Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

Another amateur question for you pros/experts: I currently have an EoTech on my AR. Will an EoTech 3x magnifier work for me or do I need to remove the EoTech and mount a scope, "Vortex Viper PST 1-4 X 24mm" for example?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another amateur question for you pros/experts: I currently have an EoTech on my AR. Will an EoTech 3x magnifier work for me or do I need to remove the EoTech and mount a scope, "Vortex Viper PST 1-4 X 24mm" for example?

Not a pro or expert, but it would depend on what Gary does with the stages. Last year It would have been fine. The 1x4 might be a better choice though if you already have it as an option.

Not a pro or expert, but it would depend on what Gary does with the stages. Last year It would have been fine. The 1x4 might be a better choice though if you already have it as an option.

I don't have the scope or EoTech 3x. I am trying to decide which to purchase???

Edited by Cheytac

I use an EOTech holosight and I paired it with a 5x magnifier from Primary Arms. Significantly cheaper than the EOTech magnifier, and better magnification. I have used a buddy's rifle fitted out with the EOTech magnifier; while I guess the optical quality is a bit better on the EOTech, it's not enough to make me regret saving several hundred dollars and getting higher magnification. I've used this combo on targets out to 300yds. The only reason I haven't shot it farther is that I have yet to do matches with targets farther away than that.

Personally, I plan on sticking with this combo until I feel an overwhelming need to drop a lot of money on an outstanding 1-6x scope. :)

I shot the AM match last year with my 16" middy and an Aimpoint T-1 without any sort of magnifier. I didn't have any problems with any of the stages... well, none due to the optic I had mounted (plenty of problems caused by myself :roflol: ).

That said, the versatility of the 1-4x is fantastic and my current 3-Gun rifle has a Vortex 1-4x.

Edited by Buckeye67

For this match it more depends on the shooter. If you know where to hold for your combo out to 300 you were pretty well set. Only problem with no magnification most likely would be the dark steel on the stage with the run up the hill. They could be tough to see in the shadows.

I shot the match in Am last year with a Vortex Strikefire reddot on a pretty much stock DPMS carbine, it was what I had. I decided to put the doubler (2X screw in) on for the match since the dot was small and I was used to it. Since it was a screw in, I had to shoot the whole match with it installed, with a flip to side magnif. you would not need to do that. I was actually slowed down a bit due to the doubler. When engaging short range targets the magnification made it harder, in particular in and around the barrels on one stage and the close in targets on the hill stage. Those were in the shade and also stacked and put in tight to each other. With the 2x I had to bring my head up to see if I was engaging the some of the stacked targets. The ability to go with straight 1X is important IMHO, either on a reddot and magnif. or with the 1-4x scope.

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of a minor thing but I dont see who to contact. I need to downsize my T shirt to a Large please! Someone tell me who to email to update my registration if you will. Thanks.

Kind of a minor thing but I dont see who to contact. I need to downsize my T shirt to a Large please! Someone tell me who to email to update my registration if you will. Thanks.

My advice is to just mail a note to the registration address. If that does not work, I think a tub of hot water will do the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

I ahve been watching youtube from last year. I see some shooters with a slung rifle. Will I need a sling for the AM class that I am on. I had planned on bringing mine. But my shotgun is not set up for a sling right now.

On another note I wish the stages would be put up.

Schultz

I ahve been watching youtube from last year. I see some shooters with a slung rifle. Will I need a sling for the AM class that I am on. I had planned on bringing mine. But my shotgun is not set up for a sling right now.

Schultz

I don't know about AM last year, but there was one stage on the Pro side where you could sling your rifle or carry it in your weak hand while you were shooting the pistol. Be patient, when the stages go up, they will have the information that you will need to load out gear. I am sure that if slinging a shotgun is a requirement, they will tell us in plenty of time before the match.

Hurley

Thanks for the info but patience is not one of my virtues.

Schultz

This match is a bit different than normal ones all held in shooting bays. While some of the stages were in a regular bay, the majority were spread out on natural terrain. Then it becomes not only the job of designing the stages, but scouting locations and then designing around the terrain. Also a bunch of other matches held on the property throughout the year.

Last year I found the stages that were posted good to help know what gear you need on each one, but it really took looking at them on the ground to get a feel for the stages at all. Hard to visualize all of the trees, hills, etc from a stage diagram :)

Schultz

My advice is to have slings for both even if you do not have to have them for the stage. While you can drive to each stage, that does not mean your going to be parking within a few feet and having slings available cuts down a trip which means a lot by the end of the day. And if your going to be shooting this sport you are going to need them at some match in the future so go ahead and rig that shotgun.

Kent, send me an email message at LChico@msn.com

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2012 ARFCOM-Rockcastle ProAm 3 Gun Statistician

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't start looking for stages to be posted until August, many of the stage designers have very important, and more pressing things to do right now than draw up stages, for a match that is months away. Many are being put to work putting on other matches, that are less than a month away, as well as attending other matches.

Practice on those virtues, and be patient :roflol: Oh and practice on that shooting and aiming stuff too.

Kurt and I will be proofing the stages once thay are set, so while you may get an idea of what to expect from a drawing,... once you get there it could be an entirely different animal, we will be making sure that time limits, target presentations, and positions are realistic.

and I need to make sure the donkeys are watered, fed and hobbled!!! :devil:

Trapr

I wouldn't start looking for stages to be posted until August, many of the stage designers have very important, and more pressing things to do right now than draw up stages, for a match that is months away. Many are being put to work putting on other matches, that are less than a month away, as well as attending other matches.

Practice on those virtues, and be patient :roflol: Oh and practice on that shooting and aiming stuff too.

Kurt and I will be proofing the stages once thay are set, so while you may get an idea of what to expect from a drawing,... once you get there it could be an entirely different animal, we will be making sure that time limits, target presentations, and positions are realistic.

and I need to make sure the donkeys are watered, fed and hobbled!!! :devil:

Trapr

OH! OK :unsure: :unsure: What Choke in my shotgun should I use for the Pro Am?

Will The have a "Bug Out " Stage ? Can I get an "operators" pin ?

The bug out stage will involve the police and the donkeys and if you need to bug out we'll split your prize between Kurt and I.

As for choke, Jamie I am amazed that you are willing to use that word in reference to your shooting, :sight:

does you SG work now??? If not I can loan you one.

Trapr

The ROCK is looking forward to the Benelli Rockcastle Shotgun Championships this weekend! Joe and the RO's have been working very hard to set up an amazing course of fire. Team Brazil just showed up and they are ready to ROCK and Roll. Bring your A game!!

We have had a couple of rooms open up. Call 270-749-4101 if you are interested.

See you soon!!

Nick

The ROCK is looking forward to the Benelli Rockcastle Shotgun Championships this weekend! Joe and the RO's have been working very hard to set up an amazing course of fire. Team Brazil just showed up and they are ready to ROCK and Roll. Bring your A game!!

We have had a couple of rooms open up. Call 270-749-4101 if you are interested.

See you soon!!

Nick

Shotgun: never = "A game" for me more like F- or D+, the truth sucks!

Wrong thread - I called and got pretty excited that my crew might be able to get a room at the Rock for the PROAM but the waitlist is still about 40 deep. :lol:

I sure do have one for this weekend though! :cheers:

Edited by DyNo!