Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft for Entry Level Shooters

rpage

Ok so I have been out of the shooting circles for a while due to work and schedule. I have recently been getting back into some local fun matches and have gotten the bug again. I have decided that I will use airsoft as a large portion of my practice as I no longer live where I can walk out my back door with my real gun and shoot, as well as ammo cost. I am lucky enough to have a guy that goes to my church that sales airsoft and will be getting some good deals.

I have always been a guy that tries to get people into shooting, and the biggest turn downs are due to cost, time and over all comfort levels with the guns. My thoughts are this, and it may be being done in other places. Setup a monthly airsoft shoot where it is very informal ( with the exception on safety and range commands) but more of a fun shoot, have some guns on hand to put in the hands of people that do not have them. Let them shoot and get comfortable and then when they are hooked bring them over to the real steel side of things. Use it as not only an awesome training tool but as a launching pad to real steel.

I believe we would be able to reach younger shooters as well.

What would be your thoughts on this idea.

Awesome idea! That's how things started in Hong Kong, and now it is one of the biggest airsoft IPSC nations in the world, spreading the sport to other parts of Asia.

I do believe that with the correct attitude, handling airsoft guns properly does help build comfort levels. I know I transitioned into real firearms very well because of years of airsoft (Since I was 5?)

Just ensure that the liability aspect is covered to prevent any grief on your part, no matter how slight... eye protection is a must.

Good on you for wanting to expose others to this wonderful sport!

I am very glad to hear that someone is thinking along the same lines that I have been preaching to the choir about.

If you will follow on this topic will find my comments, I'm trying to interest others in airsoft ipsc,idpa, and steel challenge competitions. The target size and the type of targets can be scaled for perspective and shorter distances that most airsoft pistols and rifles will be accurate at.

If if you were in my area we would be trying to work something out right now. If you ever get to mesa Arizona make sure you let me know.

I generally have three to four stages of setup in the backyard and any given time.

I can't seem to generate any interest in airsoft competition in this area. I put up fliers with my e-mail address at a couple of airsoft stores. No takers.

I know there are people in my area who practice with airsoft, but they just don't seem interested in joining or helping me start a competition group.

That being said, I still am working on making better targets and stages. My latest project is to put together a two gun stage. I'd make it three gun if they ever start building a decent shotgun.

If anybody out there has heard of an airsoft shotgun that shoots more than three rounds at a time I'll probably buy one and start working out stages for that and we'll be ready to go three gun.

Good luck on your project. I hope you can find others in your area to interest.

I have posted some links and some photographs of targets setups that I have. If you would like any ideas send me a note and we will compare target and stage design.

falcor

My plans are to not be an equipment nazi to start with but all other rules apply.

Safety first

Scoring based on IPSC Action Air

Stages that are fast and fun for the new shooters (which the ones I have interested are)

A lot of "steel" for the instant gradification. Might actually work something out with the guy that goes to my church that sales airsoft for some type of prizes and loaner guns for people wanting to try it out.

I think a lot of guys that already shoot real steel see the competition as useless, but I think it is a huge opportunity to get new blood in. Exspecially kids

Edited by rpage

I have already been looking at there stuff just trying to plan appropriately.

I have a guy working on some targets and have lined up space to shoot. Plan to start small the build has we get it nailed down.

• 2 months later...

As long as you can DRILL the 4 rules in, I think it's an excellent idea - my concern in using it to introduce new shooters is the way they treat things which look and feel quite close to actual firearms, like toys - could be asking for trouble if those same people ever get exposed to actual weapons.