Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What barrel length should i get for an 870P?

Jin

Was thinking about getting a longer barrel for my 870P, for skeet and sporting clays (multi-purpose).

It's just for fun, I realize there are dedicated shotguns for this, but i was just trying to get up and running without spending too much.

what do you recommend i should go with? I was thinking about 28"?

Thanks!

Edited by Jin

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the 28 or 30. If you are fairly tall you can use the 30 on skeet ok, otherwise go with the 28 for a good compromise. Remember when comparing to break open guns the receiver on the pumps and auto's adds 4" or so to the sighting plane. So a 28" auto is about equal to a 32" ou in effective sighting plane.

• 4 months later...

I agree with the 28 or 30. The most important thing however is that the barrel has choke tubes rather than fixed choke if you want to shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays with it.

For trap you will need a tighter choke, and for skeet a very open choke. Sporting clays could call for any number of different chokes depending upon how the course is set up.

Jim

• 3 years later...

28" with tubes would be a good choice. If you want to shoot trap a 30" barrel might be more suited to the game. Also shooting trap a fixed choke barrel would be acceptable in full choke or improved modified.

• 2 years later...