Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parents signing papers on a new house

Modoc

My folks are signing papers to buy a house locally tomorrow. :cheers: This is a good thin since the live up by Alturas, CA but have their medical and shopping here in Redding. In the past three months, they have been down 80% of the weekends and about a third of the weeks. They are also not doing well with Great Basin winters.

The down side is that it looks like I will be moving them down a load a week once escrow closes. :unsure:

Not only is there the household contents, but my Dad's Gunsmithing, welding, black smithing and woodworking stuff. He is talking about parting with the lathe, but I'm not sure of anything else.

Oh well, the peace of mind and lack of an 8 hour round trip for them to see Drs will be worth it. :cheers:

Now to line up some replacement range masters for the next couple of months. :devil:

If you can at all afford it, order boxes and packing supplies in from some place like U-line, spend what time it takes to pack them up, and then hire movers to actually move the stuff.....

Movers are affordable if all they're doing is carrying stuff out of the house and loading it. Movers are not affordable if they're waiting for you to finish packing or to disassemble something....

Label boxes on all sides with their destination at the new house -- to make the unloading process faster. Or, if it's a nice day, and you have help, have them stack all of the boxes in the driveway, and just move the big, heavy pieces inside.....

If your folks take the opportunity to reassess what they need/want to keep, then discard anything they are getting rid off prior to the move -- sell it, donate it, scrap it....

If your folks take the opportunity to reassess what they need/want to keep, then discard anything they are getting rid off prior to the move -- sell it, donate it, scrap it....

Nik,

Already started on some of that. Looking for a home for a Shenwai 12"x36" ( I think) lathe, the bluing tanks are gone and a large chunk of the assorted steel has left too. We will probably move in stages, Shop/barn contents first then the house. I just wish that it was not January/February that they will be moving. We are talking rural high desert and mountain roads here :wacko: