Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chronograph for indoor use

I'm looking to pick up a chronograph...I think it is past due as I feel I'm missing a critical part of load development. Flyin' blind so to speak.

Anyway, I was looking to keep the whole thing under $200, if possible, and I was looking at the ProChrono Digital, as well as the CED M2.

The catch is, I really will need to use this at the indoor range the most, as I'm not able to reliably find a place outside (that is easy to get to).

The ProChrono seems to get great reviews on Midway, and the CED gets some tough ones. Both seem to be great units at heart though, from my research

The CED has infrared panels...which really prices it out at $100 additional, and the ProChrono has a light attachment thing that is ~$50. That is still in the Xmas present range. :rolleyes:

Will I need to use these if I'm indoors? At present it is looking like the wife will get me the ProChrono, and I'm just wondering if I need to beg the lighting attachment for it as well.

Thanks for the help!

If using indoors, stay away from fluorescent lighting. They cause chronos not to work properly.

You could make your own light source using incandescent lights but that $50 unit from pro chorno might save you some headaches.

I'm looking to pick up a chronograph...I think it is past due as I feel I'm missing a critical part of load development. Flyin' blind so to speak.

Anyway, I was looking to keep the whole thing under $200, if possible, and I was looking at the ProChrono Digital, as well as the CED M2.

The catch is, I really will need to use this at the indoor range the most, as I'm not able to reliably find a place outside (that is easy to get to).

The ProChrono seems to get great reviews on Midway, and the CED gets some tough ones. Both seem to be great units at heart though, from my research

The CED has infrared panels...which really prices it out at $100 additional, and the ProChrono has a light attachment thing that is ~$50. That is still in the Xmas present range. :rolleyes:

Will I need to use these if I'm indoors? At present it is looking like the wife will get me the ProChrono, and I'm just wondering if I need to beg the lighting attachment for it as well.

Thanks for the help!

Start begging the wife. You MUST use an indoor light setup. The good news is that the Pro Chrono works great. The one catch is that you must plug it into a wall socket. I made a battery box that works very well. I also use it at outdoor ranges. It helps stabilize erractic readings due to changing light conditions. Link. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=124786

I have the CED M2 with infrared and the thing is amazing. Well worth the money. Quick and easy to use. With the infrared unit you get very few misreads. BTW - do not try the flashlight on the filter trick it leads to very erronous readings, tends to be 10-20% low.