Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why a 22 rimfire division is needed in USPSA

Who is this TGO guy anyway.....he comes in here with almost zero post count, throws down all these crazy ideas and you guys worship him! :ph34r:

Probably some armchair commando. They guy's only got 150 posts, but talks like he thinks he's a 16+ time nat champ or GM or something. Wonder if he can shoot? rolleyes.gif

Edited by bbbean

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is this TGO guy anyway.....he comes in here with almost zero post count, throws down all these crazy ideas and you guys worship him! :ph34r:

Dude I can't believe you don't know who TGO is. TGO=The Goofy One. He's the guy that gets up every year at Nationals with the really long speeches that take longer than he actually spent shooting during the match.

Seriously, y'all don't know who it is? Obviously, it is code speak for the Test Gunnery Orangutan. It started as a government experiment and then the program was decommissioned. All that knee surgery talk was just the final step in making him appear totally human and walk upright. Beware if he starts slinging poo again.

Seriously, y'all don't know who it is? Obviously, it is code speak for the Test Gunnery Orangutan. It started as a government experiment and then the program was decommissioned. All that knee surgery talk was just the final step in making him appear totally human and walk upright. Beware if he starts slinging poo again.

Too late

Ow, Ow,, Ow, Ow and Ow! Now I really feel the love. I still can't get over Chuck trying to shoot 147's at minor out of a 32 twist barrel! That's really funny!!

President, of USPSA? Hummmmmm??????? Now that would be something! I'd probably just end up getting impeached for trying to make the sport Practical or some such nonsense!!

I've really got 150 posts? Man, I gotta go shooting!

Rob

You're kidding right? It is written right at the bottom of all of his posts, GOOGLE IT and post less. High post count has nothing to do with being a national champion. I almost fell out of my chair when I read this... thank you!!! You made my day!!! Gotta love the internet!!! :roflol:

Edited by leadslinger275

You're kidding right? It is written right at the bottom of all of his posts, GOOGLE IT and post less. High post count has nothing to do with being a national champion. I almost fell out of my chair when I read this... thank you!!! You made my day!!! Gotta love the internet!!! :roflol:

No seriously, who's Rob Leatham?

Apparently the kid wasn't the only one on the short bus....

Nope, he was accompanied by at least three dummies who couldn't recognize sarcasm if it had a sign posted on it :rolleyes:

And just how are we supposed to know that was sarcasm????????? <_<

Edited by kmca

Nope, he was accompanied by at least three dummies who couldn't recognize sarcasm if it had a sign posted on it :rolleyes:

What do you want, a list?

1) Posted by a long time member and active shooter

2) The rash of sarcastic posts by other long time members and active shooters

3) The obvious lack of learned members not addressing the post seriously

;)

What do you want, a list?

1) Posted by a long time member and active shooter

2) The rash of sarcastic posts by other long time members and active shooters

3) The obvious lack of learned members not addressing the post seriously

;)

And the little smart ass ninja smiley.

Hey, I think Flex has a thread for you down in the what I like section.

There was another thread on this topic awhile back, hmmm, I don't recall what my thoughts were then, but I can see the benefits of a .22 rimfire "division" being some sort of a separate entity like Steel Challenge. Sure, Steel Challenge has a .22 match but there be no runnin' and gunnin' which would be half my reason for shooting it; the other half being able to go to Sports Authority the night before the match and picking up ammo for sixteen bucks.

As for practicality as defined by DVC, well, of course it wouldn't be "practical" except in the sense of getting in trigger time and stage breakdown, "practice" as TGO said...but that would be the point, wouldn't it? Being an official match would induce the match pressure that most practice lacks. I do agree a .22 division would be difficult to incorporate into a center-fire match which is why I would leave it as a sanctioned side or separate match.

Would it dilute our participation? Does Steel Challenge? Would some leave the "real" matches to shoot relatively inexpensively? Maybe, but I can see a lot of newer .22 shooters "graduating" to the practical side of our sport too, once they got the bug. It might also help with retention since many other threads have alluded to the cost of our sport being a main reason that people leave.

Administratively, I'd hate to saddle our great national office staff with another entity to keep track of, but would the activity fees make it worthwhile to hire additional personnel? I'm pretty sure the people who coded EZWinscore could add the particulars for .22 scoring. I'd say steel would only need to be hit to count rather than knocked down. 'Course that means repainting rather than setting steel but that shouldn't be a biggie.

As for "categories" I'd say two: Open and Limited. 10 round magazine/cylinder capacity limit primarily for ease of implementation.

The big "pro" in my mind would actually come from outside our organization if the .22 matches caught on. It's pretty well a given on how much our sport has influenced firearm design and all the businesses that have grown and thrived supplying us with all the accoutrements we need (or think we need) to participate. What would .22 Open guns look like? Would there be radical designs or would the default gun be .22 upper on a single stack frame? How many manufacturers would come up with .22 replicas of their Production capable guns that actually worked? Magwells, holsters, magazines...could be part our contribution to the economic recovery.

The 1977 National United States

Practical Pistol Championships

In June of 1976, representatives from thirteen nations met in Columbia, Missouri to create the International Practical Shooting Conferation. Note the

second word in the title-Practical! This is the word that makes the IPSC stand alone in the realm of handgun shooting.

American Handgunner Article

Introducing new shooters/juniors to the experience of shooting multiple targets while being "on the clock" is a great way to develop interest in our sport. This is best accoplishd by having them shoot matches many clubs already have such as "falling plates" and Steel Challenge. We do this at our club and find many of these new shooters grow into shooting USPSA/IDPA matches when they are ready. There is no reason to add 22 rimfire to all the current choices for shooters that want to come shoot with us. I think we have too many now.

I agree that more clubs should consider adding Steel Challenge as opposed to having some type of USPSA class for rimfires. My son shoots USPSA with a centerfire, and when he shoots Steel Challenge he prefers to shoot in the rimfire handgun open class and the rimfire rifle open class. It's something different, and I like it because it doesn't add to our reloading load.

I believe that by adding Steel Challenge a club will not only draw some of their existing USPSA shooters to the matches, they will also add completely new shooters because of the ability to shoot rimfires. I'm guessing that new shooters that are drawn to Steel Challenge may also become interested in other disciplines such as USPSA as they gain experience and have some fun. Other than the initial investment in the required steel and supports I don't see much of a downside for a club.

I enjoy shooting my open USPSA gun in Steel Challenge because it's not only a ton of fun, it's also a great way to practice draws.

Question.

After the old guys die off who is going to be shooting USPSA Matches?

Question.

How do you create a feeder program into USPSA?

Question.

How do you make a USPSA Match a family event? Remember if only one member of the family participates it's not a family event.

Question.

How do you address the age and gender disparities that exist at USPSA Matches?

All of the above can be answered with the addition of a 22 rimfire division within USPSA. The future of the sport is wholly dependent upon getting more people involved at a younger age and this is the format that can produce results. I know some of you are dead set against it but stop and consider the future of the sport for a moment. Without new people coming in it will just die out. A 22 Rimfire Division is the easiet way to funnel shootes into the regular USPSA matches. A 22 Rimfire Division would be family friendly thereby allowing family members young and old to compete together. Getting the whole family involved not only guarantees a future for the sport but strengthens its political clout making it far less likely that the anti-gunners will ever succeed in their efforts.

Example. At my last match I was only one of 2 females who shot the match. Normally I'm the only female shooting and I'm 60 years old which makes me young middle age of those who shoot our match. There is no future for the sport with that type of age and gender representation. Last year I did an out of town rifle match where I was the only female shooting. If any of the shooting sports wish to maintain and grow they better figure out how to get more people involved and a 22 Rimfire Division in USPSA is a great step in making sure USPSA exists in the future.