate load. Try some 180gr BayouBullets and drop the load down to 4.3-4.5gr. N310 might be ok but will be hard to find since it isn't popular. If you run out of N320 WST works good as a backup powder.

Edited by CocoBolo

I've been playing with 310 for the last couple of months. It is the weirdest powder I've ever loaded.If you try to download it, velocities are all over. I tried it in 9mm, .40, and .45. The only caliber I've gotten consistent velocities in is .45, and that only happens at the high end of recommended loads. :surprise:

For 9mm minor and .40 major, 320 is probably the best. :cheers:

I’m new to the form and use a lot of purple lid powders. I’m not an expert by any means. N310 is way to fast for my liking in a 40. N320 works great all across the board and the lone one that gets over looked is N340 A little slower then N320 and works great with 180’s. The only thing I found with N340 is you need a little more crimp for better burn.

Hope that helps.

N320 is all I've ever used in .40, I'm at 4.9/1.220 with MG 180's and make 169PF out of my 5" Edge.

N340 is perfect for the 200gr bullet, I have no load data, but know a couple of people who have made this their primary load.

N310 with a 165 maybe, no load info.

As others have said, it's a clean burning powder, also the powder is not temp sensitive, like many others.

I just bought a pound of Solo 1000, have heard its burn rate is very very close to N320 and it's $17/lb.

• 1 month later...

I run solo 1000 bit have not been successful making a major load. 4.7 grains got me to a 160pf (very soft feel) but im hiesetent to go to the max of 4.8 on a 180g mg. Tg made major with 4.7 out of the same gun. (5" dawson limited)

N320 is expensive and often sold out cause it works so well in major/minor pf loads. Runs cool, clean and recoils softly. I love the stuff. Solo 1000 is pretty soft, cheap and clean and is my back up for N320.

major pf practice load for my old 5" gun was 4.7/4.8 grains of Solo with a 180 grain BBI at 1.180 and 1.20 oal. Used to get pfs in the 168-170 range.

tried some 165's with my new 6" gun, feels like the gun was built around them.

FILE or FLUSH !

On the HODGDON burn rate chart VV N310 is in the numger 3 Three spot for fast.

For a guide info Hodgdon Clay is number 10 ten, and Titegroup is number 14 fourteen,

The list has 144 powders on same at the latest printing.

The above posters gave good advice.

If you gonna play with fast powders buy a good Chrono and use it.

A lil Hillbilly - Work loads up slow and don't do dumb POOP.

Be SAFE,

Perry

My feeling is that you are asking the wrong question.

Try "Vihtavuori" N320 vs N340?

N320 is extremetly popular in long loaded .40 with the 180 grain bullet.

I have shot a bunch of it with 5.1 grains behind Montana Gold 180s.

That said, ...... IMHO, even 320 is almost too fast.

The difference between loads that are hot enough to make major and loads that produce high pressures, is a little too thin for my taste.

The fact is that even with powders that meter well like N320, there is always some weight tolerance in thrown powder charges.

Combine that with a powder scale thats a little out of calibration, or any other handloading mistake and things can get pretty dicy.

I once had a batch that seemed pretty hot when I shot them.

I decided to pull a few of them and discovered that what I meant to be 5.1 grains, acutally weighed out at around 5.3 - 5.4.

They were hot but I really didn't think they were unsafe.

I was too lazy to pull a couple of hundred rounds, so I decided to use them up in practice.

Before I got through 100 rounds, my gun stopped running and I discovered I had a cracked breechface.

Now, before 50 people jump on me and say: "You're full of crap. I routinely use that much 320 in my loads with no trouble",

let me state that I'm not saying the powder is unsafe. Lots of our shooters burn it every day.

I just think that its borderline fast for .40 cal.

As stated, its a short trip from barely making major to scary high pressure.

310? No way.

Since repairing my breechface, I'm becoming a big fan of N340.

Tls

Edited by 38superman

• 4 weeks later...

I've used almost 20 lbs of VV 310 in the last few years with no problems in .40 major.

Right around 4.5 gr with MG or Zero 180 JHP or FMJ bullet at or near 1.200-1.210, depending on case.

170 pf+out of my Edge w/new bbl, Eagle with worn bbl, Trojan with new bbl . . .No blown primers. But they are flat! 172 PF is highest I have chromo'ed at a major match. Primer used were WW SRP and Wolf SRP.

No breechface erosion eviidence as excessive. at this time.

Usually 925-965 fps from all these guns . . .

Also used it for .45 with great results in 200gr as well as 230gr bullets.

It is my favorite powder- meters well (in Dillon 650) , and chronos well.

Very consistent always.

Last purchase last year 8 lbs- still working great in all guns.

Call me a heretic, but it works for me!

YMMV . . . .

Edited by TISCHLJ

I'No breechface erosion eviidence as excessive. at this time.

<snip>

Call me a heretic, but it works for me!

YMMV . . . .

Dear Heretic,

With those flattened primers, you are definitely getting a tight seal between the primer and the pocket; hence, no breechface erosion! :sight:

Honestly, I "liked" 310 in my 147 gr. 9mm loads for Production, but case blow-outs are not high up on my list for recreational occurrences. But they felt GOOD!