Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shooting the STI Tactical?

GunshineST

Hello, I am new to the world of 1911's but fell in love with the classic style, feel in the hand, sighting, trigger pull, and honestly, the .45 ACP round. After shooting a Glock 17 for many years, I have finally given in and picked up a Ranger II for every day carry.

After drooling over my buddy's Edge for the last couple of months, I decided to purchase a 2011 of my own, and my Tactical 5.0 .45 should ship out sometime next week. A few things led me to the Tactical over the Edge: the rail (double duty weapons make more sense to me), this review - search google for the officers forums tactical 5.0 review, as I don't have enough posts to have a link :mellow: - and when STI told me the Tactical was basically an Edge dressed for war, that sealed the deal.

I guess I was curious if anyone else on the forum has or shoots the Tactical, what their experience has been with it, and if there are any holster recommendations. Once I have it, I'll post a range review, but just curious what others experience has been. Thanks!

I shoot one for competition and also carry one for duty, both in .40 cal. The duty gun carry's a surfire light attached in a Safariland holster. For me it's the ultimate duty rig. I run a Bladetech holster for pistol and 3 gun match's. The Bladetech can work for concealed carry but it carry's the gun a ways from your body. I run a Dillon/Mitch Rosen leather holster that was made for a 1911 light rail gun for concealed carry. Even with the square trigger the STI fits great in this holster and it hugs tight to the body. I've had two guys that I work with buy the STI Tactical both in .45 cal. It's fun to see the smile on their face after the first magazine. Have fun with it !

I've shot one as my main competition pistol for 5 years now. I started off with one from Dawson Precision to be my house gun/ competition gun, pulling double duty. Since then I've purchased another one to be my dedicated comp gun and retired the other one to the nightstand. I've also had JPL Precision build me one with 2 slides, 5" and 6". All three guns feel the same and it is a tremendous feeling of confidence when I grab the one on my nightstand late at night to see what I heard. I've burned up maybe 70-80,000 rounds through these guns and I know I have the skills and muscle memory to make hits when needed.

Being that you bought one in .45 I would recommend shooting L10 division because of the reduced mag capacity compared to the .40 cal guns. However, shoot whatever division you want (limited, open) if you just want to run the gun in the heat of "battle". I have run the hell out of mine and love the balance of that light rail dust cover with bull barrel combo. It just feels right to me. Shoot it and enjoy!

By the way, Daniel Horner of the USAMU team uses one in 3-gun and steel and may use one in limited division. Not sure. However, he shoots his pretty damn well.

Cheers623

DVC

Thanks for the replies and holster recs; I think running the gun in the 'heat of battle' sounds like a blast, but would consider L10 if that's necessary to be competitive. It sounds like a lot of limited stages are 8 rounders, so I can see the 14 rd mag being a disadvantage. Still, I'd rather have the gun I want to shoot. Shipped yesterday, hope to do a range report in a week or so. Thanks again!

I carry a 4.15 Tactical in 9mm. no problems at all and is just as nice as my Edge. I went to the range the other day and let a friend shoot it. 4 of 5 shots were touching and the one that wasn't was his fault. he's an XDm shooter and shit better with the STI.

Sent from my cyanogen modded incredible

I bet that 9mm is a blast to shoot! I pick mine up tomorrow from my FFL shop, then will give her a good cleaning and oiling. I have 250 rounds of .45 on hand for the range on Saturday, and I somehow have the feeling that I'm going to want more :goof:

I carry a 4.15 Tactical in 9mm. no problems at all and is just as nice as my Edge. I went to the range the other day and let a friend shoot it. 4 of 5 shots were touching and the one that wasn't was his fault. he's an XDm shooter and shit better with the STI. Sent from my cyanogen modded incredible

:surprise:

ST-lax :goof:

Simply put, this thing out shoots me, and not to be punny, but it's a total blast. Maybe the most fun gun I've ever shot, or tied for it. The trigger isn't as crisp as my dawson tuned ranger, but it's a far cry from the glock I'm used to. 7 yd line became a one hole drill, and then a carnival game. 10 yds, 15 yds, didn't matter, groups never got out of 3" Of course, this gun was so much fun to fire quickly, and still kept groups in 5" firing rapidly. Next up will be some more mags and a holster - Love this pistol!

I shot my first steel match with the STI 5.0 Tactical last week and it was a great experience. I had been shooting a G17, G34, or G19 and the reduction in recoil with the STI was pretty amazing. I actually struggled the first two stages waiting for the gun, when the gun was already back on target. As a long-time 1911 shooter, I much prefer the STI trigger to the aforementioned Glock pistols as well as an XD(m) in 9mm that I also tried for a while on steel. Nothing wrong with the Glock or XD(m) - the STI just works better for me due to the trigger and added weight. I have a lot of work to do even approach shooting up to this pistol's capabilities, and I am looking forward to the experience. Don't remember if you asked this in your original post, but I am using stock STI magazines (17-round capactity) and a Blade-Tech DOH holster.

Raven, thanks for your reply! Yeah, my glock is up for sale now, as I don't think I'll want to shoot it after drinking the koolaid! I've read that this will produce 1" groups at 25 yds off a bench rest, and I believe it. Now, it's time to practice...I noticed that I'll need to retrain grip and trigger finger, as well as sighting, because the 1911 is so much different. Good thing I've got a few hundred rounds on hand!

Thanks to all for the holster recs. Rocky, I haven't been able to find the Mitch Rosen holster that you mentioned for carry...was that a custom order?

I have a STI tactical and carry it and for now its my limited gun. One pistol and it fills both needs for now. I have broken a couple of parts and had them changed out by a local smith...it is a great gun....have fun with it.

I can't recommend much on a holster, but I can say that I absolutely love my full length rail Tactical 5.0 in 45! It's right up there contending for the "my favorite gun to shoot" award!! :cheers:

how's the balance of the gun with the full lenght rail?

I can't recommend much on a holster, but I can say that I absolutely love my full length rail Tactical 5.0 in 45! It's right up there contending for the "my favorite gun to shoot" award!! :cheers:

how's the balance of the gun with the full lenght rail?

I think it's great. Feels just like my Edge! Recoil is pretty much nothing even with full house +p Rangers. :cheers:

I just bought one from a member of this forum. I can't wait to get it. This is my first limited gun. I have been shooting SS since my start in uspsa.

What caliber? You are going to love it! I think I'm going to look in to running mine in L10 since it's a .45, but still not clear on how many mags I would need. I've read the rule book, but they just don't spell it out for us ADD kids...

Congrats! :cheers: