Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

I'll make those easy. NO BULLET THAT IS MAGNETIC AT ALL OF ANY KIND!

Hey Kurt...can we shoot the Wolf Performance ammo (lead core) on the paper only stages? And save the good stuff for longer distances on steel?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will make this as plain as I can.

IF YOU ARE CAUGHT WITH ANY BULLETS THAT ATTRACT A MAGNET IN ANY MANOR YOU WILL BE D.Q.ED! IT DOESN'T MATTER FOR WHAT PURPOSE YOU INTENDED THEM YOU WILL BE D.Q.ED! NOT ON PAPER, NOT ON STEEL, NOT "JUST INTO THE BERM" NOT AT THE SIGHT IN RANGE, NOT TO FUNCTION CHECK MAGAZINES OR FIREARMS.

We will be checking dropped magazines durring stages and random checks through out the match, if we find any in your range bag it is a trip to D.Q. NO STEEL JACKETED/CORED BULLETS AT ALL!!!

Edited by kurtm

well dang, everything i had was hornady steel match. i didn't think the case mattered. spent the last of my bucks on a huge buy of it. anyone want to trade? lol.

Case != bullet. Sounds like if the bullet is lead core (no steel), you are fine. He didn't say anything about steel casings.

yep...got that point across very well...thanks Kurt!

I'm heading to the store this afternoon to buy new ammo even though the bullets are not steel core...damn metal cases.

DUDE! Kurt was speaking plainly enough. The bullet alone can not be attracted to a magnet. The case can by made of tifrickentainium.

Pull a bullet and see if it is attracted to a magnet. If yes, do not bring it with you. If no, you can.

No need to buy other ammo if your pulled bullet can pass the test.

Pulled bullet from Wolf Performance 55 gr JHP was slightly magnetic ...would barely stay on magnet, but it was attracted. i think the jacket is bi-metal causing it to be magnetic...but just to be safe...I'll just buy more ammo. I can always use the Wolf crap on our steel since I've been shooting it forever.

Hoping the wolf gold is non metallic. From what I have seen its 193 just rebranded.

The wolf Gold is all copper jacket. The Wolf performance is bi-metal and copper jacket(not sure what bi-metal means). Checked it out on the Wolf web site.

Not a problem Kurt...I just don't want to be DQ'ed... So I got a batch of new stuff. I just can't wait to shoot it!!!

as i recall there will be some shooting on thursday,but i believe that did want any one around to slow them down but you free to look at the unuse stages.but ask my wife the mind is gone. so i could be thinking of a different match.

and do believe they will try finish early so they can grab a break. but i am a no body

How do the Pro Clinics work? Are we strictly listening to the instructors speak, or are we out on the range getting hands-on instruction and shooting our guns? I'm wanting to know so I can plan how much extra ammo to bring to the match. Thanks!

Since my first question wasn't answered does anyone know how long the R.O.'s will take to shoot all the stages on Thursday? I wanted to see if by the time I got there I would possibly get to watch a few of them shoot through the stages?

Well it depends on what time you get there, but you can watch any stage being shot as long as you aren't interfering with the ROs match.....at least that is how I understand it. ROs that get there early Wednesday may have the option to shoot 3 of the stages on Wednesday so as to space our shooting out some as well. That is the plan as I have heard it.

Any idea on distance and target size on the slug steel on Pro 7 thru the port?

In a discussion on slugs in a 2 Aug post in this thread:

My plan is to use the MGM B/C zone tgts
The slug tgt distances will be 50 to 75 yds

Pro rifle discussion; "thinking 300-350 for MGM Flashers, not sure untill steel is set"

Not sure if there is an update.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

How do the Pro Clinics work? Are we strictly listening to the instructors speak, or are we out on the range getting hands-on instruction and shooting our guns? I'm wanting to know so I can plan how much extra ammo to bring to the match. Thanks!

Last year they were seminars where we listened to the pros talk. Por ejemplo, Jerry Miculek gave a great talk about how he'd approach one of the AM stages (the seminar was held at the range bay where it was set up). The information was invaluable & definitely paradigm expanding. No ammo was needed.

Edited by Buckeye67

I dont have any steel rifle or pistol ammo but I have loads of shotgun wetland hunting shells that could be steel - is this bad, or is it OK as long as I dont shoot at the distant rifle targets with it ??

Kurt can you make this a little clearer, I am confused now....

I dont have any steel rifle or pistol ammo but I have loads of shotgun wetland hunting shells that could be steel - is this bad, or is it OK as long as I dont shoot at the distant rifle targets with it ??

Kurt can you make this a little clearer, I am confused now....

Got this from the rules.

4. Ammunition

4.1. No tracer, incendiary, armor piercing, steel jacketed, or steel core ammunition is allowed.

4.2. Pistol/revolver ammunition shall be 9x19 or larger.

4.3. Rifle ammunition shall be .223 Remington (5.56 NATO) or larger.

4.4. Shotgun ammunition shall be 20 gauge or larger, LEAD SHOT & SLUGS ONLY.

4.4.1. No steel shot ammunition allowed.

4.4.2. Slugs may be prohibited on some targets.

4.5. Use of prohibited types of ammunition may result in a match disqualification.

Edited by Onagoth