Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Shadow Team -- a new member

justaute

Just want to take a quick moment to introduce my newest CZ team member, "two-tone" custom Shadow. Please pardon my point-n-shoot photography skill.

You may have seen a few photos of the two-tone Shadow posted by Stuart (eerw) -- that's my Shadow. Stuart and his gunsmith did all the custom work including trigger job, slide-milling, sight-install (front and rear), CZ custom hammer install, and reliability job. Although I only shot a few rounds through it today, I can already tell the trigger job is amazing. The DA is about 5.5# and SA is about 2.2# and has a very clean break; the SA trigger break is even cleaner than my black Shadow, which also has about a 2.2# SA. Both Shadows have the shorter disconnector and 11.5# hammer springs from CGW.

The two-tone slide has been treated by Black Nitride, a ferritic nitrocarburizing treatment similar to that of tenifer/melonite. The frame, hammer, and other small-parts are treated by CCR Refinishing using Cera-Plate II composite finishing, which is an electroless nickel/boron nitrite treatment. Stuart also did the additional checking/assembly/testing work after the finishing treatment. Stuart -- thanks for the great work.

The grips on the two-tone are the new G10 Diamond Backs from VZ Grips. These grips have a very grippy-feel, but I'm not sure they are thick/wide enough for my hands. The grips on my black Shadow are the long-arch aluminum (covered in skateboard tape) from CZC and are measured screw-to-screw approximately 1.35", compare to 1.25" of VZ.

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1465-1.png

Edited by justaute

Had CGW disconnectors installed. I did not install the forward adjustment screw to keep them USPSA legal. The triggers rest position looks that way because the TRS has been modified to be "loose/weak." Thus, there is about a 4mm pretravel/slack for DA.

Ken,

What have you had done to the guns? They seem to have quite different trigger (resting) position... just by looking at the pix...

Edited by justaute

Justaute that is a very cool CZ! I had a question. When looking at the sights when you are ready to shoot do you see any slide towards the bottom of the rear sight notch?

I ask because I pick up my CZSP01 on Saturday and after verifying its a shooter will be sending it off for new sights and an improved trigger. I was planning on a fixed sights but this Tripp sight looks great and the ability to zero down exactly has got to be nice. Can you comment on that?

When I'm on the practice range I love a pistol that allows me to play a game I call chase the bullet hole. Its pretty much stacking all the shots on top of the first bullet whole on a blank target. I have been settling for "close" with my fixed sighted Glocks. This Tripp sight on the CZ looks like it could be just about perfect for action pistol.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

CeeZer... the hammer on my duo-tone Shadow is the new Comp Hammer, which has a bit lower profile and I like it better.

Just got back from a live-fire practice...wow, wow, wow. That trigger job is amazing. Although the SA is very light, the sear-break was very, very clean. Much cleaner than my black Shadow. eerw/Stuart -- thank you very much for the work.

Stu never disappoints!!! Ever!!!

Very interesting to see and know that Comp hammer got re-designed.

I had tons of fun last night too learning how to 'slap' trigger as well as shooting upside down while being on the ground on my back :D :D

• 2 months later...

Those are Mec-Gar's +2 base pad. Depending on the height of your rear-sight blade, your Shadow might not fit into the USPSA box.

what magazine base pads are those??

nice finish on the 2tone

Unfortunately, I don't have any first-hand experience on that. You might also want to look at the competition rubber base pads from Beretta, which are also cheaper than the CZ rubber base pads. Although I have no personal experience, according to many the Berretta pads work fine on CZ factory mags.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/for-beretta-92-96-black-rubber-magazine-pad-15-10rd-mds-brand/ms1770332/

http://czcustom.com/Rubber-Base-Pads-For-CZ-Magazines.aspx

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=841&zenid=5100ff83bd8ade72230560f433c80ce7

Good luck.

i Keep popping off the stock base pads during reloads, so i am locking for options.

with the stock CZ rear sight will those guns fit with the mec-gar's?

Thanks

Nightrod...I had CCR Refinishing plate my frame (cera plate II or CPii). It's a type of electroless nickel boron plating and I like it so far. Mine took about 3 weeks. In regard to checkering the grip -- assuming you are talking about front/back straps -- I'm don't know who can do it and have heard the frame may be too thin to do checkering.

FWIW, if you shoot USPSA Production division, checkering is not legal.

I love to have my shadow to be two toned also. Any suggestion who can do it? How long is the wait plus checkering the grip?

Unfortunately, I don't have any first-hand experience on that. You might also want to look at the competition rubber base pads from Beretta, which are also cheaper than the CZ rubber base pads. Although I have no personal experience, according to many the Berretta pads work fine on CZ factory mags.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/for-beretta-92-96-black-rubber-magazine-pad-15-10rd-mds-brand/ms1770332/

http://czcustom.com/Rubber-Base-Pads-For-CZ-Magazines.aspx

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107&products_id=841&zenid=5100ff83bd8ade72230560f433c80ce7

Good luck.

i Keep popping off the stock base pads during reloads, so i am locking for options.

with the stock CZ rear sight will those guns fit with the mec-gar's?

Thanks

thanks these think will help me a bunch

• 1 month later...

For the OP, how is the Cera-Plate holding up? Any complaints? Some have mentioned that it makes the gun too slippery. Has this affected you in the Texas heat? Also it seems hard to judge from internet pics how much silver/nickel/grey is in the finish. How would you describe the color?

I just placed an order for a 75 Shadow earlier this week. I am also going to let Stuart work his magic on the pistol before it heads my way. The combination of your refinish job, as well as the pics Stuart has posted recently has got me thinking about getting the gun refinished while he has it apart. I am seriously thinking about getting CCR to do the whole job and really looking for some feedback before committing.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt...I have only about a thousand rounds through it, but the cpii is holding up very well. The new cpii plating is not nearly as slippery as the previous process, and yet appears to provide ample lubricity. In short, I really like it so far. As far as heat goes, nit quite that part of the year just yet. The color is, well, silver with a hint of nickel. Fwiw...My CCR experience was great.

DoubleL...thanks.

Edited by justaute

Matt...I have only about a thousand rounds through it, but the cpii is holding up very well. The new cpii plating is not nearly as slippery as the previous process, and yet appears to provide ample lubricity. In short, I really like it so far. As far as heat goes, nit quite that part of the year just yet. The color is, well, silver with a hint of nickel. Fwiw...My CCR experience was great.

Thanks so much for the input. Looks like CPII it is! Am planning on doing both the frame and slide in CPII, thats why I was worried about it being too slippery. Planning on doing a CCR version of the SAO IDPA gun Stuart posted, replacing the burnt bronze cerakote with CPII and their Cerahide for the black accents. The fact that I'm an expatriate Tennessean sealed the deal. Will posts picks in 4-6 wks when its all done, if Stuart doesn't first.

The grips on the two-tone are the new G10 Diamond Backs from VZ Grips. These grips have a very grippy-feel, but I'm not sure they are thick/wide enough for my hands. The grips on my black Shadow are the long-arch aluminum (covered in skateboard tape) from CZC and are measured screw-to-screw approximately 1.35", compare to 1.25" of VZ.

One other question,

How are the VZ grips holding up size wise compared to the arched aluminum? Also have big hands, I am going to start with stock rubber grips to get a feel of the size first and had thought about trying VZ or arched aluminum grips in the future.

Thanks again,

Matt