Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing A Match due to Dealer Inflicted Car Problem

CocoBolo

Four day Weekend most matches cancelled 21/2 hours down the road 8 Steel Challenge Stages, I'm ready to go shoot. 6 am I loadup back the car out of the shop and notice a puddle on the shop floor. Its oil, well ok pull back in jack it up and its the drain plug leaking, looks loose 14mm wrench should fix it, wrong its stripped out.

I've been taking the Car to the dealership since it was new now has 130K on it, because they wash it vacumme it and change the oil for $29.00, yesterday they were busy and it took a while. Now what I hate is missing the match cause the guy that did it knew it and sent me on my way to blow my engine up when all the oil had leaked out. Tomorrow should be interesting when I show up at 7 am.

Sure people that don't do anything don't make any mistakes, but when you make one you need to own it.

Insult to Injury, I was going to ride with a friend, he got called into work, another friend cancelled because his office got broken into and they stole all his suff, and another got his kitchen passed revoked, but heck you are either a shooter or your not, so I was going.

Edited by CocoBolo

14mm? Toyota? I drive nothing but Toyotas and love them

BUT here is why I don't like their service:

When I bought my new truck I went to get a case of oil filters as I like to change my own oil. A buddy of mine knew a tech at the dealership. He walks out and just hands me the case of filters! I'm like, "What's this?". He says take them, they are already paid for. He proceeded to tell me it is normal practice to NOT change the filter on cars that come in for a change with less than the recommended number of miles on the car even though they charge the customer the full price!surprise.gif To top it off he said it is generally older people who bring their car in every three months or three thousand miles like clock work. This is another reason why my signature line is "don't trust anybody".

No matter where I take my car to get worked on I always position myself so I can see the work actually being done.

My local Ford dealer now charges an additional $3.00 "documentation" fee for all service work. This is to reimburse them for the time their office staff uses filing my service records (I asked em). I never went back after that.

Edited by anachronism

Four day Weekend most matches cancelled 21/2 hours down the road 8 Steel Challenge Stages, I'm ready to go shoot. 6 am I loadup back the car out of the shop and notice a puddle on the shop floor. Its oil, well ok pull back in jack it up and its the drain plug leaking, looks loose 14mm wrench should fix it, wrong its stripped out.

I've been taking the Car to the dealership since it was new now has 130K on it, because they wash it vacumme it and change the oil for $29.00, yesterday they were busy and it took a while. Now what I hate is missing the match cause the guy that did it knew it and sent me on my way to blow my engine up when all the oil had leaked out. Tomorrow should be interesting when I show up at 7 am.

Sure people that don't do anything don't make any mistakes, but when you make one you need to own it.

Insult to Injury, I was going to ride with a friend, he got called into work, another friend cancelled because his office got broken into and they stole all his suff, and another got his kitchen passed revoked, but heck you are either a shooter or your not, so I was going.

You have back up guns for matches, right? Why don't you have a back up vehicle? Coco, you aren't prepared....

Local Chevy dealer uses impact wrenches to change oil. First time taking it there they stripped mine out. 30k on the truck and the oil plug is stripped. I change all my fluids myself now.

10 percent unemployment rate and they have these kinda monkies working on stuff.

You have back up guns for matches, right? Why don't you have a back up vehicle? Coco, you aren't prepared....

Grumpy one you know better than that my 1996 Chevy Silvardo Extened cab stood at the ready tank nearly empty some how thorwing $75 worth of gas in it to go to a match kind of took my enthusiam I had left after the plug thing.

Tomorrow I've decided that the only acceptale remediation is for them to replace the oil pan and give me a rent car. What ever it takes it will happen!

I took my daughters car to get the CV joints replaced, they forgot to put oil in the transmission after having the axles out, almost go home with it. They replaced the transmission. PITA. I held their feet to the fire.

Edited by CocoBolo

Interesting remediation, brought it in and just said it leaked, 20 minutes later they bring it out and tell me it don't leak. Ok so I spill the beans that the drain plug is stripped and they have done every oil change since the car was new. So the take a second look, now its on the rack getting a new oil pan.

:roflol:

Grumpy one you know better than that my 1996 Chevy Silvardo Extened cab stood at the ready tank nearly empty some how thorwing $75 worth of gas in it to go to a match kind of took my enthusiam I had left after the plug thing.

Tomorrow I've decided that the only acceptale remediation is for them to replace the oil pan and give me a rent car. What ever it takes it will happen!

I took my daughters car to get the CV joints replaced, they forgot to put oil in the transmission after having the axles out, almost go home with it. They replaced the transmission. PITA. I held their feet to the fire.

You ain't a shooter..... :roflol:

Edited by GrumpyOne

:roflol:

You ain't a shooter..... :roflol:

Well you might have a point there. So I get the new oil pan they wash the car the guy thinks we are done. Wrong, now we need to talk about compensating me for my inconvience, after a brief discussion with the Service Mangager, I walk out with a $100 service coupon and 2 free oil changes. They did offer to come to my house and clean my shop floor as well.

Albiet they do have one not so talented worker, they owned their error made it right. Not that common these days.

Edited by CocoBolo

I got mine changed the day I boiught one of the fleet pick-ups from work. I'm driving down the freeway, and I see white smoke trailing behind me. I pulled over immediately. I managed to watch the last of my oil drain from the engine. The drain plug is missing. I take a picture with my phone and send it to the mechanic with the caption, "Where do you think I am?"

He was there in ten minutes with a new drain plug and oil. He then gave me some cash to get my truck washed, as the oily smoke did a bit of a number on the rear of the truck. He also reimbursed me for the oil change too.

So while I was a bit pissed about the whole thing, I did like how he handled the whole thing.

JZ

From what I understand pan is softer than the plug, that way the pan can dent when you hit a small rock and the plug stays in when you hit it.

Tyre shops are just as bad, one goof down here was working onmy wifes car and I happened to call in when he was cranking on an Air wrench putting on the wheels. He was like it was NASCAR. I watched him finish up cracking the nuts on and then went to the trunk, pulled out the wheel star and asked him to undo the lot as I stood onthe air wrench. His boss was not happy as he bruised his knuckles a couple of times "trying" to get teh wheel nuts off.

I then watch him carefully take them all off and put them on by hand and then check them with a torque wrench.

Guess who will get called when that tyre goes flat at some god awful hour of the night and the lady of the house can't undo the nuts.

Never been back.

Since then I have replace 6 sets of tyres across 5 vehicles and they missed out on all of it. Probably upwards of $6k worth of work.

I thought the threads on the plugs were normally softer than the pan, so if it stripped you didn't have to replace the pan. Either way at least they took care of you.

Nope! I worked as a mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership for 5 years and never came across a stripped drain plug, it was always the threads in the pan. There are oversize drain plugs that will cut the threads deeper as you turn them in, and they usually come in 4 steps for when you strip out the oversize plug! We used to call them '4 way' plugs because of the four slots in the plug's threads to enable it to cut the new threads. When you unscrew one of them the oil starts squirting out 4 ways before you can get the plug all the way out! :roflol:

Ok might as well add this one. How about a dipstick that breaks your dip stick. I take the wife's 2001 Nissan Sentra for an oil change, after a while the magazine I was reading wore out so I look into the shop and see the guy under the hood swinging a 2# shop hammer hittin what looks like a 2 foot long punch. Directly the shop manager comes over and asks if I need a ride back to work since the ran into a bit of a snag, They broke the dip stick so they were trying to drive it into the pan so they could stick another one in, go figure. Well I immediately took charge when the pair wanted to remove the oil pan. Could you imagine. I told them to order a new dip stick tube and another dip stick, I took a pair of pliers pulled the tube and the old pice of dip stick. When the new parts came in I put them in, and the guy hands me the bill for the old change. I said your kidding right. A week later the place was for lease.

I have never done it myself, but insiderpages.com is where you need to go to pitch your gripe about a particular business. I have known other shooters who have posted stuff on there about other businesses.

when people google search for a business, they'll find it, and there will be an option to click on reviews. that will most likely take them to insiderpages.com .