Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Red Ryder

best OAL for a Glock 17

I am tinkering with a load for my G17 with a 14lb main spring. I currently use 124 gr CMJ Montana Gold with 4.2 grains of N320 loaded out to 1.150. It seems accurate enough. It sand bagged well at the range. PF 130+ ish. This load would not function/feed with stock mainspring. What OAL does the "forum mind" recommend?

Edited by Red Ryder

I ran MG 124 CMJ's at 1.13 in my G34. That was the most accurate oal for MY gun. The load you are using should cycle a stock Glock just fine. You sure about all the data?

I ran MG 124 CMJ's at 1.13 in my G34. That was the most accurate oal for MY gun. The load you are using should cycle a stock Glock just fine. You sure about all the data?

I am 100% certain about the data. My load would not cycle the slide reliably. Fresh rounds were getting jammed under non ejected spent rounds. Failure to ejects. Many. When I changed the main spring from stock Glock to wolff 14lb and solid guide rod...no jams...no problems.

Vihtavouri website gives data for OAL of 1.142. So going below 1.142 is reasonably safe?

What OAL does the "forum mind" recommend?

Out of my G34, I have noticed that 1.130" with of N320 behind a 124gr Zero FMJ bullet produced the best accuracy. Nonetheless I must also add that, in my experience, VV N320 & 124gr bullets is not the most accurate combination I have tried.

1.135" max. My limit is the magazine. @ 1.15 I experience misfeeds due to binding of bullet inside the mag as they move upward. Although not so many, its still a jam.

My 34 wouldn't function with 130ish loads with the stock spring either, I run 1.130 COL

I've heard a few knowlegeable Glockster's say that the platform runs better at 135 PF or above (with stock springing, though I personally go lower on the recoil spring at 11# to 13# using MG 147's at 1.125 to 1.130).

I'm not sure that tweaking the OAL will make that much of a difference at that PF, if the gun is essentially on the edge of short stroking. I'm with the last two posters - consider lightening the spring. It may be important in your particular case that the slide reaches it full rearward extent in recoil to improve ejection.

Edited by kevin c

**Double Post**

Edited by kevin c

So what OAL offers the best accuracy in a G 17 using N320? I will triple check how 1.150 fits in the mags, but maybe that could have added to the failure to feeds, if the tip was dragging on the front of the magazine housing. If it was, it went away somehow with a 14 lb main spring.

I'm surprised to hear about so many issues with an OAL of 1.15" in Glock magazines.

I've shot over 17K rounds of Federal AE 124g ammo this year, it measures 1.151", I didn't have any issues.

Edited by rijndael

I uses 1.130, I've used that length for 23 years since I got my G17 in 1989. I was just thinking about this the other as to why I use this length, and see how soo many other guys use it or close to it, It must of been some thing I read back than.

That load is my International load for my G-17, albeit yours is longer (I am at 1.105"). It is a powder-puff, so it doesn't surprise me that it short strokes. If ANYTHING is slightly off-kilter and allows the gun to move during the firing cycle (looser grip, more flex in the elbows, not enough forward weight bias, etc.), that load will be marginal with a new factory 17# spring. I use an old worn out one....

I'm surprised to hear about so many issues with an OAL of 1.15" in Glock magazines.

I've shot over 17K rounds of Federal AE 124g ammo this year, it measures 1.151", I didn't have any issues.

+1

G4 model 34, my wife runs the same ammo that I load for the S-I, 133PF at 1.15-1.155

I run mine at about 1.125... If my 550 decides to wobble a little in either direction, I am still safe.... My Glocks (40 and 9) eat them all day...

I run mine at about 1.125... If my 550 decides to wobble a little in either direction, I am still safe.... My Glocks (40 and 9) eat them all day...

same here. I also use mg 124 grain bullet. No issues and seem to be very accurate.

I just started shooting with a gen4 G34, this is the load I have been using for practice ammo. I am in the process of loading 10k.

Lone wolf barrel

dardas cast bullets 125 grn 9mm

4.1 hp-38

CCI 500 primer

1.135 oal

Edited by Boosted3s

Most people say 1.130-1.135 for 9mm & 40 FMJ loads, and 1.125ish for JHP's in Glocks. I have loaded 147gr Berrys over 3.5gr Titegroup, with OAL's from 1.130-1.155, for my GEN 4 G17. They all functioned fine with the stock RSA, as well as 13# & 15# ISMI springs (Jager Polymer GEN 4 Guide Rod). I like the 13# the best so far.

I just got 3k PD 124gr JHP's, so I'll be working up some SSP/Production loads with WST, WSF & TG soon. I'll be loading them @ 1.120-1.125.

Edited by MEAT

So, 8 years later, any changes in preferred OAL for Glock’s?

I ask because I’ve been running 4.0 gr TiteGroup with Berry’s 124 gr RN and an OAL of 1.139 since 2007 with no issues. Running in a G34 and G17 mostly.

Now I’m getting into PCC and research says to load shorter to get the rounds to fit into some of the mag extensions for Glock mags. Taylor Freelance mentions an OAL of 1.115 or less I think.

So I’m wondering if the shorter OAL will end up affecting reliability in my Glocks. I don’t want to have a different load for Production Guns and PCC.

Thanks, and sorry in advance for the thread revival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk