Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Warren knows his stuff

LtCop

I finally made the decision to move up from the metallic division to the open division in Action Pistol. I had been waffling on whether to stay in metallic or not, but several factors forced the move, eyesight being the main reason. This year was my first in Action Pistol. It was a bumpy ride, but I've learned a lot along the way. I shot the Bianchi Cup as a bucket list thing, now I'm hooked.

I hadn't shot a revolver in probably 18 years, but decided for a Bianchi Cup gun I wanted to go "back to" a revolver. I haven't regretted the decision at all. I found a K frame S&W model 64 PPC gun on an online gun auction site and bought it. The gun has proved to be more accurate that I could have ever hoped for. My best group to date has been 5 shots in a 1 1/8 group from 50 yards shooting prone with metalic sights. I'm shooting a load that Warren recommended and it has become my go to load for next years AP competitions.

I spent the day at Warren Moores Lenexa Ks. shop the day after Thanksgiving having him work on my revolver. Choosing Warren to work on my gun was a "no brainer" as far as I'm concerned. He knows his stuff. We met at 9am and talked about what I wanted done to the gun. First off was a Stick Shift mover mount. I had two certificates for 25% off each from Warren for a Stick Shift. I won both of them last year, one at the Cameron Cup in Hallsville, the other at the Region X match in Bates City. Warren milled the underneath side of one of his auto mounts to fit my revolver. Next he bead blasted the mount back down to bare aluminum to match the matte finish on my gun. Three mounting holes later he mounted the stick shift and then topped it with my new Ultradot Matchdot (also recommened by Warren and Tim Altenberger). Next Warren made a finger stop and wings for the gun. These were both custom made from aluminum bar stock, he routered the edges and then bead blasted each to match the gun. While he was at it I had him bob the hammer. Warren wasn't satisfied with the trigger pull on the gun so he popped the side cover off and I learned that the gun had never had any trigger work at all done to it. This was a bit of a surprise as it had been built by Behlert Precision back in 1990. I received the build sheet for the gun when I purchased it this summer showing that a trigger job had been performed. The original owner had never shot the gun, and it had spent the last 11 years sitting in his safe. None the less, the gun needed a complete trigger job and Warren had it smoothed up in no time. What a difference he made with that trigger! Now the trigger is so smooth it's going to take me a while to get used to it. At 5pm Warren finished up the last detail on the gun.

I was finally able to get out with the gun this afternoon and sight it in. I was limited on time so decided to shoot at 15 yards to get it zeroed for now. Four shots later it was perfect. I checked the mover lead and found that it is probably already set close enough to where I need it not to even worry about re adjusting it. Warren's attention to detail and craftsmanship is superb. I spent a very enjoyable day in his shop and couldn't be happier with how the gun turned out! Thanks Warren!

I'll try to get some pics loaded soon.

Time to place that order with Zero bullets now...........

Warren and I were in business together several years ago. He taught me how to run a metal mill and lathe and many other things. I consider him family.

Thanks for the nice write up of Warren. He usually doesn't get the credit he deserves. ...I've seen his Stick Shift mount and his revolver sights used in many published pictures with never any mention of him or his product.

Darren

[edited for typo]

Edited by ExtremeShot

You've been a big help to me Warren and I really appreciate it. I shot the gun again today and am simply amazed with it. I put 4 shots in a 3/8 inch cluster at 20 yards then shot two 6 shot strings, one measured 3/4", the other 7/8 of an inch. I must have gotten rough on the trigger during the last group :angry2: ! The Ultradot is pretty darn slick and just what I needed. The trigger job you did to the gun is very sweet too. I haven't had a chance to try out the barricade wings yet, but am looking forward to giving that a try next. I took some pictures of the gun today, I will try to get them loaded in the next day or two so everyone can see your work.

That's my Warren! He's very good at what he does. Very conscientious, too, and even if I weren't biased, I'd STILL say that. He did work on some of my guns before we got together, and he couldn't have paid more attention to detail.

Tracy, Warren's "significant other" and biggest fan

Edited by thock

Ok, for those that wanted to see Warren's work on my new open revolver, here it is. My first time for posting pics, so hope it works. The prone pad is my own design and fabrication, its made from a solid piece of burled walnut, don't be to harsh on me. The gun stand isn't finished yet, I've got a few more things to do to it before it's finished.

post-30777-0-49044200-1322752713_thumb.j

post-30777-0-41151300-1322752735_thumb.j

post-30777-0-64110200-1322752760_thumb.j

Ok, for those that wanted to see Warren's work on my new open revolver, here it is. My first time for posting pics, so hope it works. The prone pad is my own design and fabrication, its made from a solid piece of burled walnut, don't be to harsh on me. The gun stand isn't finished yet, I've got a few more things to do to it before it's finished.

Looks good, John. It's going to be good to see everyone again next year. Be sure to practice this winter. Don't let the cold keep you from it.

I think I've had a few things done by Warren as well. A couple things that I'm not allowed to talk about. He's the man. One of a very small list of people that I'd trust with one of my guns.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I'm very pleased with the job Warren did on my gun. I think it turned out great. I'll try to get over to the Brickyard in January for some trigger time. Are you staying in the Metalic division for 2012?

Thanks Chris! I'm very pleased with the job Warren did on my gun. I think it turned out great. I'll try to get over to the Brickyard in January for some trigger time. Are you staying in the Metalic division for 2012?

Yeah, I think so. I'm going to give it one more year to see if I improve any farther. If not, time for the dark side. Be watching for you in January.

Chris

Yeah, I think so. I'm going to give it one more year to see if I improve any farther. If not, time for the dark side. Be watching for you in January.

Chris

I was in Lee's Summit this last weekend. I drove out to the Brickyard range just to see where it is. I've got 4000 Zero bullets on order now, hopefully they will be here by March so I can start reloading and practicing for the Cup in April. Good luck in Metallic, I thought long and hard about what I should do and everything pointed to going the open route for me.

John